Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are reading this, have gone thru the forum Archives on the 96/99's, have a smattering of mechanical ability, and been to as many lame suzuki dealers/ mechamics as I have...then you know we have a problem.
In this area of Texas, apparently, the Carb'd Gixxers are considered antiques.
The Marque wrenches have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge and can pop FI
modelsof virtually any brand out of the shop bays fast enough to keep their bosses/owners happy and therefore keep their jobs -there's a lot more drama to being a wrench than you might imagine-. But when it comes to the carb'd versions (96' 750 gixxer & a 92 1100 GN in my case) because they are carb'd the rule of thumb is to try and sell you a new bike or a used FI model, not in my game plan.
These bikes can easily run for 20 years, will still pull the front end up, and can do over 140mph. Handling, while not state of the art, will let the 750 see a track day or so. The 1100 is for Commuting, Cruising big miles, or smoking the state roads at high speed with my son - let's face it this part of the world has mostly flat, no-curves, drudge scenery roads good for only one thing -haulin ass-.
Back to the forum.
There is some tasty stuff,
Cam chain tensioner swap -auto to manual-. Good cam alignment tip there.
Carb adjustment.
Wiring/electricals/lighting.
No starts.
Exhaust popping, after doing the paired carb vacuum mod (why would you do that?), or adding a Can, adding a K&N or other low restriction air cleaner.
Some thin threads on re-jetting to lean things out.
And limited bodywork/replacement panel/ andwheel stuff.
From my limited experience with the 750 Gixxers and a quick read thru the entire forum I'd say our issues aren't in the big number range.
No starts -allied to electrical issues
No starts -allied to fuel/carb issues
Poor performance -Yeah, sure! The previous owner did have a complete top end service done ( at least that's what the guy he bought it off of 4 years ago said).
Get it done! Peace of mind and a good performing geriatric gixxer is worth it.
Need to keep a book on at least the major services or you will be truly screwed.
Rough running/stalls/quitting on the road- simple electrical tighten those terminals- or bad plugs, or running way to rich
Rough running, stuttering, bogging at certain RPMS/road speeds - same as above plus need a hotter plug, lean the mix go back to stock pipes.
Handling issues do not seem to abound but will be the result of leaking forks, incorrect quantity of oil i one or both forks, worn out rear shock, bent/unbalance wheels and rarely worn swing arm bushings.
There are some odd ones but these, in general are the ass-biters.
If you read all the threads these are the most common and reoccuring issues.
We need to bring them to a tool box based on the newbie thread... basically look here FIRST!
Some guy's do follow ups . "Here's what the problem turned out to be, and how I fixed it', kind of follow ups.
If you are like me and plan to hang on to your elderly 750 gixxer you have to realize that after 50,000 miles we fall into a whole new series of glitches and parts failures. So identifying the problems and applying the fix is easier if the bike was up to speed on all the crap up above. And if you post you the glitch that will give the rest of us a heads up and possibly send help your way.
If you don't have a shop manual... Go to bugmans site there's a link to purchase the books.
BTW this applies to the 600 gixxer crowd as well.
This forum is the best one I've found but we need to do a little tweaking.
SAVE YOUR OLD PARTS pipes lights ect sell em to forum members, you can make some bucks and the buyer can save some.:cheers :cool

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
LONG live the srads! Long live the w/c's! Long live carbed anythings!
Yes...most shops dont want to touch carbed bikes or anything from the 80's/90's!
10,000.00 worth of tools and 10.00 worth of knowledge!
If it wont plug & play then just stay away is the current philosophy.
There are few diagnosticians left in the world these days.
Remove and replace (at customers expense) till the problem gets solved.
A spot on carbed bike will runs as well, if not better than an fi bike ANY day! OOPS...Im showing my age here! OOPS!

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
if im not mistaken, the current 600's are just now catching up to the straight away speeds of the srad's..my 98 turned a 10:51 in the 1/4..stock. (750)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah, they are a bit over the hill. But I still love them. And this place is a pretty good source of people who still know a bit about these bikes.

A really good rider on a well sorted SRAD will still kill an average rider on a new 750.

ALL HAIL the mighty SRAD's!!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
kYE said:
ALL HAIL the mighty SRAD's!!
+1 :punk

I'm planning on getting a newer 600 (probably leftover '06 if I can find one) next year but I'm surely keeping my SRAD :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great thread!! I know your pain and everyone else's. Still have my baby. Original 96' 750. 57,000kms on her. Have had a number of problems though and alot of what you have stated. Most recently the bike not running well like its sounding like a twin or running rough. YES WE NEED TO POST PROBLEMS AND FOLLOW UP. I LOVE the look and handling of the bike. Lets keep up to pace and rock on!! :punk

Rzr

·
Yaah I know!
1,020 Posts
I love the SRAD 7000 Kms here no issues

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
yea, theres something about those big air intakes and dual headlights that just isnt on the newer scooters..i always get compliments on my bike when im out and about...

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Razor 20,
Pull the plugs, if wet or fouled replace them with platinums.
My son, Zacks' 750 got so bad it sounded like it was running full choke then like a two banger dirt bike. the plugs should put you back on the road.
However if you have a can or K&N , or both you need to get your carbs adjusted asap.
We still haven't found a wrench with carb experience.
I'm hoping to swap the Micron header back system with a Yosh then beg Yosh for some guidance -jetting, fuel/air mix... they wereon top of this issue once and still might have some info.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
oshweeken said:
I love the SRAD 7000 Kms here no issues
7000km on a bike that's at least 7 years old? :wtf Do you just use that thing for looking at? :scratch I can understand if it's a track bike, but a street bike? :wtf

:p

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
deadgarage said:
Sponge,
If that's your ride ...it's a clean machine.
Is the Yosh can powdercoated or just painted blue?
yea, thats my scooter,, i cut about 3" off of the can, and
then painted it with engine paint..:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
deadgarage said:
Razor 20,
Pull the plugs, if wet or fouled replace them with platinums.
My son, Zacks' 750 got so bad it sounded like it was running full choke then like a two banger dirt bike. the plugs should put you back on the road.
However if you have a can or K&N , or both you need to get your carbs adjusted asap.
We still haven't found a wrench with carb experience.
I'm hoping to swap the Micron header back system with a Yosh then beg Yosh for some guidance -jetting, fuel/air mix... they wereon top of this issue once and still might have some info.
Thanks for the info deadgarage. I had looked at them before and were not wet or really that bad. I do have rust in the tank and have a spare that I may swap to see if its plugin the fuel filter when riding. Other than that I LOVE MY RIDE.

Razor

·
Yaah I know!
1,020 Posts
SVS said:
7000km on a bike that's at least 7 years old? :wtf Do you just use that thing for looking at? :scratch I can understand if it's a track bike, but a street bike? :wtf

:p
It's just a pleasure ride I have other things to do and ride I got an LC4 640 KTM Adventure, Crf 450 for racing and a jet ski. hard to do all the things in like 8 months of riding season

·
Registered
441 Posts
may The Mighty Srad Live Forever!!!! 97 Gsx-r750/864 Bigbore. I Will Probably Start A Srad Refuge One Day!!!. Airborne!!!!

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
jimbo said:
may The Mighty Srad Live Forever!!!! 97 Gsx-r750/864 Bigbore. I Will Probably Start A Srad Refuge One Day!!!. Airborne!!!!
i have a big bore kit ready for mine(800)..tell me about yours...was there a differance?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.