Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then you're doing it wrong.

Here in Australia, its mandatory to start off on a 250 for the first year of riding.

So, a friend of mine just bought a CBR250RR (1990 model) and hes learning to ride, so we went out in back streets teaching him to ride.

Another friend who has only been riding 2 months, has a Ninja 250, one of the new ones. Its 2 cylinders.

So, as we're teaching the guy on the CBR how to use the clutch n take off, how to turn and counter steer etc, the guy on the Ninja 250 goes to me "did you see my wheelie?"
Me: "What wheelie, on THAT?!!"
Him: "Yeah, watch"

Bang, pulls a wheelie, gets the front wheel just over 1 ft in the air with the clutch, not far at all, maybe 5 metres or so, but still, LOL.

So don't say you can't wheelie a 4 cylinder 600!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mags, yeah thats fair enough, each to their own. I suppose what i'm trying to say from my experience few nights ago is just "it comes down to balls, not to the bike"..

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Hey Mags, yeah thats fair enough, each to their own. I suppose what i'm trying to say from my experience few nights ago is just "it comes down to balls, not to the bike"..
+1
gotta have some WANT TOO! :lol

·
Banned
171 Posts
+1
gotta have some WANT TOO! :lol
true there does have to be some want to. and i would want to as well but im poor and wouldnt wanna mess up a nice bike trying to wheelie. idk thats just me though. i would to be nervous id mess the bike up

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as you guys may be aware, the Australia dollar is parity with the US, give or take a cent or two right?

Now, over here, i paid 14,000AU for my bike, plus another 1000 or so stamp duty and registration, for a K8 750, in Nov 2008.

Oh, and insurance - add another 1200

So, all up, a LOT of money.

I've been learning wheelies now and the reason i HAVEN'T stacked it, is because i'm not trying to pull a 150+ wheelie in the 2nd day of trying standing on the pegs waving to girls as i overtake.

Baby steps.

The first few times the front came up it scared me. And it only came up maybe less than a foot. After a few weeks i got used ot it, and got higher and higher. now it prob comes up around 2-3 ft, but i can't hold it. which is what i'm still working on. so i think the best approach is babysteps.

There is a guy on youtube who i learnt a lot of my stuff from, Downshift83. I've been watching his vids now for over a year, and watched his progress too. This guy practiced SLOWLY and withing 4 months, went from not being able to wheelie, to being able to do standups.

It comes down to practice and not expecting too much too quick. Crawl before you walk.

·
Registered
282 Posts
true there does have to be some want to. and i would want to as well but im poor and wouldnt wanna mess up a nice bike trying to wheelie. idk thats just me though. i would to be nervous id mess the bike up
+1..I raced MX for years and I can ride a wheelie all day on my YZ...I know could do it on my gixx I just REALLY don't want to fuck it up over a wheelie! :dunno

·
Registered
178 Posts
+1..I raced MX for years and I can ride a wheelie all day on my YZ...I know could do it on my gixx I just REALLY don't want to fuck it up over a wheelie! :dunno
same here.... i would do a wheelie forever on my mx bike... plus if i ever drop it nothing happens to it for the most part... on my gsxr if i drop it its a whole nother story

its funny tho my friend wheelies his cbr like mad but he told me hed b to scared to wheelie my 2 stroke mx bike lol

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
first time i rode a motorcycle on the street it was my ninja 250 (first bike) and when i went to take off from a red light i mustve revved too much and popped the clutch out too fast cause i had the wheel off the ground definitely lol. My legs were all flailing on both sides of me...im sure i looked like a complete Noob. I was hoping noone had thought i did it on accident

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I used to have video of us doing 2nd gear tank spreaders on a buddies ninja250.

Yes, a 600 can wheelie :lmao

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Keep Trolling on! :banghead

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just got my bike a few months ago and am now tryin to wheelie. i've got it up a few different times with and without the clutch. with the clutch is scarier for me because i keep getting inconsistent results :( i know it just takes practice. power wheelie are simple to get up but i still cant hold it there. i think i wanna learn clutching more tho because i dont like having to rev the bike up so high and be goin so fast just to get it to come up with just the throttle

·
Registered
256 Posts
I still remember one of my freinds saying that one night...

"I'd love to wheelie, but sadly I got a stock 600"

So this guy we knew (who's good) asked if he could try his bike out. First try and he was doing balance point with ease and even slowed it down some haha.

·
Registered
383 Posts
They should have that here in the US, first yr or at least first 6mo. a 250. My brothers 250 popped a wheelie at the track, check out youtube quite a few on there. I am with the guys that don't like wheelies though, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
20 Participants
grtfast
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing