Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, there 's a slight variance in overall width of an SRAD wheel compared to a new gen front wheel. Do I need to fab a small spacer to go on the front axle or what's the best solution? I race and need to occasionally swap wheels with SRAD and new gen so I'd like to keep the solution simple if possible. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
that would work but you would need the exact spacers on each side along with spacers for the calipers

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Ok, all you need is two 1mm thick spacers with 32mm outer diameter and 25mm inner. Put them on the outside of the bearings on the new Gen wheel ('00-'03) and it will fit right on. You don't need spacers for the calipers, just pry the pads apart a bit before mounting and they'll readjust themselves.

I have a set of '03 wheels on my track bike (for slicks, have rains on the stock rims). What I did was to contact a KTM dealer and order four of these:

Washer 25x32x0.5mm

(two 0.5mm washers in each side). 25x32mm washers are a non-standard size, but they are used in the KTM 85 SX gearbox, so they do exist. Exact fit and you won't have the hassle of manufacturing.

If you haven't found out yet, the rear will bolt right up with the new Gen cush drive and spaces.

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
nice... That's more intricate that what I did. I just got the inner spacer out of the SRAD rim and put it in the new rim (cuz the new rim is 2mm narrower than the SRAD rim)... then reset your brake calipers to take up the 1mm closer rotor on each side (cuz the rotors are 2mm closer together too) and you're ready to roll

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
nice... That's more intricate that what I did. I just got the inner spacer out of the SRAD rim and put it in the new rim (cuz the new rim is 2mm narrower than the SRAD rim)...

As I said I needed the old wheel as well so I'd have to buy the spacer separately, plus two new bearings - at Ron Ayers that would be about 50US$ - plus the work of pulling and mounting the bearings. I got the washers for ~8US$

The KTM dealer did was a bit
about why I needed six (two spares) of those washers, though - as far as I could find out, there's only one of them in that 85 SX gearbox

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, not sure if I have an '04 wheel. Is there any difference between the '04 and the '00-'03?

I measured, made two 2.5 mm spacers and when I put it on, it was 28mm from rim to fork tube on one side and 30mm from rim to fork tube on the opposite. Thinking I need 3.5mm spacers to push it over 1mm and make it 29 and 29mm...help.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Sounds wierd - with '00/'01-'03 front wheels you just need 1mm in each side...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.