Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the most squiodly thing in my career on bikes about two weeks ago. It was a Thursday and I went and bought an oil filter and some oil for my bike. I went over to my mom's (where I keep my baby in a garage because I live in an apartment) to change my oil and take her out for a quick spin. I removed the left fairing and started in on changing the oil. I took off the drain plug and let her piss out the oil. I took off the filter and replaced it with the new one. I put the drain plug bolt back in hand tight. I poured in the oil and got it to the correct level. I cleaned off any oil that got on the headers and put the fairing back on. I threw on my jacket, boots, gloves and helmet. Have you figured out what I forgot? I went out and then ran into some friends. They were going to do some wheelies and video it. They begged me to go so I did. I rode two mile or more wheelies on the interstate. No that's not the stupid part, there was hardly any traffic where we were. We then went to a road in a manufacturing park where there are hardly any cars and road second gear wheelies for a while. We then went back to one of the guy's house with us to watch the video. One thing that sucked was that the girl videoing only got part of my second miler wheelie. After all this I was on my way home running around 95-100 mph down the interstate at 12:30 a.m.

Here is where the squiodly part comes into play. I was going around a slight curve with not too much of a lean angle but angle enough. All of the sudden the back of my bike was coming out beside me. I was thinking that I had a flat. Once I finally got it straight I turned to look and saw black shit pouring out of my bike. I immediately killed the motor and coasted to a stop at the exit I had to get off to take my bike back home. You got it, I didin't tighten my oil drain bolt. I was lucky that the motor had oil left in it. It finished leaking probably another quart or two when I stopped. I called a friend and he got another friend of mine to pick me up in his truck. We took the oil covered bike home and I washed it the best I could. It was 3 a.m. by the time I got finished.

I am so lucky that bolt didn't come out when I was on the back tire.

Flame away.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Oil? Why the hell would you put oil in your bike? Don't you know it's not needed, just hyped by the oil industry...

You can, however, put diesel oil in your tank for better torque and milage

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did something similar, i changed my brake fluid, and didn't tighten the bleeders, then after it popped out on me while riding, i realized when i tried to do a quick stop from 100, luckily it was my back brake so i still had the front to stop (which was really all i needed) BUT i coudlnt' find anyone in town who had a bleeder screw so i went to ace hardware and got a regular screw that i figured was the same size, and it fit perfectly, but when i refilled my fluid again, it leaked out as soon as i pumped the brakes because the new screw had totally stripped the hole. So because of that little screw up i had to buy a new rear brake
and to top it off, i brought one on ebay for 16 bucks plus shipping, and got screwed by a guy who never shipped it. So it ended up eventually costing me about 60-70 bucks lol.... Always check everything TWICE or three times when you do random maintainence, and never do it when your in a rush to go out and ride, thats what i learned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
DUMB SQUID you shoulda known better!!!!!!.
No, just kidding. Crap happens, the important thing is that you learned from it. Everyone does something stupid every once in a while, just glad your still here to tell us about it. Anyway, try VASELINE........it is really slick and won't leak out so quick. Great stuff.........I change it about every 2000 or so miles. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did the same thing, but the plug came out IN THE RAIN and ON AN EXIT RAMP that I normally took at 45mph. I got a bit scared when I had the back end almost caught up to the front end. I kept it upright tho and called the bike shop that I worked at so they could come get it, and take us to work lol. The service dept. guys never let me live that down, tho I got a free plug and oil change out of the deal.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did the most squiodly thing in my career on bikes about two weeks ago. It was a Thursday and I went and bought an oil filter and some oil for my bike. I went over to my mom's (where I keep my baby in a garage because I live in an apartment) to change my oil and take her out for a quick spin. I removed the left fairing and started in on changing the oil. I took off the drain plug and let her piss out the oil. I took off the filter and replaced it with the new one. I put the drain plug bolt back in hand tight. I poured in the oil and got it to the correct level. I cleaned off any oil that got on the headers and put the fairing back on. I threw on my jacket, boots, gloves and helmet. Have you figured out what I forgot? I went out and then ran into some friends. They were going to do some wheelies and video it. They begged me to go so I did. I rode two mile or more wheelies on the interstate. No that's not the stupid part, there was hardly any traffic where we were. We then went to a road in a manufacturing park where there are hardly any cars and road second gear wheelies for a while. We then went back to one of the guy's house with us to watch the video. One thing that sucked was that the girl videoing only got part of my second miler wheelie. After all this I was on my way home running around 95-100 mph down the interstate at 12:30 a.m.

Here is where the squiodly part comes into play. I was going around a slight curve with not too much of a lean angle but angle enough. All of the sudden the back of my bike was coming out beside me. I was thinking that I had a flat. Once I finally got it straight I turned to look and saw black shit pouring out of my bike. I immediately killed the motor and coasted to a stop at the exit I had to get off to take my bike back home. You got it, I didin't tighten my oil drain bolt. I was lucky that the motor had oil left in it. It finished leaking probably another quart or two when I stopped. I called a friend and he got another friend of mine to pick me up in his truck. We took the oil covered bike home and I washed it the best I could. It was 3 a.m. by the time I got finished.

Flame away.
Try welding your drain plug.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts

Flame away.

I didn't read anything, it's too long.

·
Premium Member
26,407 Posts

Flame away.
It's no fun for us when you flame yourself as a squid already.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oil? Why the hell would you put oil in your bike? Don't you know it's not needed, just hyped by the oil industry...

You can, however, put diesel oil in your tank for better torque and milage
I actually perfer urine not only do you get peak performance but it wont cost you a dime either

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
thats not squidly. thats just fucking stupid.

can happen to the best of us. luckily i noticed i hadnt torqued up my rear axle bolt after the last time it was off. D'oh.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next time use red loctite on your drain plug that should hold it !
Yeah, I will have to remember that. I didn't even think about breaking out the locktite.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ye i'd just consider that a careless mistake, not really squid
Fuck that. It was squidly as hell and you know it.

Add a weld with that "red" loctite and you won't ever have to worry about the next drain plug coming off(EVER)

·
Registered
115 Posts
who needs oil anyway... i run sawdust in my bike... dont you know sawdust is the best lubricant? i also run spray-foam in my tires instead of air... works way better.

ive made that stupid mistake too... i forgot to tighten the drain plug the other day when i was changing my blinker fluid... luckily i blew a tire and the spray foam got all over my blinker fluid resevoir and sealed it up though.

did i really just bother to type all that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts