Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders,

My name is Rasmus and im from Denmark.

I have just bought a GSX 1100 F from 1989. I realized the clutch lever was very "light" and the clutch did not disengage when activating the lever. I thought it was just a matter of bleeding the hydraulic clutch system. However i cannot get the clutch working at all.

I have disassembled the clutch release cylinder as this was completely stuck. It is fine now and moves forward and backwards corresponding to the lever. The system is completely bleeded and no bubbles of air should be in the system as i have bleed many times. The clutch is still not disengaging. Im wondering why i cannot push the rod between the clutch release cylinder and the clutch by hand? Im expecting this rod to be movable in/out but it feels very hard?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I think i still have a hydraulic problem as the lever can be pushed up against the handlebar. If the system was working 100% and the rod could not be pushed in I should not be able to push the lever all the way in.

So what do you guys suggest me to do? I have used some dot 4 brake fluid from my garage unsealed and maybe 3 years old. I know this is not recommended but can it cause these problems?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,583 Posts
The wrong or old fluid can cause corrosion issues. Make sure that there's no corrosion at either end that's leading to air leaks. But beyond that, you could have 100% water in the system and it ought to work (don't try it).

P.S. I gather that the only bleeder is at the clutch release cylinder. That sounds like air could get into the system at the M/C and be hard to get out. Keep bleeding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tommorow i will ensure that the clutch master builds up the right pressure and change the fluid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would think that if the clutch lever is still moving all the way to the handlebar, there is still air in the system. Did you remove the mastercylinder form the handlebar to bleed it; the banjo bolt sits higher than the master cylinder and can retain air, even though you think its fully bled, it may not be.

good luck.

·
3,474 Posts
Remove and check the bleed screw on the actuator while you're at it....I've seen them overtightened and damaged making it impossible to bleed even with a vacuum gun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove and check the bleed screw on the actuator while you're at it....I've seen them overtightened and damaged making it impossible to bleed even with a vacuum gun!
The bleeding screw seems to work as i can get fluid out when I push the lever?

Today i have changed the fluid and tried to bleed with the master and the clutch release cylinder "in hand" to get the remaining air out. Still no luck, the lever goes to the handlebar. I have noticed some bubbles coming out between the piston and the cylinder in the clutch release cylinder. I think this part needs to be replaced. 155€ :frown2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes but the seal shows no signs of wear. But the inner cylinder wall has some rust/corrosion I’m not able to remove with sand paper p1000

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While waiting on spare parts I wanted to activate the clutch manually by pushing the clutch release rod in. This is not possible. Is this normal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After replacing the clutch release cylinder and ALOT of bleeding the clutch is now working. I can feel the bike is pulling a little bit when not in neutral and the clutch activated. I expect this is normal and will probably get better when I start riding the bike. Now the engine is drowning after 1-2 minutes running = next task!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Rasbo
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing