Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it\'s time for a chain??

I adjusted the chain last night, in anticipation of this morning's ride. Took off this morning and there's a noise coming from the back. Came back home and tried to readjust the chain, only to find out that there's a tight spot in the chain. What will cause this? The sprockets look fine...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Re: I guess it\'s time for a chain??

unless the tight spot is bad, like 1/2" here and 2 1/2"play there. just adjust it at the tightest point.

they say that lack of oil/maintenance can cause the tight spot, but it seems to happen to me over time regardless. think its just wear and tear.

plus, much better to replace the chain/sprockets as a set.

·
Registered
781 Posts

That tight spot means the beginning of the end of that chain. It could have been done by lack of lubrication/cleaning or maybe the chain is simply too old. I just changed the stock chain and sprockets on mine at 11000 miles and it had just one tight spot. Nothing kills chains faster than gritty road slime in winter, make this chain last through the winter if you don't ride very often in shite weather. Try cleaning the chain and gently losening that tight spot. Changing both sprockets and chain at the same time would be a better idea as old parts would wear the new one out.

·
Registered
781 Posts

Oops, just noticed that you are in Texas. No grit in winter over there I suppose. It's pissing down raining here

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Raz,
I was over at Chicksands back in the '80's. Froze my balls off!! Coldest rain I've ever been exposed to.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Ah, the memories of my old KMX125 come flooding back. left untouched for about 4 months over winter and i come back to find you could practically hold the chain straight out in front of you

being the poor student that i was at the time it meant many hours sat on the garage floor with an oil bath and a pair of pliers.

Ah, happy days!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hey Nico,
Email the guy that had the auction, it's a motorcycle supply shop in San Diego, I bet he has more....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts