Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I must apologize for not photographing the stock metal license plate bracket before I cut it up but if you have an 06(or any recent year, chances are they all have the same simple metal bracket which I used for fab) you know what it looks like.

First things first, why this mod is pretty cool:
A- Costs only $17 total which is for the 3 light LED
B- Mounts to the stock plate bracket holes so there is no drilling new holes*
C- Quick and looks VERY sano
*You do need to drill a hole for the LED wires to come up into the tool-kit area to connect the wires.

Tools needed-
Reciprocating saw to cut stock bracket into pieces for new setup
4" Grinder for shaping metal brackets
Metal file for smoothing after shaping
Spray Paint
Wrenches

I used this LED light-

Available here- LEDs
Its the standard 3pod LED
Also available at most biker stores, even the Harely type stores.

<font color="green"> Step 1-Stock parts Removal</font>
Remove the stock snow shovel(the whole plate/fender drop-down deal) and disassemble it enough to get the metal bracket all by itself. Place the rest of the snow shovel in a box and put away for safe keeping. You can cut the stock light pigtail right before it enters the rubber boot on the light compartment. you will need to pull this pigtail back into the toolkit compartment because it will be wired under the toolkit itself. You CAN do this without removing the rear fender pieces but its difficult because that wiring pigtail is kind of pinched at the spot where it comes through the bottom of the undertail. Removing the fender is pretty easy anyway.

<font color="green"> Step 2-Cutting the bracket into the 3 pieces you will use for the plate mount and LED mount</font>
Cut each end of the bracket off as shown in the photo below, you will also use the center of the bracket for the LED mount as shown below. Shape these three pieces as shown in photo below, check size by fitting to bike's forward most stock plate mounting holes. The plate brackets already have a 90 degree bend in them, later you will bend these to your desired license plate angle so just leave them for now. The LED bracket needs to be bent to a perfect 90 degree angel now to match the plate brackets; it will also be bent to your desired angle towards the end of the installation. After all bracketry is cut, file all edges nice and smooth so after fitament you can just paint and the go right into final assembly.
(Note that the plate brackets use the two stock mounting holes closest to the front of the bike. The brackets will need to be ground down a touch on the outside so that when bolted on tight they are running straight across from one to the other, without grinding the outer edge back a little they will angle inward toward one another. If you can't picture this, you will see what I mean when you shape the brackets and hold them in place.)

<font color="green"> Step 3- Install plate brackets and mount plate </font>
After the two plate brackets are fabbed and shaped, install them and clamp license plate to them for hole drilling to mount plate. Drill holes and mount plate.

<font color="green"> Step 4- LED mounting and installation</font>
Clamp the LED light to its bracket to mark for hole drilling in bracket to mount LED light. Drill two outer mounting holes and hole for wiring to protrude. You will then drill two more holes in the top of the bracket outer edges for mounting to the undertail and one more hole for the wiring to go up into the undertail to complete wiring connections to stock license light pigtail. This hole where the wiring goes up into the toolkit compartment should be drilled in the very center of the LED bracket. You should also open your vise enough for the outer edges of the bracket to rest on vice jaws and tap the center with a hammer just enough to contour the bracket to the undertails curve from side to side.
Mount the LED to the bracket, pull the wires through the hole but not through the hole in the top of the bracket yet. now you will slip the LED into place and mark the undertail for the three holes you will drill for the wiring and two mounting holes. The two mounting holes should only be drilled with a large enough bit to set registration for self tapping screws which will hold it in place. After all holes are marked and drilled you can pull the wire through the topf of the bracket into the toolkit compartment and mount the LED to the undertail with self tapping screws. I used some longer screws which are just long enough to tap into the actual tool area so they are hitting two layers of material to hold onto.

<font color="green"> Step 5- Customize angles, disassemble, paint, final assembly and wiring.</font>
With everything in place now you will have a look at it and decide what angle you want your plate and the LED at. Pull them all off clamp them in a vice (all in a row and clamp them on they're edge which is mounted to the bike) and using a screw driver under their edge pry up until you get the angle you want, make sure they're all the same. Take your bracketry and paint it(black is my choice for the sake of sano-ness) Reassemble everything and do all final wiring.

<font color="green"> Step 6- Show all your friedns what a badass plate setup you have and tell them you fabbed it all yourself for $17!!</font>

Notice how the two outside LEDS cast their light, looks incredible at night while riding or not.

Hope I covered everything.
Good luck and lets see yours!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks great. One question though, do you have inspection stickers in your state? If so,where did you place it? We have a separate sticker(2"x2" approx.)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great. One question though, do you have inspection stickers in your state? If so,where did you place it? We have a separate sticker(2"x2" approx.)
Well, we have the registration sticker but no inspection sticker. So you have both? Thats a tuffy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well I've got everythin stripped down. Now for a trip to Cycle Gear for some lights and some black spray paint. I think I'm gonna try these bolt lights I've seen. And your right fishing the wires out of the fender was a challenge.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And your right fishing the wires out of the fender was a challenge.
Yeah, the thing is the hole where it comes through the undertail originally is directly under the metal tail section frame with about maybe 1/4" to fish the wire through. It took a little elbow grease even with the tail removed. Dont forget to post pics after your done.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Actually, I didn't remove the tail. I just worked it around til I found it and then reached in with a piece of safety wire with a hook on it and worked it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great Post!
Two things:

-Did you use blue LEDs or is that just the picture? I'm in Michigan too and I thought that could be an illegal color. Just wondering

-Did you actually drill 3 holes under the rear cowl? I thought you said just one into the tool kit area but then I think you may have drilled two more to actually mount the LED bracket. Just clarifying. I'm sure going to make use of your work. Thanks!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well the weather sucks around here so if I can't ride I'm gonna tinker. Ditched the passenger pegs and the idiot stickers on my tank and fairing. And got rid of the reflectors and that ugly fender. I found an old steel shelf bracket in the shed and with a 4" grinder and a drill press. Here's what I came up with. Mine cost more than yours because I bought the light bolts. They were about $25.00.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work Blue!

Baba Ganoush- Yes there are actually three holes to mount the LED. They are Blue but they definitely light up the plate enough to make it visible so Im taking my chances cause it looks killer with the 3 LEDs ligthing the plate and the ground in 3 spots behind the bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quick question for you guys who have done the mod. Your connecting the led lead wires right to the wires that powered the oem light fixture right? Just want to ask the obvious, I ordered a 5 led segment off ebay and am waiting for it. It says it runs off 6-18v and already has the resistor built in. Hopefully will have it by the weekend so I have something to tinker with since it still damn cold here.

Under200

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
swizcore
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing