Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the airbox on my '89 gixxer(750). A better question to ask is: do I need to take off the airbox to remove my carbs,and if so how? It all seems pretty tight. Will I have to loosen the frame bolts up front,or swing the whole motor down? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those boots can be pushed into the airbox? wow! had no idea. Cool,after that any thing I should know,like little springs and stuff popping out unexpectedly when I remove the carbs? Replace gaskets and what-not? I ordered a carb kit from a race shop,and they were going to install but my bike no longer starts so I am just going to take the carbs to them(she ran real rough and was dropping gas from one of the carbs and now finally she no more go).I'm hoping this will fix it,I bought the bike akmost a year and a half ago and haven't really opened her up yet!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I would love to take the bike to the shop but it won't start. I'm pretty mech. inclined with cars,I just sort of felt intimidated with the bike since I don't know much about it and am afraid of messing with anything for fear of putting it back wrong. I'll take the carbs to the shop when I get them off and take the bike to the shop to do final adjustments. I haven't messed with it because of low funds,but now that I am above water the time is right. Besides,how am I going to learn about this thing without tinkeing with it?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dudes,thanks alot! How hard is it to rebuild the carbs? I just might do it myself. I think the hardest thing for me was to actually get motivated to take the carbs off. I'll see what it looks like inside and decide then. You guys have been great,I always wondered if those pins would slide out. I'm gonna order the parts and do it. keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just be sure to copy down all of your carb settings as a starting point when reassembling them.

Float height
mixture screw
needle height

all very important! Would have heled me out tremendously the first time I tore down my carbs.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
When that little o-ring in the top of the carb goes leap and you don't see it, or you drill out the cover to the mixture adjustment screw too deep and drive the screw into the carb, you might, just might wish you had taken the carbs down to have a shop install your jet kit. Troy341

P.S. One MF'in sentence too bitches!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,492 Posts
341 said:
When that little o-ring in the top of the carb goes leap and you don't see it, or you drill out the cover to the mixture adjustment screw too deep and drive the screw into the carb, you might, just might wish you had taken the carbs down to have a shop install your jet kit. Troy341

P.S. One MF'in sentence too bitches!!!!
Yeah, that's pretty much what I am thinking. This kind of thing isn't for everybody and I'd rather see people riding rather than giving up on projects after getting fed up. I am very well adept when it comes to cars and I'm here to tell you, bikes and cars are different. At least the one's I deal with are. I understand your perdicament. You are probably okay with removing the carbs, but have somebody else do the kit. It's too easy to screw up.

·
Registered
730 Posts
GixxerRacer317 said:
There are two u shaped pins that hold the boots in place (one on each side, roughly 5"x8") once you pull those out and push the boots into the airbox a bit you have room to pull the carbs.....:cheers
hey man thanks fer the tip!:cheers
at first it looks pretty impossible, actually.

+1 to you, gramps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.