Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my rear sprocket and chain are in desperate need of replacement. The teeth are pretty "pointy". You guys think I'll be safe the 500 miles back home?

The chain also has a tight spot in it.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
If you have the $$ now, i would get it replaced before doing the 500 miles as it would be a bitch if it broke sometime then..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Do you have broken teeth on the rear?

If they are just pointy then you dont have TO much to worry about, but it might not be a bad idea to do it if you can... If you cant, then make sure that you dont hammer it on the way home... save your chain, get a small can of chain lube and every time you stop spray a small amount on just to be safe

Also make sure it is tight (in spec) to help keep it cool.

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having snapped a chain , that I did not think was all that bad ,and creating some serious damage when it pulled into the front sprocket cover , snapping the clucth pin and covers , plus the mounting points on the engine casing.
Now I don't take chances with chains and sprockets , it's just not worth the money you end up spending, even though my dad sorted it out in his machine shop for far less than it would have cost.
If it worries you change them now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, there are no teeth missing, And the sprocket teeth aren't 100% pointed-just getting there. I don't have the $ now but I'm gonna take it easy on the way home I think.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If your rear sprocket doesnt look like a saw blade, and you take it easy, you should be fine... I have pushed chains way farther then most, I just know that you can not push them hard when at the end of there life.

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it's not like a saw blade yet-but getting pointy. I'm just gonna take it easy on my way back home and replace it as soon as I get back.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Sergio:
No it's not like a saw blade yet-but getting pointy. I'm just gonna take it easy on my way back home and replace it as soon as I get back.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you need a hand let me know...

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts