Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ve never done this any suggestions or any lube specific for the job? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mv

[ 08-13-2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
The way I always did it on my dirt bike was to use a graphite type lube. Basically you took the took of the line after taking it off the clutch or throttle, and then drip the lube on it till it ran out the bottom.

Now, what a lot of people do is use a Motion Pro cable luber (sp?) it clamps around the cable and has two little holes that you can put the straw part of an aeresol can in (like chain lube or something) and they make cable specific lube to use with it.

[ 08-13-2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Ratman69:
The way I always did it on my dirt bike was to use a graphite type lube. Basically you took the took of the line after taking it off the clutch or throttle, and then drip the lube on it till it ran out the bottom.

Now, what a lot of people do is use a Motion Pro cable luber (sp?) it clamps around the cable and has two little holes that you can put the straw part of an aeresol can in (like chain lube or something) and they make cable specific lube to use with it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Ratman...I head to the local parts place and see if they have the motion pro cable luber thingy ma bobby

MV

[ 08-13-2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Ditto, i use the Oneal cable luber. They all look the same to me

There was a post inthe Mods and How to, which showed an alternative to this. The gist of it is that u use a surgical glove and cut a hole at the tip of one finger and slip it over the end of the cable. THen fill the finger with lube, and squeeze

KaTz

[ 08-13-2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
NO, not really

That's because ive always lubed it.

If it hasnt been lubed and left out in the rain all the time
, then the difference is more pronouced, especially if it's a bit laggy [resistence >>> wear & tear >>> premature breakage of cable].

KaTz

[ 08-13-2002, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've left mine out in the rain...and it was stiff as heck. Had a local shop lube it and it was that best thing that's ever happened to the bike..lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have also found that there was a big difference in "smoothness" and feel not only after lubing the cable but actually lubing with graphite grease the actual lever. (Where it mounts to the clutch perch and where brake lever mounts to the master cylinder)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts