Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this shouldn't be that hard but when I hooked up the tubes to the carbs the mercury isn't being sucked up.. HELP!!!

-Spooner

[ 11-06-2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Spooner ]

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy I borrowed it from said I wouldn't need an adapter for this bike. I am really stumped on this, I think the sticks might just be messed up as we also tried it on my bike and it didn't work either. It is rather cold here so I thought that might be the problem with the mercury...

-Spooner

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Busa and Jeff bring up good points.. lol I do hope you have the motor running.. If so check the vents.. Are you sure you have it hooked up correct?

John

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, yeah I had the motor running
I know it has to be something simple. I hadn't had the vent open on the resevoir of the mercury-I tried it quickly this moringing but still nothing. I didn't have really any time to mess with it though. I figured that would be it as that makes sense because of the vaccum, but still nothing. It is in the 30's so could that make the mercury too thick to pull it up the tubes? I am going to mess with it tonight more and I put the carb sticks in the house to get them warm. Hopefully it works out. I am pretty sure it is all hooked up right-they are connected to the brass tubes kinda on the backside of the carbs...

-Spooner

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I have quadruple checked everthing and still nothing. What are the vents that you are talking about though? There is a fill hole in the mercury resevoir that is plugged-is that what you are talking about?

-Spooner

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The vent allows air to go into the mercury reservoir as mecury goes up the sticks. Usually there is a short loop of hose stuck to the vent hole and then to a small plug on the tool. If you don't allow air in, mercury wont go up. Sucking on the carb hoses will tell you if the vent is open. Don't breath too much mercury vapor!!!! Maybe a hand vacuum pump would be safer.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here are the pics...

I did try to suck on each tube and it would pull up mercury-it was pretty tough to do it though.

Please look at this and see if anything looks messed up...

-Spooner

[ 11-06-2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Spooner ]

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
This is a SRAD 600 right ?

I dont think you got the hoses attached to the take-off points on the manifolds.

I wish i can find those pix i posted a month or so ago....

Ummmm, ok, there's a vacuum hose that goes from the adaptor below the 3rd carbie, to your fuel pump. On that horizonal plane, there are 3 blanking screws below the carbies #1,2,4.

Remove the screws, and that's where the adaptors goes [6mm]. When u remove the vacuum hose there's an adaptor there already. Attach the 4 hosex to the 4 adaptors respectively, and start your engine

KaTz

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Katz your my man, I am off to the garage to see whats up... Wish me luck

-SPooner

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I am not seeing exactly what you are talking about. Here is a pic-can you just point

And miss Butterfli600 is very happy that her bike is being a bitch

-Spooner

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Mercury freezes at -40F. It doesn't get much thicker before it freezes. Try to suck a little up the tube with your mouth (carefully!!) to see if the tubes are working.

The tubes your are hooking the sticks to -- make sure that they are the ones that go through to the inside of the throttle bodies right under the throttle plate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You've definately got it on the wrong place.
You will see 3 X star screws below the carb manifolds (one for each carb) on the head itself.
The 4th will have a pipe which leads to your tank this one does not need an adapter.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Yep, what New_racer said.

And what i said b4. Cant go wrong man, trace the vacuum hose form your fuel pump to the (built-in) adaptor on the manifold below the carb #3. Then look L&R, and the blanking screws should be on the same plane.

Cant miss them, they got a crusted look to them, like the allen bolts on your stock headers

KaTz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts