Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*shudder* you may have to have the dealer remove it *shudder*

I believe that the lower bearing is a pressed-on type on the steer tube. I'd hate to be wrong but to remove it I'd use a long punch and a heavy hammer/mallet Work it back & forth alternating blows to the race from front to rear.

Installation of a new lower bearing would involve a pipe of slightly larger diameter than the steer on the triple to use as a "slide hammer". Short, sharp blows to the bearing should seat it on the crown of the triple.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The bearing fell apart and the race is till on the center tube. I have tried heat, lube, beating, and nothing is working. How do you guys get these things off? Its a 93 1100 front end.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Any Machine shop will press it off for you for around 10 bucks. If you have a new bearing with you when you have it done they can press the new one right on for you too.
Bones

·
Registered
434 Posts
Put the triple in a vice bend the seal down a bit and hit the corner of the race with an air chisle and you will find it will slide right off. You will have to do a bit of straightening of the seal after. Also Suzuki does not sell the dust seal seperately it comes with the lower bearing which is probably why the cost of the bearing is way higher from Suzuki, also the bearings are standard parts available at a bearing supply house. When you go to install it pack it with grease first then drop it on and drive home with a piece of tubing slide over stem shaft it will go on by just slide hitting it with the tubing if it has reasonable weight, you do not need a press.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ive done it with a cut-off wheel on a die grinder.
I cut a slit in it lengthwise, and it relaxed the metal on the race to let it slide right off. I never even had to cut through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts