Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Hope you can help with an issue I'm having with my 1999 SRAD 600.

I bought the bike off of eBay, the guy I got it from never rode it and actually took it has payment for rent off a client of his.

Anyway after some charging issues (New Reg/Rec and new battery) I got the bike running, started first time, runs really well. But noticed the fuel pump not priming, got another pump (SUZUKI GSXR600 GSXR 600 SRAD Fuel Pump 1997-2002 15100-34E00 UC-T02S5 NEW 5060501191787 | eBay)

Put the pump on, can now hear it priming for a few seconds, then shuts off as it should. Started it up, went about 1/2 mile down the road and then the bike kinda starts limping at low revs, does't really want to pick up. Pulled over, died on me, went to start it again and it attempts to crank but not enough. Got the bike home, and it started (Just about) so thought maybe the battery recovered enough to start it, but this wasn't the issues. Tested the charge rate and it's 14.1 @3,000RPM, with lights on and off.

So I thought it was over fueling past the float needles and hydro locking. Replaced all 4 needles and needle seats. Started up straight away, left it idling for a few minutes, sounded ok. Key off/on... same issue. Sounds like the battery has no cranking amps (It does, tested it @ 165CCA).

So my question is, have you guys had an issue like this? The fuel pump really squirts it out, maybe too much and it leaking down into the cylinder. Float needles should stop this but I'm running out of ideas. Plugs aren't getting wet as such, it doesn't puff out black smoke, plugs are a good colour.

I also checked checked the crank vent incase it wasn't vent and giving the same locking symptoms.

Appreciate an input you guys may have!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I forgot to mention, there was actually a new tap included with the fuel pump kit. Wasn't listed in the eBay ad so it was a nice surprise.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
petcock , then float bowl needle seats, then float bowl seating orings

...... if those are all good, you got something hooked up wrong

Keep in mind sometimes the cylinder lands just perfectly retaining the vacuum and essentially making the petcock bypassed. If that happens , yep your at the whims of your float needle / bucket seat, to prevent filling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts