Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,114 Posts
Low side in those shoes and jeans with your leg trapped under the bike and tell me how they and your leg do. But what do I know, only been riding for nearly 20 years. Anyway, that's my advice but you don't see too interested in taking it seriously. So I will just say good luck.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't forget to watch out for the gravel.
Already had a few loose rocks and been on King's Road in Steger, Illinois. Tons of potholes with loose rocks and a lot of gravel and debris all over at a certain part. I skidded once briefly going over a pothole but recovery was easy. Not a good road to be on a bike :thumbdown, but good for the experience. :fact

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Low side in those shoes and jeans with your leg trapped under the bike and tell me how they and your leg do. But what do I know, only been riding for nearly 20 years. Anyway, that's my advice but you don't see too interested in taking it seriously. So I will just say good luck.
Do I take you seriously? To an extent. While I hope not to test your theory about my gear, you seem to automatically expect me to fail which I cannot see eye to eye with you on. You also do not take into account I am no young kid looking to push my luck. So far so good, but of course I just started so I am not "in the clear" so to speak. Yet so did you at one point and with all of your experience, I bet you have failed way more times than me. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but just responding to what you wrote. I know leather holds up a bit better, but the armor only goes so far and will not fix a snapped neck or other serious injury. I am willing to bet good textile gear will approach leather effectiveness but burn protection is not as good (if you happen to catch fire thanks to your tank blowing up like the video I saw on Youtube last night).

This bike is not going to have me get on it and take off without me making it! I likely ride this bike slower than some people ride 300's, because I have not pushed my luck or tried to test the limits of acceleration, top speed, 1/4 mile, and etc. I have not drag raced it or taken knee dragging turns. No stunts or jumps, no endos. I am riding it "normal" I opened it up twice in the clear on 394 with no vehicles near me and stopped at 80 MPH. I usually go 5 to 10 over the limit, keeping up with traffic and exactly how I drive my car. I would say I ride it spirited but responsible. I have not pushed my limits, or especially the limits of the bike. My focus is to ride it right, not by the seat of my pants.

For the track days you keep talking about, I highly doubt they are even open in my area yet and I have no interest in doing that right now. In the future, sure. But right now I am doing what I purchased this bike to do, ride and enjoy it.

I do appreciate your insight, but I am not a puppet.

Lastly, you are never in the clear. Even riding for many years, a mistake (does not need to be yours) can cost you a lot. I want to enjoy it, not become a statistic.

·
Super Moderator
15,114 Posts
Do I take you seriously? To an extent. While I hope not to test your theory about my gear, you seem to automatically expect me to fail which I cannot see eye to eye with you on. You also do not take into account I am no young kid looking to push my luck. So far so good, but of course I just started so I am not "in the clear" so to speak. Yet so did you at one point and with all of your experience, I bet you have failed way more times than me. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but just responding to what you wrote. I know leather holds up a bit better, but the armor only goes so far and will not fix a snapped neck or other serious injury. I am willing to bet good textile gear will approach leather effectiveness but burn protection is not as good (if you happen to catch fire thanks to your tank blowing up like the video I saw on Youtube last night).

This bike is not going to have me get on it and take off without me making it! I likely ride this bike slower than some people ride 300's, because I have not pushed my luck or tried to test the limits of acceleration, top speed, 1/4 mile, and etc. I have not drag raced it or taken knee dragging turns. No stunts or jumps, no endos. I am riding it "normal" I opened it up twice in the clear on 394 with no vehicles near me and stopped at 80 MPH. I usually go 5 to 10 over the limit, keeping up with traffic and exactly how I drive my car. I would say I ride it spirited but responsible. I have not pushed my limits, or especially the limits of the bike. My focus is to ride it right, not by the seat of my pants.

For the track days you keep talking about, I highly doubt they are even open in my area yet and I have no interest in doing that right now. In the future, sure. But right now I am doing what I purchased this bike to do, ride and enjoy it.

I do appreciate your insight, but I am not a puppet.

Lastly, you are never in the clear. Even riding for many years, a mistake (does not need to be yours) can cost you a lot. I want to enjoy it, not become a statistic.
You have an answer/excuse for everything. Yes i have failed many times, hence my advice because i have learned from my mistakes and I like to pass what I've learned on to new riders.

Ok I'm done. Take care and again good luck. :cheers

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
You have an answer/excuse for everything. Yes i have failed many times, hence my advice because i have learned from my mistakes and I like to pass what I've learned on to new riders.

Ok I'm done. Take care and again good luck. :cheers
I appreciate your insight (as I stated before), but I already bought this and I am doing fine so far. No I have not had it for long, no I am not a pro yet. But I am learning every time I take it out and will continue to look to improve. Got my license already and taking the MSF course soon. That and I wear gear always, not being a squid. I am confident I am doing what I can to become a good rider and I have had no issues with anything. I think I am taking the right approach, if you disagree (which is your right of course) that's cool. I feel I bought the right beginner bike for me, even if it's a 600 super sport.

Thank you, good luck to you as well and I will keep reporting on my experience.

I have given no excuses, I call them concise answers and I have an answer for everything you said, yes. I have been respectful to you and it is pretty hard to convey emotion on a forum. I thank you for the advice, but as stated I own this now and so far so good. Nothing more or less. I am comfortable and getting better and better, but still being cautious.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Already had a few loose rocks and been on King's Road in Steger, Illinois. Tons of potholes with loose rocks and a lot of gravel and debris all over at a certain part. I skidded once briefly going over a pothole but recovery was easy. Not a good road to be on a bike :thumbdown, but good for the experience. :fact
"gravel" is a classic joke on this forum, when learners crash their bike they blame gravel rather than their own mistakes :grin2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have a really nice bike.

You are certainly doing the right thing getting some motorcycle training and learning to ride carefully.

I'd second the other comments made here, if you are riding with these http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Strength-Bulls-Leather-Shoes/dp/B00GFGRHTA please do get some motorcycle boots instead it might well save you one day.

As an example, once I was riding to the office, there was a car waiting on a side street, I saw him and he saw me, just as I was level with the turning he pulled out and clipped my foot with the bumper of his car. Luckily I didn't fall off and pulled over a few yards up the road. The driver said sorry and thought I'd passed him already, I think I was hidden behind his A pillar and it was a accident and so we parted ways. When I got to work I had a swollen ankle, but luckily I was wearing motorcycle boots which include an armoured ankle section. Without those I would have had a broken ankle and perhaps even fallen off the bike!

The only other piece of advice I can give is to assume all car drivers haven't seen you, never ride along side another car for long and assume you are always in a danger zone when are next to another vehicle....

Best of luck

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
"gravel" is a classic joke on this forum, when learners crash their bike they blame gravel rather than their own mistakes :grin2:
Oh okay (that's funny), well besides an old dude nearly running me down (he actually blew the stop sign while I made a left turn), I tried my luck in the rain today. Weather in the 50's finally, so was nice not freezing to death.

Something odd happened, I had no fuel light on but I nearly ran out of gas. The engine was bogging and not wanting to accelerate (thankfully I happened to be going home and was a block away). I parked it in my garage and did a tank tap, sounded empty. Opened it up and there was so little fuel I could not see any! I had enough in a gas tank to get me to the Shell station and fill up, but wondering why I had no fuel light? I know it works, when I drove it home on my first ride we had to fill up and it was on.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have a really nice bike.

You are certainly doing the right thing getting some motorcycle training and learning to ride carefully.

I'd second the other comments made here, if you are riding with these http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Strength-Bulls-Leather-Shoes/dp/B00GFGRHTA please do get some motorcycle boots instead it might well save you one day.

As an example, once I was riding to the office, there was a car waiting on a side street, I saw him and he saw me, just as I was level with the turning he pulled out and clipped my foot with the bumper of his car. Luckily I didn't fall off and pulled over a few yards up the road. The driver said sorry and thought I'd passed him already, I think I was hidden behind his A pillar and it was a accident and so we parted ways. When I got to work I had a swollen ankle, but luckily I was wearing motorcycle boots which include an armoured ankle section. Without those I would have had a broken ankle and perhaps even fallen off the bike!

The only other piece of advice I can give is to assume all car drivers haven't seen you, never ride along side another car for long and assume you are always in a danger zone when are next to another vehicle....

Best of luck
Good advice and that sounds like something a driver here would do. I had an old man and two girls turn on me while going straight, one used her brake, the other sped up. Thankfully I pay attention or I could have ate my words and had to blame it on gravel :wink2:

I will upgrade my gear soon because between the motorcycle (nearly $4000), gear (already nearly $600 for that alone, my helmet was $230.00), insurance, title transfer/plates ($300.00 plus), and work I had to do to it already, I am kind of tapped now.

I want to get armored pants for summer and will get some good quality race boots per your advice. These are actually not bad but I bet far from the best, they are sturdy and high quality and seem like they would offer okay protection, but doubt a hit from a car like you had! Yikes. The biggest complains are QC issues and quick wear down, but they are not as bad as some reviewers make them out to be. I did not have the money to get better because of the fact in 4 days I was buying a $4000 motorcycle, not to mention the other gear I bought. Better than my Nike's at least. The only other boots I have are my soon to be worn out steel toes at work.

Planning to get my summer gear next month, so will look into better boots as well. I thank you for the advice and will take it, appreciated. Also thank you for the welcome.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Oh okay (that's funny), well besides an old dude nearly running me down (he actually blew the stop sign while I made a left turn), I tried my luck in the rain today. Weather in the 50's finally, so was nice not freezing to death.

Something odd happened, I had no fuel light on but I nearly ran out of gas. The engine was bogging and not wanting to accelerate (thankfully I happened to be going home and was a block away). I parked it in my garage and did a tank tap, sounded empty. Opened it up and there was so little fuel I could not see any! I had enough in a gas tank to get me to the Shell station and fill up, but wondering why I had no fuel light? I know it works, when I drove it home on my first ride we had to fill up and it was on.
I guess if your bike has a fuel light then it's maybe not working, either that or you have another problem like a clogged fuel filter.

I suggest until you get it fixed remember to reset your trip counter when you fill up, then when it gets to be around 120 miles add fuel.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I guess if your bike has a fuel light then it's maybe not working, either that or you have another problem like a clogged fuel filter.

I suggest until you get it fixed remember to reset your trip counter when you fill up, then when it gets to be around 120 miles add fuel.
I am going to have to see when it gets near empty again if it happens again. This is the third tank fill since I owned it, but the first ride home we had to fill it up and the fuel light worked. Odd but now that I filled it, it seems to run better than ever.

Good idea about the trip counter, I am using the first one for maintenance and will use the other for fuel.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am going to have to see when it gets near empty again if it happens again. This is the third tank fill since I owned it, but the first ride home we had to fill it up and the fuel light worked. Odd but now that I filled it, it seems to run better than ever.

Good idea about the trip counter, I am using the first one for maintenance and will use the other for fuel.
Maybe it was just fuel left standing in the bike, over time it degrades.

·
Super Moderator
15,114 Posts
Good advice and that sounds like something a driver here would do. I had an old man and two girls turn on me while going straight, one used her brake, the other sped up. Thankfully I pay attention or I could have ate my words and had to blame it on gravel :wink2:

I will upgrade my gear soon because between the motorcycle (nearly $4000), gear (already nearly $600 for that alone, my helmet was $230.00), insurance, title transfer/plates ($300.00 plus), and work I had to do to it already, I am kind of tapped now.

I want to get armored pants for summer and will get some good quality race boots per your advice. These are actually not bad but I bet far from the best, they are sturdy and high quality and seem like they would offer okay protection, but doubt a hit from a car like you had! Yikes. The biggest complains are QC issues and quick wear down, but they are not as bad as some reviewers make them out to be. I did not have the money to get better because of the fact in 4 days I was buying a $4000 motorcycle, not to mention the other gear I bought. Better than my Nike's at least. The only other boots I have are my soon to be worn out steel toes at work.

Planning to get my summer gear next month, so will look into better boots as well. I thank you for the advice and will take it, appreciated. Also thank you for the welcome.
Wait a minute. I tell you to get race style boots and this was your response." I like my gear a great deal, even my shoes. I do not want boots and these protect my feet fine. They are very sturdy and cover my ankles" I give an example as to why, which happened to me, and it doesn't faze you. Springfall tells you that he had a swollen ankle and suddenly you agree to getting new boots? :dunno :lol

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wait a minute. I tell you to get race style boots and this was your response." I like my gear a great deal, even my shoes. I do not want boots and these protect my feet fine. They are very sturdy and cover my ankles" I give an example as to why, which happened to me, and it doesn't faze you. Springfall tells you that he had a swollen ankle and suddenly you agree to getting new boots? :dunno :lol
Yep, and I will tell you why.

His post was respectful and he actually welcomed me, you should be able to tell the difference between your posts and his. Yours had a condescending and negative tone, his has a positive yet still "get some real boots because your shoes are shit" tone. :laugh: Guess which one I prefer? In fact, nothing it any of your posts were anything about greeting me, welcoming me. It's "you know nothing, your shoes are crap, you are doomed".

That and now multiple people have told me to change my shoes out, I take that as a sign that that is currently the weak link in my gear. With the exception of my helmet (which I consider the most important piece), while I like my gloves and jacket, they are not the best but more than adequate. I would not hesitate to recommend my helmet, jacket (armored in the right places, the Ion version glows at night to help visibility, and kept me warm even in 30 degree weather with higher wind), and gloves are decent but there is way better out there. They work though.

Now about them shoes....they are comfortable and blend in when you are walking around. They are fairly sturdy and cover my ankle. They still were not cheap, I am not using regular shoes at least. Armored for shifting and the laces are held by the velcro so they stay put. While not 5 star, be all end all motorcycle shoes, at least they are decent for now and they have served me well. I cannot really knock them because so far they are holding up and given me no issues.

I needed to come up with money for a motorcycle (did not want to finance my first bike), gear, repairs, and unfortunately I have other bills that needed attention.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
About the bike and my progress:

Doing great so far, getting to the point where I can do everything without thinking about it. It's running great and I am just assuming it was not actually out of gas, but it was at the bottom of the tank where the old gas was that was sitting all winter. I will let it get near empty again and see if the gas light works.

It's getting warmer here, 50's during the day and 40's at night, so that helps but unfortunately raining. I took it out in the rain the other day for the first time, I did good and no issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,114 Posts
Yep, and I will tell you why.

His post was respectful and he actually welcomed me, you should be able to tell the difference between your posts and his. Yours had a condescending and negative tone, his has a positive yet still "get some real boots because your shoes are shit" tone. :laugh: Guess which one I prefer? In fact, nothing it any of your posts were anything about greeting me, welcoming me. It's "you know nothing, your shoes are crap, you are doomed".

That and now multiple people have told me to change my shoes out, I take that as a sign that that is currently the weak link in my gear. With the exception of my helmet (which I consider the most important piece), while I like my gloves and jacket, they are not the best but more than adequate. I would not hesitate to recommend my helmet, jacket (armored in the right places, the Ion version glows at night to help visibility, and kept me warm even in 30 degree weather with higher wind), and gloves are decent but there is way better out there. They work though.

Now about them shoes....they are comfortable and blend in when you are walking around. They are fairly sturdy and cover my ankle. They still were not cheap, I am not using regular shoes at least. Armored for shifting and the laces are held by the velcro so they stay put. While not 5 star, be all end all motorcycle shoes, at least they are decent for now and they have served me well. I cannot really knock them because so far they are holding up and given me no issues.

I needed to come up with money for a motorcycle (did not want to finance my first bike), gear, repairs, and unfortunately I have other bills that needed attention.
:facepalm I was only being honest, not condescending at all. Those sneakers you posted were garbage. I didn't break your balls for buying a 600, I gave you solid advice in an attempt to keep a new rider safe. You give me excuses and answers like you actual know what you're talking about. You don't. I disagreed with you and you say I'm condescending? If that ruffled your sensitive feathers then you're going to have a rough time on this site.

If you didn't post your age, I would have sworn you were a millennial.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Summers coming...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
46 Replies
15 Participants
oldgixxer
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing