Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
^^^ that pic just made me nearly pass out !!!!

Op congrats on new bike , as already said you will find all bikes compromise in some way ... It's up too you to find the one that best suits your needs.

I have a collection of all sorts of bikes , I must admit I prefer supersport style bikes purely for the feel and performance ... Though other styles of bikes are still heaps of fun but just a different 'flavor'
Ha Ha. Thats what you get in Romania off roading. Well NOW, the whole bike has been taken apart and going through a thorough clean. New front pads, New rear disc and pad (completely destroyed on the mountain passes trying to keep up with a KTM 990 smt - it could be down to my crap riding skills :-(), oil & filter change. Exhaust repacked and repolished by Racefit. All bearings checked etc etc.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
naked or fairings matters little. How she laps is the only real measurement of her worth.
I think there's a lot more to it than that. :dunno:biggrin

·
Registered
595 Posts
I wont deny the new GSX-S1000 are really nice bikes and comfy; I damn near bought one myself.

That was until I got a brand new ZX-10R even cheaper than the GSX-S1000 :)

I think your going to far saying supersports are a dumb idea, and then you make it worse by presuming to tell everyone here we would be better served with your choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Even better is to have both :thumbup
I missed the feel of the "racebike with turn signals" of my ZX-6R, love my Ninja 1000 to death but i also love my little Gixxer.
Two different riding experiences...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The funny thing is that I could argue this about sport cars. It's more comfortable, offers most of the performance, handle just as well or better, is enclosed, and has AC. Why bother with a motorcycle in states that get hot and where you cannot laneshare?
At the end of the day, we enjoy sportbikes for what they are. Even when there are things that offer most of the performance and have other benefits, they're not the same.
False argument I'm afraid, you don't get stuck in traffic on a motorbike so around town it's faster than any Ferrari.

When you get out on the twisty single lane roads you can pass whole queues of cars without a problem - even the fastest sports car can't do this!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
False argument I'm afraid, you don't get stuck in traffic on a motorbike so around town it's faster than any Ferrari.

When you get out on the twisty single lane roads you can pass whole queues of cars without a problem - even the fastest sports car can't do this!
:nono

Here is the US lane splitting is illegal except for California.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

Hypothetical scenario here,but: my money would be on a modern Ferrari driven by a skilled pilot vs any bike in the twisties. Those cars handle amazing and have a tremendous traction advantage once the road gets tight.:cheers

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hypothetical scenario here,but: my money would be on a modern Ferrari driven by a skilled pilot vs any bike in the twisties. Those cars handle amazing and have a tremendous traction advantage once the road gets tight.:cheers
If the roads are empty then yes I totally agree, but over here you always hit traffic.

But a motorbike can use the small gaps between the lanes so you don't always need to be clear of oncoming traffic. Also when you get a queue of cars behind a slow vehicle they often drive too close together to overtake one at a time in a car, where as on a bike you can always squeeze back without a problem.

Bottom line is, Ferrari is better with no traffic but as soon as it gets busy (which is always in the UK) the bike wins!

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts

1. Only California allows lanesharing in the US, so this is a false argument in that it only applies in some conditions and not for all. In the other states, you get to sit in the heat AND the traffic just like everyone else, except you don't have AC. The advantage is that you can weave. But you have no AC. And since most places have traffic and no splitting laws, the bike loses. If you can split, cool story. But that's not a possibility in the states. And this is coming from someone that daily drove a motorcycle in California to get through traffic faster (saved me about 30 minutes each way).

2. Sport cars have more traction and will outhandle a sport bike. This concept is beyond a dead horse, no matter how much people want to argue it. The advantage motorcycles have is sheer acceleration. But throw it against something like a ZR1, which is still 10mph slower in the quarter mile, and a good driver, you will only be seeing tail lights in the corners. A slightly modified S1000RR ran a 7:23 on the Nurburgring, which is slightly slower than a Z06 and about 3.4 seconds slower than a ZR1 in production form. That's a bike that traps about 20mph faster than the Z06 and 10mph faster than the ZR1. They're cars you can drive to and from work in relative comfort, with AC and radio. And there are quite a few more sport cars that went faster, some as fast as 20 seconds quicker around the track (Aventador SV). As far as the Andy's lap, which you might see as a 7:10, to compare it to these lap times is a 7:24. Just in case that's brought up.

Like @oldgixxer, my money is on a sport car.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like my gsxr but going to fighter it theni get the best of both better up right riding postion as ride it to work most day but still wont the power ect of a sport bike.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I'd like to see a Ferrari get past that queue quicker than a bike;)
Stop, just stop.

You are making illogical arguments. If you want to go there, a monster truck will make it past all of that faster than either a Ferrari or a bike because it can go offroad and take shortcuts. Both are equally illegal.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Stop, just stop.

You are making illogical arguments. If you want to go there, a monster truck will make it past all of that faster than either a Ferrari or a bike because it can go offroad and take shortcuts. Both are equally illegal.
It's not illegal, dotted white line in the middle means overtaking is allowed. When the cars come the other direction you just squeeze onto your side of the road between the gaps and then off you go again - normal practice here.

Okay this is an extreme, but more common is a a line cars behind a truck doing 50 mph, easy on a bike as you take one or two at once and slip back in, but very hard to overtake in a car.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
It's not illegal, dotted white line in the middle means overtaking is allowed. When the cars come the other direction you just squeeze onto your side of the road between the gaps and then off you go again - normal practice here.

Okay this is an extreme, but more common is a a line cars behind a truck doing 50 mph, easy on a bike as you take one or two at once and slip back in, but very hard to overtake in a car.
Here in the US, aside from California, it is illegal.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Here in the US, aside from California, it is illegal.
Overtaking is illegal? It's not lane splitting it's just passing and slipping back in. I guess I don't understand your laws...

But also, if you want to be legal isn't the speed limit 60mph anyhow, so it would be much of a race with the Ferrari anyhow :grin2:

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Lol this thread is getting ridiculous

21 - 40 of 52 Posts