Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get a clunk when i let out my clutch after i pull it in all the way. so that is every single stop sign and traffic light. this is a fairly sudden development as this didn't happen when i rode out today but as i was rolling back home, i noticed. any ideas on what this could be? thanks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, this is a usual sound when first shifting into first or even down-shifting into first (you shouldn't do it!) gear. If it's getting worse then you will need to consider if the tranny needs to have the syncros rebuilt, or whatever the manual says on how to do it. I just know that it's a listed possibility in there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes... it's that SAME kinda clunk, but when i let out the clutch, no gear shifting involved. i pull in my clutch for whatever reason, then let it back out and "clunk". this wkend i'm tearing the bike down and will let yall know if i spot something, but let me know if yall think of something... cause i'm charting new territory here.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

what the...? it's gone... that was one weird phantom problem. it happened when i got inside my neighboorhood (slower speeds thus quieter) and started hearing the clunk after everytime i released the clutch... so i go for a test ride, and i get nothing... ok, i'll go for a ride and heat things up, then check... nothing. werd... totally.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
How old is your chain? The chain, if kinked, will make a clunk when you let the clutch out...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by 96Gixx7Fitty:
Yeah, this is a usual sound when first shifting into first or even down-shifting into first (you shouldn't do it!) gear. If it's getting worse then you will need to consider if the tranny needs to have the syncros rebuilt, or whatever the manual says on how to do it. I just know that it's a listed possibility in there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok well there is no reason that you should not be able to use 1st gear on a downshift when stopping.. I do it all the time..

Next there is no syncros in the bikes tranny. We have a constant mesh tranny...

I really doubt it is a tranny problem.. Maybe a loose clutch hub nut or a bad chain.

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Would using a different tranny fluid make a difference? In cars the synchros need friction to match the gears and the bearings need lubrication. Are there any internal conflicts on a bike's tranny or is it the slicker the better?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
you want a tranny fluid that is the best on friction but there is stuff in some oils that they say can make the clutch slip... I think it was called moli or something like that...

Remember THERE ARE NO SYNCROS...

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts