Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend crashed my bike into a ditch, and i am repainting the fairings wiht a new color scheme. i need to know how to take off the gas tank and plug the fuel lines. i know the tank should be almost empty, and there are a few bolts to take out, but any suggestions on how to take it out and plug the fuel lines. how many total bolts are there?? any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
514 Posts
to get the tank off, you gotta pull the seat off... to pull the seat off, you gotta pull the rear plactic off. To pull the rear plastic off you gotta take the rear seat, or the plastic cover thingy off.

Once you got that, you can remove two screws on the front, and two bolts in the back (they bolt down into the frame er subframe... no need intaking other bolts out, just those two that bolt down...) Then you can lift the tank off. Gas should not come out. when you take the hoses off EXCEPT THE GAS ALREADY IN THE FUEL LINE(the fat one)... WHICH CAN BE MORE THAN YOU EXPECT. So keep the lines high and pointed up and you'll have no problem.

Once completely off you can remove the cap and the fuel pump, but I bet you are thinking of just taping them over right? I guess you might want to take the hindge thingy off which just four more bolts.

The hoses in the back are just overfill er breather hoses. Just make sure that when you put them back (unless you pull them off before pulling the tank out) you route the cable in a way that they don't pinch when the bike is running and the suspention moving.

I hope this helps and haven't missed anything. G'luck.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
you don't need to pull the rear plastics to get the seat off, just pull the corner of the seat up to expose the bolts

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
GASS WILL COME OUT OF YOUR TANK!!!!!!!

If you do what is listed above you will have gass everywere. It says you have a 98 750, this would tell me that it is a FI bike. There are 4 lines on your tank. 1)gass 2)return 3)breather 4)over flow.

Lift the corner of your seat and take out the 6mm alan bolts (on on each rear corner).

Take off the rear tail, there should be 8 screws. 2 from the bottom (above the tail lights), two inside the trunk on the top, they are inside a rubber bumper to hold up the rear seat. Two crome ones on the side and then two small ones at the back of the riders seat.

If you still have the smog on it, this will take a bit longer. If the smog is there, you will have to trace the hose that comes out of the rear, left side tank. This should be routed to the right side of the bike and go into a black can mounted to the subframe under your right leg. The center hose is the one you need to pull off. If you like, you can trace the other two hoses back to the motor and cap them off.

Pull up the over flow (the other hose that comes off the back of your tank

remove the two bolts in the front of the tank and prop up the tank with your tank stand.

remove the fuel line (short line with a black plastic end). to remove it there should be two blue tabs in the fitting, push those in and the line should come off.

Then remove and PLUG the return line. this is the hose with the spring looking rap over it. There is no shut off for this line, and since it comes from the bottom of the tank, ANY gas you have in the tank will come out of it.

Now you can lower the tank and remove the two bolts from the back of it. Lift the tank and your done...

John

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
just because I'm in a pedantic mood: I wouldn't bother taking the tail off, jut gently ease the rubber grommets out, that should clear the rear tank brackets. Just be careful not to force the plastic too much.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by NotoriousREV:
just because I'm in a pedantic mood: I wouldn't bother taking the tail off, jut gently ease the rubber grommets out, that should clear the rear tank brackets. Just be careful not to force the plastic too much.</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea this is fine as long as he doesnt have to get to the charcol (sp) can for the smog they used on the 98-99 750... If he needs to get to that to remove the breather hose, he will HAVE to remove the tail... Of pull the hose from the tank... But you can remove the box and save some wieght...

John

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Aha, damn fuelies with their extra gubbins

If it's for emissions, strip it off and throw it away

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by NotoriousREV:
Aha, damn fuelies with their extra gubbins

If it's for emissions, strip it off and throw it away
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>FYI, it isnt only us Fi guys... My friends 00 600 had it too... HAD being the key word... lol

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
yeah kAtZ... every friggin time... uh. gixxerfrk and I have always disagreed... It might be because I belive the whole world is carberated and gixxerFRK knows it is not.

Fuel Injection is for CARS buddy!!! What's wrong with you people!?!? I'm no longer parking my carberated bike next to any fuel injected bike... they should have separate fuel pump lines and toll booths for carberated bikes and FI bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
somebody plz help!!! My wife's "Certified motorcycle mechanic" cousin just replaced the gasket on my tank plate (99 GSX-R750) So I went to put gas in it and gas poured out the center port in the back...isnt this just the over flow??? what's going on?

·
Registered
343 Posts
when i pulled my tank off i dont remember it leaking gas. maybe i had the lines held over the tank but i cant remember. i know i didnt take the rear fairings off just moved them aside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am having a similar problem. and after reading this thread, i am nowhere closer to solving my problem. . .

for one, i have a 99' GSXR750 SRAD. IT IS CARBURATED, dunno if its cos I'm from South Africa.

Anyways, there are four pipes coming from the tank. 2 pipes are on the daiphragm tap, so one is a fuel line going to the carbs, the other is a vacuum line coming from the carbs which opens the diaphragm to allow fuel to flow.

the remaining two pipes is what i'm having a problem with. these two pips come out of the rear of the tank body just in front of the seat (one on either side of the hinge bracket). i have no idea what these pipes are for or where they are connected to.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
They are vent pipes. The should run down the right hand side of the engine by the frame. There should be a wire holder for the. They don't connect to anything other than the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
GASS WILL COME OUT OF YOUR TANK!!!!!!!
um yea drain it even if you have to mock up a vacuum adapter on your moms vacuum cleaner to open the petcock, get a long 4' piece of fuel line and do it right into a clean container.

you'll be much happier doing it right

when the tank is ready to install, seal the cap and get a liquid rust remover, unless you live in a very dry area the tank will absorb moisture and surface rust will begin on the new metal but thats OK..

tape up the outside of the tank to protect your nice new paint job, paper first then plastic sheeting over that works well.

use the rust remover as recommended, then use plenty of fresh water to remove the liquid rust remover, sounds wrong but its not

immediately after you drain as much water as you can use about a quart of 100% isopropyl alcohol and swish it around inside the tank real good for about 15 minutes, the alcohol will absorb any remaining water and evaporate residue free after you drain it..

the best way to do it right and you'll be glad you didnt make a huge mess and end up with surface rust in your tank

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Twisted you answered an 11 year old post.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Gsxr 600
19 Posts
you don't need to pull the rear plastics to get the seat off, just pull the corner of the seat up to expose the bolts
This is how people get misinformation you should tell those guys don't write anything if you don't know what your talking about, your are right no need to remove plastics for the seat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts