Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Any chance anybody have a write up or YT link for a full disassembly of the calipers?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
never seen either, but I am pretty sure it is detailed in the manual

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Cool, is it pretty straight forward? I do have the manual, and am about to replace all brakes and bleed the Joe way. So is it ok to soak the seals in soapy water?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Soaking seals in soapy water wont hurt a bit.

BTW, I have yet to dissasemble my calipers. AS long as the seals are good, and as long as you have taken good care of your system, it likely is not needed.

I use Simple green to clean the outside of them, but I also advice using clean water to rinse.

For cleaning oily parts (like the inside of the calipers) I would use Dawn dish detergent to clean, then clean water to rinse.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Well, we built my bike about 4 years ago......my front end is from an 04......I removed the front brakes and there is all kinds of brake dust on the pistons. They did slide back in???

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So they have not been cleaned in 4 years on the outside?

Yeah. they deff can use it. Dis-assembly may not be necessary, but likely cant hurt.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Ill be honest, in between that time my mech/buddy cleaned em once.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Cool, is it pretty straight forward? I do have the manual, and am about to replace all brakes and bleed the Joe way. So is it ok to soak the seals in soapy water?
Yeah, it's a straightforward process.....I wrote this up on the WERA forum, I think it pretty much details everything you need to do. If you have any questions just ask.

It definitely doesn't hurt to split the calipers and give everything a good cleaning, especialy if any dirt or crap worked it's way past the dust seals and are wedged between the dust/oil seals and piston.

It was kind of detailed already, but the easiest way I've found to get stubborn (or really any pistons) out of the caliper is like this, the idea is to avoid the compressed air/piston missle approach.

1 - unbolt the calipers and remove the pads.

2 - lay an adjustable wrench in the center channel of each caliper where the rotor is normally sitting

3 - start pumping the lever until all the pistons push themselves out up against the wrench, the wrench is there to keep the faster moving pistons in place until the rest come out.

4 - pull out the wrenches and start pumping again, over a bucket or something until the first 1 or 2 start popping out (and fluid too obviously).

5 - unbolt the calipers from the hoses and split the calipers with the correct size Torx bit, I think the GSXR's use a T-40

6 - by now the pistons should be out far enough to wiggle out with your fingers or if need be cover the end with a rag and carefully wiggle them out with a needle nose plier

7 - now you take all the seals out carefully with a small flat bladed screwdriver. It is recommended to replace all the seals when rebuilding the calipers, but I've reused them on several calipers and had no issues. Just take them out very carefully so you don't gouge them, and wash them with hot soapy water and dry them off (NO brake cleaner or solvents).

8 - give the caliper bores and passages a good cleaning with brake cleaner if you like (assuming you have all the rubber seals out now). and blow everything out with compressed air so it's spotless. If you can't get the pistons completely clean of the caked on crud I've found that Scotchbrite cleans that shit off good without scratching the surface.

9 - finally coat all the seals and pistons in fresh brake fluid as you are putting them back in and reassemble.

I just did this whole process on a set of 04 GSXR-600 calipers that would barely move. After this they were working perfectly again.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just got done rebuilding/cleaning my front calipers... I like to make sure everything is right because my wheel was free spinning for way too long. I initially was just going to take the front rotors off, and de-glaze them.

When I had my left side caliper off with the right side one still on, I hit the brake lever a couple times just to see what the scoop was. The inside pistons of that caliper didn't move at all. So, I took them apart and broke them down.

A really easy way to get the pistons out is to blow about 30psi of compressed air into each housing. They pop right out. I cleaned the pistons real good (scotch brite), and the seals with soapy water. When I went to assemble them I made sure everything was spotless. I lubed everything up with some brake fluid, and pushed them in and out using compressed air to make sure everything was functioning that I could see.

Oh yeah, the right side caliper had some milky looking shit in both of the housings when I cracked them open. I've never seen that before. It didn't smell too good either. I had just flushed the entire brake system front and rear before my first track day a couple weeks ago.

I did note that going out on one session before I entered the track I went to hit my front brakes, and the lever came all the way back to my knuckles. Hmmmm.... Don't know what caused that, but I just adjusted the lever out to where it didn't hit and rode with it.

Now, I'm waiting on an adapter for my power bleeder. I have a might vac too, but its just so damn quick to flush an entire system with one of these units. Should be here wed, so I'll make good use of down time. I'll probably tackle servicing the forks while everything is off.

O, and its a T30 torx bit for breaking the calipers in half. It's a fairly easy task. Just take your time.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Just got done rebuilding/cleaning my front calipers... I like to make sure everything is right because my wheel was free spinning for way too long. I initially was just going to take the front rotors off, and de-glaze them.

When I had my left side caliper off with the right side one still on, I hit the brake lever a couple times just to see what the scoop was. The inside pistons of that caliper didn't move at all. So, I took them apart and broke them down.

A really easy way to get the pistons out is to blow about 30psi of compressed air into each housing. They pop right out. I cleaned the pistons real good (scotch brite), and the seals with soapy water. When I went to assemble them I made sure everything was spotless. I lubed everything up with some brake fluid, and pushed them in and out using compressed air to make sure everything was functioning that I could see.

Oh yeah, the right side caliper had some milky looking shit in both of the housings when I cracked them open. I've never seen that before. It didn't smell too good either. I had just flushed the entire brake system front and rear before my first track day a couple weeks ago.

I did note that going out on one session before I entered the track I went to hit my front brakes, and the lever came all the way back to my knuckles. Hmmmm.... Don't know what caused that, but I just adjusted the lever out to where it didn't hit and rode with it.

Now, I'm waiting on an adapter for my power bleeder. I have a might vac too, but its just so damn quick to flush an entire system with one of these units. Should be here wed, so I'll make good use of down time. I'll probably tackle servicing the forks while everything is off.

O, and its a T30 torx bit for breaking the calipers in half. It's a fairly easy task. Just take your time.

See, its surprising what kind of neglect can accumulate down there. Sometimes a full breakdown and refresh is really worth your while.

·
Les lions Indomptables !
680 Posts
I have sticky piston(s) (i think) on the rear. The rear caliper is just barely rubbing on the rotor, and i noticed the inside caliper piston comes out more than the outside one. Will defintely try some tips from the thread..... which means it gets a free Saturdau bump !

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
For cleaning the pistons I'd recommend solvent cleaners over anything abrasive. Most pistons are anodised or have some sort of anti-friction/wear coatings.

If you are a cheapster or your stuck at a race meeting with no spares you can get more life out of the pad pins by using thread lock and indexing the worn sections away from the pad contact area.

·
Registered
606 Posts
nice write up. I did this on a 02 750 before but to get off the hard to get grime on pistons I used a small brass wire brush. I will do doing this soon on a 07 750.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
nice write up. I did this on a 02 750 before but to get off the hard to get grime on pistons I used a small brass wire brush. I will do doing this soon on a 07 750.
I hesitate to use anything that stiff. Risk of seal damage. A tooth brush seems to work fine for me

·
Registered
606 Posts
I hesitate to use anything that stiff. Risk of seal damage. A tooth brush seems to work fine for me
I did hesitste at first also. I tried a toothbrush first and it was a no go. I did this with the piston out of the caliper. the only other thing I had handy was a brass wire brush that felt soft on my hand where I tried it first. I gave it a try and i had no problems. I would say should not be the first option but it worked for me. But I will be getting some scothbrite for the next pair I do.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
I use the green side. It takes off any caked on crap and it does not scratch the surface at all.

21 - 40 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
37 Participants
hmlugov
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing