Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to go the extra mile to drain all of the old dirty oil out. First thing drive your bike and get it warmed up.
(Get it warmed up good, if you ride it 10 minutes and the temperature gauge says 170 degrees, it's probably not warmed up, put your hand on the clutch cover it's probably around 100 degrees. Go ride it again, warm it thoroughly.)
Next, there's is oil in the head on top of the buckets and most of it stays there when you drain the oil. My cam chain is on the right (that is were the oil drains from the head) i lean the bike over to the right as far as I can to drain the oil from the head. and let it drain a few minutes. Next, remove drain plug and filter and drain oil as usual. If your drain plug is on one side or the other lean the bike toward the drain plug. Iet it drain a couple of hours. Next, get you a thin rag (I use something like the end of a tshirt sleeve and I make a wick out of it) Next move the drain pan and then put the wick in the drain plug hole and use something to push the wick in 4 or 5 inches and get it to lay in the bottom of the oil pan in the oil.
Let it drain for a couple of days. You will be surprised by how it keeps dripping out. Finish as usual.
( you will need a little extra oil)
Another scooter trash tip!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't and won't do it that way, but I'm glad it works well for you. Hours, days? There's still some residue in there, right?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there is still residue in it, you can't get it all. If you drain yours for 10 to 15 minutes,like most people do, I think I get about a half a quart more of the dirty oil out.
I am retired and have lots of time and my girlfriend's bike to ride, while GSXR is on the lift.
(I am a little excessive maybe a lot)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts