Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard different ways on how you should fill oil.
1) Fill to lower mark when engine is cold, top mark is for 'hot' level.
2) Fill to top mark,cold engine

The manual indicates "between low & high before riding..." so that seemes to say "fill to 'F' mark when the bike is cold".

I did that; and then started the bike up, ran it thru the gears, and waited; it was low, so I added more; did the same. Bike never got too warm (90 degrees).

So now I"m not sure; it would seem that I filled it properly; that stopping the bike's engine & waiting would show it return to 'f' -- so should it be full when the engine is stopped after a minute or two; or when it's sat overnight...?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Fill it to the F line when cold, after the motor has been sitting.
If you start the bike and shut it off, wait at least a couple minutes.

John

·
Registered
152 Posts
And what do you use to put it in?
I have a little funnel, but it leans out too far, so the end doesn't stick in the hole.
I also have a nozel that screws on to the jug of oil, but it's hard to judge how much oil is coming out.
Both methods are usually somewhat messy with a little drizzle down the case.

What do all of you use?

·
Registered
590 Posts
And what do you use to put it in?
I have a little funnel, but it leans out too far, so the end doesn't stick in the hole.
I also have a nozel that screws on to the jug of oil, but it's hard to judge how much oil is coming out.
Both methods are usually somewhat messy with a little drizzle down the case.

What do all of you use?
I have a long funnel that I originally bought to pour ATF fluid into an aging camero; about 2' long and fairly skinny at the bottom. Holds over a quart of oil at once. I find I have to hold it, otherwise it wants to tip over and then spill some oil. I still see them at auto parts stores.

Before I dug up this funnel; I was using a smaller funnel with some vinyl tubing stuck to the end.

TIIP: don't forget to pull the funnel out before starting.... (Yea; at least it was plastic, and the bike didn't start, but scared the he11 out of me when the funnel jumped)

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Like above, I use a funnel that is for ATF. Holds a lot of oil at one time, has a small end, and is long enough to clear the frame.

I will many times, use a bungy cord to hold the funnel up to the tank so i dont have to sit and wait for the oil. I dump a Qt at a time and keep working on other stuff (bike or clean up). When I get to the last Qt i just go slower and when removing the funnel I keep a rag around the case, slide it up onto the funnel as I remove it from the case to catch anything that drips.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yes they are.

John

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
sometimes to much thought into something is not a good idea ----KISS--- the golden rule.. keep it simple stupid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts