Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW-TO...REMOVE THE PAIR...GEN1 SRAD\'S

OKAY, by popular demand, im gonna explain step-by-step the how-to's on removing the pair system on gen1 srad motors....this system appeared statewide on and after 1998 on the 750's and has been on the Ca. models for awhile longer. It doesnt boost performance, but trimming off weight is always a good thing.....

Step ONE is to get the necessary parts for the job.......youll need the intuitive racing® block-off plates, available online, or at your local dealer for about 20-30 dollars (US)
you can order them directly from the following link...
http://inturace.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page4.html (scroll down!!)
you will also need the vacuum caps (get assorted sizes) to plug off the pair cleaner hose outlet at the airbox, and the pair vacuum hose at the throttle bodies.....the sizes are ( i think 3/4" or 5/8" and 1/4", but get the variety pack, for about 4$US)

Step TWO is to make certain you have all of step one done, and are ready to begin.....first things first, remove the left and right side fairings.... put them somewhere you wont step on em either LOL
you'll need to remove the PAIR control valve, which is gonna be done MUCH easier once you unbolt the three 10mm radiator bolts (two at the top -each side- and one in the middle down low) this gives you ample room to do the job...(BEFORE DOING THIS, MAKE SURE TO UNBOLT THE STEERING DAMPER...--2 bolts-- OR YOU COULD DAMAGE THE FINS ON THE RADIATOR)when removing the control valve, (with some aftermarket exhaust systems) youll need to remove the mounting bracket on it to get it to slide thru the side of the headers...(if you cant get the bracket off, just loosen header 3 & 4 --all the way out-- and that gives you enough room to slide out the pair system...id try all other ways first, as its sooo close to coming out...)

Step THREE is to disconnect all the hoses and plumbing aroung the Control valve, and where the airpipes mount to the top of the exhaust headers(see pix) a good idea is to leave the hoses that lead under the tank hanging ....this is the best way to do this as youll be able to see where to cap of what MUCH easier

Step FOUR is to is to install the block-off plates youve already purchased....they go just above the headers, - dont forget to put down the gaskets first!!

Step FIVE is to unbolt the front seat, the front of the tank , and prop it….now you are gonna trace the two last tubes (that you didn’t yank loose right…….) to their termination. The thicker dia. One is the cleaner hose which mounts to the underside of the airbox (right-hand side as you’re sitting on it) this one will take the biggest vac cap (5/8” or ¾” I think…). Then trace the thinner hose to its termination…ontop of the throttle bodies…(this will be capped off with a ¼” vac cap…make sure its tight too…)

Step SIX is to double check any and all other hoses to make sure they have a good connection, and guess what, you’re pairless..

Thanks for reading, I apologize for how this reads, but im pressed for time and wanted to have this ready for the weekend…....Next mod todo is the crankcase breather hose mod…..(this actually boosts throttle response IMO)

lemmee know who wants some more of my how-to’s, and BTW, email me if you have any additional questions….

scott

[ 07-26-2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: eSeMeS750WX ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Re: HOW-TO...REMOVE THE PAIR...GEN1 SRAD\'S

Only two things that I would change... One, you dont really need to have the pipes off to do it... You can unbolt the valve from the mounting bracket and work it out that way.

Two, If you have a 98 or 99 750 you might want to take off the damper that in in front of the radiator before you take the mounting bolts off.. It will dent the front of the fins..

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

good lookin out john....

my situation was such that i couldnt get one of the bracket bolts off, so i had NO choice but to mess with the headers....hopefully no one else will...

and the damper, you're 100% on that....i had already removed mine in exchange for my top mount, so i kinda forgot all about it....

im gonna edit those comments into the post....

thanks

scott

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

you might not want to do the crankcase vacuum for these models as the pair valve is much lower than the crankcase outlet, kinda lending itself to drawing oil into the valve assembly....i opted for the seperate breather element, mounting the end of the breather vent as high as possible on the bike (under the green plug on the driver's side right......witha riot tie holding it...)

but thats a different story...

JP--thanks for the sticky..

scott

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

BTW.....the left over parts spell some interesting things.....here's a "G-rated " example.....

[ 07-26-2002, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: eSeMeS750WX ]

·
Registered
16,168 Posts

Originally posted by eSeMeS750WX:
BTW.....the left over parts spell some interesting things.....here's a "G-rated " example.....

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Proving once again..that Scott has way to much time on his hands...
j/k Scott..

·
Registered
547 Posts

Good to see what this pair valve thing looks like at last.I've said this before ,I believe you can gain a bit of hp by simply plugging the crankcase breather into the pair valve(s).This creates a bit of a vacume in the crankcases which lowers the air density which makes it easier for the crank and pistons to move = more power! Heard talk of 3-4 hp on bussas,don't know what it does on the gixxers......
May be worth a try before you remove the pair valves.....

·
Registered
9,334 Posts

i made a sticky. i'll leave it there for a little while then move it to Tips&Tricks and FAQ
good write up Scott

·
Registered
547 Posts

O.k. what if you ran the hose up over the head then down to the pair,would that work?(For the crancase vacume)that should stop the oil from getting in there.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

okay....u may be right there.......never thought of that.....lemmee know how it works....id be interested myself..

scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts