Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Wait,how do I go around corners again???
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in my gixxer 600 for a new GSX-S1000 and wow what a bike.

I no longer get sore after long rides like I did on me gixxer.

I think a supersport is generally a dumb idea unless you only do short rides.

The reason my new bike is better than a gixxer:
-much more comfortable upright riding position
-way torquier, much more usable power for street riding
-more comfy seat
-slightly better fuel economy (yes, despite 400 more cc's)
-not buzzy on the highway, much lower rpm at highway speeds
-has a fuel gauge, and a miles-to-empty estimation number

I think many of you would be better served with a GSXS than a GSXR. In the past, people were forced to choose between an uncomfortable supersport that was fast and had high quality components, or if they wanted something comfortable they had to sacrifice quality/speed and get something with much lower quality components, because manufacturers only put their best quality stuff on the supersports and compromised on their touring bikes. That's no longer the case, with bikes like teh GSX-S1000, Z1000, Ninja 1000, Tuono, S1000R, and some others. My bike has the same Brembo brakes as a GSXR, equally good fully adjustable suspension, Suzuki did not compromise on anything.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Kind of dumb to be dissing gsxrs..... on a gsxr forum :scratch

By extension, we'd all be better off running out and buying goldwing trikes. Even more comfortable with a stereo and some decent trunk space.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
Welcome to the early-to-mid 2000s.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
LOL! I embrace the back, shoulder and neck pain! I love every aspect about a sport bike!

Not saying I don't want one of those S1000's though...show us some pics...

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
The funny thing is that I could argue this about sport cars. It's more comfortable, offers most of the performance, handle just as well or better, is enclosed, and has AC. Why bother with a motorcycle in states that get hot and where you cannot laneshare?
At the end of the day, we enjoy sportbikes for what they are. Even when there are things that offer most of the performance and have other benefits, they're not the same.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Hmm I stopped getting sore a long time ago . Long rides aren't bad for me at all. Anyway glad you like your new ride . Stay safe and enjoy the twisties.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Supersport is a dumb idea???????..................Seriously mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Different strokes for different people. I love my GSXR :)

I am glad you like your purchase otherwise what's the point in riding a bike you don't like.

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
Welcome to the early-to-mid 2000s.
Yeah no shit. In fact, welcome to motorcycles. Naked bikes have been around the block a few times and the aftermarket has had the guys who prefer to sit upright coverd with the go-fast bits that the "R" bikes would otherwise come with for years.

Congrats on your purchase. I'd take a naked bike anyday as someone who loves all bikes but for me it would be in addition to and NOT a replacement of my beloved GSX-R. Ride on.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
The only naked bike I want to ride: FS 450

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
BTW...who buys these things for long rides anyway? If looking for an Iron Butt award then this is the wrong forum.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I have done 500+ mile day trips on the GSX-R before, and wasn't sore at all after. Proper BP, being relaxed, keeping yourself upright with your core and legs and not your arms, and stretching are all key factors to being comfortable on a sportbike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kind of dumb to be dissing gsxrs..... on a gsxr forum :scratch

By extension, we'd all be better off running out and buying goldwing trikes. Even more comfortable with a stereo and some decent trunk space.
I agree with le skid ....

Buy what you want, enjoy what you got and let other enjoy theirs.
Dissing other bikers will not make you popular, happy or anything else.

Regarding the "supersport is generally a dumb idea" comment - well, you are entitled to have your opinion but we do not need to hear it !

I've done 63000 miles on a gsxr1000 k4 since may 2010.
Long rides on gixx are awesome if you know how to handle your bike.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Just traded in my gixxer 600 for a new GSX-S1000 and wow what a bike.

I no longer get sore after long rides like I did on me gixxer.

I think a supersport is generally a dumb idea unless you only do short rides.

The reason my new bike is better than a gixxer:
-much more comfortable upright riding position
-way torquier, much more usable power for street riding
-more comfy seat
-slightly better fuel economy (yes, despite 400 more cc's)
-not buzzy on the highway, much lower rpm at highway speeds
-has a fuel gauge, and a miles-to-empty estimation number

I think many of you would be better served with a GSXS than a GSXR. In the past, people were forced to choose between an uncomfortable supersport that was fast and had high quality components, or if they wanted something comfortable they had to sacrifice quality/speed and get something with much lower quality components, because manufacturers only put their best quality stuff on the supersports and compromised on their touring bikes. That's no longer the case, with bikes like teh GSX-S1000, Z1000, Ninja 1000, Tuono, S1000R, and some others. My bike has the same Brembo brakes as a GSXR, equally good fully adjustable suspension, Suzuki did not compromise on anything.
This is a post you made awhile back: The gixxer is still the most comfortable super sport to ride so it has that going for it.

GSXR's are race replica's. They were designed to be from their inception. Comfort is secondary,handling comes first. So no surprise there. Supersport's are designed to go fast around corners,not for cruising around at a 4/10's pace.

-I also have a Busa,which I take on longer ride's if I don't want to be sore the next day.
-Of course your new bike has more torque and more usable power: it's a 1000. A GSXR-1000 would also have a lot more torque and usable power then a buzzy 600;that's why seasoned riders prefer a 1000 to a 600 for street riding:thumbup
-As you said,the 1K is less buzzy on the highway and has lower rpm at highway speeds because 1000>600 for street riding.

Yamaha's FZ-1 provided all the criteria you just mentioned,starting back in 2001. Suzuki had the Bandit 1200. Kawasaki had the Z1000. Other manufacturers also offered similar models as well. This is nothing new,savvy riders have had options for quite some time;)

Congrats on your new ride,but no need to slam or shame GSXR's/riders because you found a better bike,suited for your specific needs. Hopefully with this one,you'll know what gear to be in when you take those pesky 90degree corners:biggrin

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I just completed 5,900 miles trip through Europe on my GSXR 1000 K6 over 13 days. I loved every second of it. She is not built for certain type of terrains regardless we got caught out on 50 miles proper off roading in Romania......And boy she did perform superbly. Her rear was kicking up all over the place but hey......it was fun and controllable.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,383 Posts
^^^ that pic just made me nearly pass out !!!!

Op congrats on new bike , as already said you will find all bikes compromise in some way ... It's up too you to find the one that best suits your needs.

I have a collection of all sorts of bikes , I must admit I prefer supersport style bikes purely for the feel and performance ... Though other styles of bikes are still heaps of fun but just a different 'flavor'

1 - 20 of 59 Posts