Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the oil-cooled gang.
For those of you who do not know me, hit up Robben. He can fill you in...

Day before yesterday, I picked up a 1986 1100 G for $1500.-
The body is utter shit, cracks, faded, chipped, all three lowers missing.
Ugly as sin, but jeebus does it have the voice of an angel. It is piped, jetted and geared, K&N filter in the stock airbox, cammed and bored. I have never in my life experienced anything that accellerates with such instant brutality. You so much as touch the throttle and it will wheely and simultaniously wheelspin for blocks in just about any gear. Absolute lunacy in any gear. Full Yosh system with a cyclone can (itty bitty thing that is about the size of a can of beer) , FUCK ME is that thing LOUD!
Riding in traffic is an exercise in stupidity, as that thing is either idling or wheelspinning. It is like trying to ride a patriot missle in stop and go traffic.
I put on 250 miles since yesterday morning. And I can't stop grinning or laughing outloud inside my helmet. Quite simply the most fun I have had in years.

I bought it from a local salvage and parts yard with a clean title. The PO put about 20 miles on it before wheeliing it, then panicking and dropping it. I had to replace the throttle controls (housing and cable), the left-most carb was hydraulicing its cylinder (bent float tab-fixed) and the ignition cover had a hole the size of a pack of smokes, so all the oil was gone.
5 hours later (4 1/2 of which was pulling and replacing the carbs with that stock airbox) The thing runs like an animal.

Question though, inside the airbox boots there were 4 C shaped springs that help seat the boots. I was able to reinstall the center 2 no sweat, but the outer 2 were impossible to get in place. I gave up and left them out. How vital are they? The boots seem to seal ok with out them, but I am wondering if WFO throttle produces enough suction to collapse them, or suck unfiltered air?
Anyone ever leave those out, or am I an idiot? (Shutup Robben
)

Sorry, shitty cellphone camera. I promise to get a better one up soon.
The 93 750 waterpumper used to be mine, I just sold it to my best friend.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
You guys are in such trouble now.

I was monkeying around not all that long ago with those rubber boots, getting my carbs out. It wasn't until the last one did I realize there were those clamps inside of them. Had I known it sure would've been a lot easier to deal with.
Must ... check ... service ... manual ... more ... often ... arghh!

I can't for the life of me get them back in where they belong, if from what I feel inside is the proper fitting for them, and the outside ones in those corners impossible. I just put them near the outer edge to hold them from any kind of collapsing and if they start to suck air, then I'll deal with it further.

Congrats on the new (old) slabsider.
Sounds like a regular beastie. These things are much more 'fun' than the new cookie-cutter sportbikes.

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tank is dented to shit. Anyone have a line on a decent tank? Color is irrellevant, as I plan on repainting as soon as I can get the dough for some race bodywork.

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear that I am not the only one that struggled with those. It wasn't till I went to reassemble that I saw one laying in the bottom of the airbox... I was like
is that thing???
I tried to put the outter ones just at the lip, but they kept ending up slightly skewed and protruding into the airflow. I was concerned about excess turbulence in the airflow and reduced airflow and such, as well as the possibility of one getting sucked partway into the throat of the carb and binding up the slide or keeping it from closing. So I left them clean out. Got the center 2 in, but that took like 45 minutes and several new holes in the drywall of my garage...

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I can just imagine the garage walls.
Lotta guys in here seem to run the pod filters, but that opens up a whole new avenue of jetting fun. Probably because they got tired of messing with the airbox... It's not too hard to get them in enough like I did, but it's better to try with a clear mind and on another day, a job all by itself so to speak. I doubt they do much anyways, but having them where I do (they are straight and won't move) means I won't lose them. I can just imagine what Suzuki wants for them, and nobody'd make an aftermarket cheaper set.

Sliced my hand open in a couple spots when I did it. It's healing nicely just now. The final scabbing has fallen off, and the scar tissue adds character, I find.

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will prolly eventually go with pods, and deal with the jetting at that point. Right now it runs so damned well, I am just going to concentrate on cleaning her up and doing all of the maintenance that looks to have been ignored for years... I.E. Lubing things like swingarm bushings, checking and resetting the head races, and on and on. It looks pretty rough, there is about 3 years worth of chain-fling on the shock and the under/back side of that hulking brute of a motor. Brakes could use a little TLC, as could just about every aspect of this poor girl. Well, she is gonna get it now. There go all my free nights in the forseeable future.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Yeah, and what a beautiful thing it is, spending the quality time with the new love of your life. She'll appreciate things like clean grease, new pads, metal polish, hours of devotion, bleeding knuckles ... erm, well you know. If you want to see what's been keeping me going, check the fork seals thread just below. It's kind of an ongoing spring maintenance thread I've been keeping alive since the forks were done. Polishing bits while waiting for parts kinda thread...

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got done reading through all of that...
Yup, stocking up on mothers tonight...

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
For metal polish, try Autosol if you can find it. It's every bit as good as Mother's, but about 2/3rds the price. At least it is out here.

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that little tidbit!

·
Registered
211 Posts
For metal polish, try Autosol if you can find it. It's every bit as good as Mother's, but about 2/3rds the price. At least it is out here.
You want the best metal polish?? Its not Autosol, or Mothers, thats all junk.... the best stuff I have ever found is made by California Customs. This is the best stuff, and the only polish I use on my bike. I used to use it when I was owned my own semi truck to keep my wheels and fuel tanks polished.

they have a lot of other products available too...
http://www.californiacustom.com

-Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts