Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyabusa Six Piston Calipers on a \'97 GSXR600 . . . Fact or Fiction???

I recently purchased my '97 (‘98 engine) GSXR600 late this summer. I personally know the two guys who owned and raced the bike before me. It came race ready with a number of aftermarket goodies, including, among other things, braided lines and good brake pads. I love the bike on the track; I cannot stop raving about the performance and handling of the 600 (especially on the Loudon, N.H. track). The one thing I notice, however, is that the brakes seem to be a little soft/faded and I find that I cannot brake as late or as hard going into a corner as I would like. To be sure, the 600's brakes are a far cry from my Aprilia RSV’s grabby Brembo brakes.

I mentioned my braking concerns to one of the former owner/racer of the bike and he suggested that I install a pair of six piston calipers, as he had done back when he raced the bike. To that end, he offered me a set of almost new ‘02 Hyabusa six piston calipers. He said that they would bolt straight on with no need to change anything, including the rotors.

This brings me to my questions. First, is this fact or fiction i.e., will a set of ‘02 Hyabusa six piston calipers bolt straight on to my '97 GSXR600? Secondly, if this is not fiction, will this swap help solve my braking issues?

I have read some of the previous points made by “Tim” and “1kdude” regarding the merits of such a swap. The consensus seems to be that the benefit from six piston calipers will be negligible compared to the disadvantage of adding the extra weight and that getting steel braided lines and good pads will be better in the long run. My problem is that I already have steel braided lines and good pads, but still experience fading. Some here have said that the six piston calipers may provide a “little” less fade, but how much or how little is that amount?

I would appreciate any input that the Forum has to offer. TIA

[ 11-13-2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Gecko ]

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re: Hyabusa Six Piston Calipers on a \'97 GSXR600 . . . Fact or Fiction???

yes the busa calibers will bolt right on with any trouble...if you are looking for better braking why not try the wave rotors...they improve braking in the ways that you are looking to improve...give me a call at the shop and i will discuss the wave rotors with you...

dwayne

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts

Ok the 750 uses the same calipers as the busa... I took my 6 pistons off and put on a set of 4 pistons. I did this for a few reasons... One, Less wieght. Two, I could do stoppies with one finger so I didnt NEED the 6 pistons, and 3 it was one more thing to add to my list of mods.. lol

After doing so, I feel LESS brake fade, and much better feel... I like them a lot more. Now this has come up in the past and I think that Jeff said that the amount of area used by the 4 pistons is almost the same as the 6pistons, and you wouldnt really feel much difference. I know that i like the 4 pistons better then the 6 pistons.

Few questions about your setup... What Pads do you have? What fluid do you have in it? Do you still have the thin plate on the back of the calipers that stops them from making noise?

John

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Dwayne~
Thank you for the offer to discuss the Wave rotors. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I have talked with several people who have tried them and those that have said they notice a pulsing through the brake lever at various times, especially under hard braking. They attribute the pulsing to the wave discs’ shape, in that the shape causes a small portion of the brake pads to not contact the brake disc at times. Additionally, as “A_Fire_Inside” points out, the Wave rotors are a bit pricey. Whereas, the set of almost new ‘02 Hyabusa six piston calipers were offered to me for $200.

John~
With regard to your questions about my setup, I am embarrassed to say that I am not sure. Since I have not changed the pads or rotors since I purchased the bike, they are whatever the former owner/racer used to race the bike with. Just knowing his personality, I would be surprised if the pads and fluid were not top shelf . . . he’s kind of anal like that. Since he is a friend of mine and local, I can easily find out the answer to you questions though.

In the meantime, what type of pads and fluid do you think would help solve my braking issues in lieu of swapping to the Busa calipers? As for the perceived weight gain of the six piston calipers, as long as its not more than a pound or so, I think the benefit of being able to brake later into a corner with more confidence may be worth it. I’ll just have to hold off on the four quarter-pounders with cheese until after the race/track day. LoL!!!

I am interested in Jeff’s remark that “the amount of area used by the four pistons is almost the same as the six pistons.” What do you think Jeff meant by “the amount of area used by the . . . pistons”? I’m just wondering whether he meant the amount of area used by the pads on the respective calipers against the rotors or the pistons themselves against the pads? If he means the area used by the pads against the rotors, and that is in fact the case, I can see why there might not be much of difference . . . unless having the extra pistons somehow exerts more pressure consistently against the rotors. Also, what is the difference of having the thin plate on the back of the calipers?

Btw, thanks for the input so far . . . and TIA for any future input.

[ 11-14-2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Gecko ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts

Ok.... For pads.. EBC HH pads... And then use Motul RBF600.... I love that setup... Stock lines are really a hamper to the brakes..

Now for the thin plate on the back.. It is used to keep the pads from squeeling.. But it restricts air flow. Take them off and the brakes run a lot cooler.. And the noise... well I dont notice it over my motor.. lol

Now if I rememer correct Jeff was saying that the piston to pad area is about that same so the ammount of force placed from the pad to rotor is about the same as well..

I would really try the EBC HH pads and Motul fluid and remove the plates.. Then see how you like them.. I bet you will like it..

John

·
Registered
2,856 Posts

Throw some new pads in there and bleed them up and you'll be all set. I've ridden GSXR 750's and 600's at Loudon, and the 600 stopped just as well. Hell I used to race an FZR 400 with two piston calipers up there. Granted I'm not the fasted guy in the world, but I don't think you need the six piston calipers.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

Originally posted by Cycle Concepts:
yes the busa calibers will bolt right on with any trouble...if you are looking for better braking why not try the wave rotors...they improve braking in the ways that you are looking to improve...give me a call at the shop and i will discuss the wave rotors with you...

dwayne
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">wave rotors are exxxxpensiiiiiiiiiiiiive

·
Registered
751 Posts

Wow, a thread with all good advice....gotta be a first.

I would suggest you look at each component of your braking system.

Start with your discs. Take them off and have them bead blasted or sand them lightly with a fine grit paper. Basically clean the heck out of them.

Next look at your pads. Have they glazed over? If they are thick and look like they are in good condition, hit them with the same paper (220) that you may hit the disc with. Check to see that they have never contacted brake fluid. They obsorb fluid and will never be the same.

Next look at your lines and fluid. Do you have air in the system?

I have found that either air in the lines or a film on the disc can cause problems with the "bite" you want.

All else fails try new pads and fluid, most it will cost you is like $70 total.

I really don't think the busa caliper is your answer. I have a 2000 GSXR600 same as you and its twin pistons work just fine. The trend has been for sportbikes to go from 6 to 4 piston brakes on the market.

Lastly, maybe you over looked it, but can you adjust the lever out more? Get a little more leverage??

·
Registered
42 Posts

Whereas, the set of almost new ‘02 Hyabusa six piston calipers were offered to me for $200
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You may be able to find them cheaper than that if you look on Ebay. One other thing to remember is that there are many other bikes that used the same bolt patter on the brakes including the 96-99 GSXR750 (6-pot), 97-00 GSXR600 (4-pot), 97-01 TL1000S (4-pot), 98-02 TL1000R (6-pot), and 99-02 GSXR1300 Haybusa (6-pot, possible the 2003 too, I dont know for suree though. I belive the late 90's ZX-9R's used them too, and probably more, but those Suzuki's I am positive about. So you at least have choices if you ever need to replace them.

I installed 6-pistons from a TLR onto my 1997 TLS along with SS lines and EBC HH pads and when I wnat to stop, I STOP!!!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

In the last four years, I've gone from stock brakes to my current setup in little stages.

Stage 1) - replace the stock lines with stainless ones - nice change to the feel

Stage 2) - swap to EBC green pads - better, and good in the wet too

Stage 3 - New rotors - stock ones, but the old ones where warped

Stage 4 - high perf brake fluid - this reduced the mushy feel when the brakes got real hot

Stage 5 - EBC HH's - Holy shit these things are good......

Personally I would go for HH's S/S lines and new fluid as a start point - you will probably have a new affection for pulling stoppies.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts