Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's probably been answered many times before, but you do you remove the front sprocket?

I've heard an impact wrench is the only way. The manual says to use a clutch tool to make the sprocket stationary, well I asked at the dealership I work at and they couldn't find the tool.

Any secrets you guys care to share with me? It's supposed to be 80 degrees tomorrow, and I have fresh rennsports I need to break in

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
put the fucker in 1st gear, have someone stand on the rear brake and then hit it with a socket..

·
Registered
352 Posts
get an impact wrench. put socket on end of impact wrench and hit and turn. You might as well buy an impact wrench if youre gonna have a bike b/c you will wind up using it again anyway... Or maybe your autozone may have one you can rent out.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Keep it in neutral (so you don't turn the gearbox and engine), wrap a 2x4 in an old towel and stick it through the rear wheel ao it locks to the swingarm and then use the socket wrench with a 2' (or so) piece of water pipe as an extension - anything is possible if you have enough leverage and you won't have to hammer the shit out of the sprocket axle and gearbox like you would with an impact wrench

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep it in neutral (so you don't turn the gearbox and engine), wrap a 2x4 in an old towel and stick it through the rear wheel ao it locks to the swingarm and then use the socket wrench with a 2' (or so) piece of water pipe as an extension - anything is possible if you have enough leverage and you won't have to hammer the shit out of the sprocket axle and gearbox like you would with an impact wrench
Yup
If the chain is still on of course. Thats how I've done it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If at first you try the above technique and fail, more LEVERAGE.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
If at first you try the above technique and fail, more LEVERAGE.
To paraphrase - with the correct fulcrum and a long enough lever I could move the earth.
Remember that mechanical advantage is your friend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A lot of heat on that sucker will help out, put a torch to it. It will melt off the lock tight thats probably holding it on.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
an impact wrench took it right off. I really need to get me one of those!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I,ve put a K5 750 ingine in my K4 600 frame on my race bike, problem is ihave a 520 pitch chain and rear sprocket and my chain is just poping off the front sprocket when i try to take off the sproket nut :( any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I,ve put a K5 750 ingine in my K4 600 frame on my race bike, problem is ihave a 520 pitch chain and rear sprocket and my chain is just poping off the front sprocket when i try to take off the sproket nut :( any ideas?
tighten the chain up ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts