Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what a noob question, but this is probably the hardest part. I was riding my friends bike. I stalled 3 times, and the 4th time, i got it but lost balance and almost dropped it. I was wobbling all over in the beginning. Once I got balanced, it was fine.

Why do i wobble all over?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Your not going fast enough....Your scared....Or best of all....You have no Freakin clue of what you are doing. So stop riding your buddies bike before you wreck it, and go to the MSF course!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
its the same concept as balancing a bicycle but its just heavier, you just have to get a feel for it. Maybe you're vertically challenged (short) I don't know, if so it will be a little harder but really not sure I'm 6'1 so I don't have that problem or you're turning the bars when coming to a stop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am 5'8, I use my tippy toes.

Maybe I am doing too slow (afraid). In a manual car, you know how people start learning a manual, they say to keep it at a steady RPM and slowly let go of the clutch. Can I use this method on a bike? If so, what RPM should I be steady at?

I doubt you can aproach riding a bike with this method, but why is it that you lose balance at lower speed?

·
Registered
414 Posts
You really need to take the MSF course. You need to learn where the friction zone is, that is the point where you let the clutch out and you feel the bike starting to move, it's like power walking a bike. Once the bike is moving at a slow speed pick your feet up. But you really need to take that course before you hurt yourself.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
I doubt you can aproach riding a bike with this method, but why is it that you lose balance at lower speed?
When the wheels rotate, they work as gyroscopes, keeping the balance for you. The rotating parts in the engine helps with this as well, although to a much lesser degree. However, they need to get up in speed for it to work so basically (provided you don't have the suspension too far off) the faster you go, the more stable the bike is - and the more input it needs to turn.

How gyroscopes work: link

But - do yourself and your friend the favor of taking the MSF riding course before getting on that bike again. Riding a bike is MUCH more than just sitting on top of it, turning a grip and pulling levers. I can't believe he lets you, is it an old beater bike or what?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Technically you shouldn't even have to use any throttle to let the clutch out in first gear. You should also be able to just idle with the clutch out and your feet on the pegs.

Wait a second what the hell am i talking about. STOP ridding your friends bike, and take the MSF course.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
WOW...........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Technically you shouldn't even have to use any throttle to let the clutch out in first gear. You should also be able to just idle with the clutch out and your feet on the pegs.

Wait a second what the hell am i talking about. STOP ridding your friends bike, and take the MSF course.
Is that true? My bmw is like that for some reason. KINDA..

·
Registered
135 Posts

Is that true? My bmw is like that for some reason. KINDA..
Yes it is possible to let the clutch out really really easy and get the bike going in first gear. I wasn't implying that you should do this by no means. But, moreless and example that you dont need alot of power. I didn't want him to try go out rev the bike to 10,000rpms and try and let out the clutch.

Normal ridding i would say i rev to about 2000. Not sure though i never looked at the tac when i was letting out the clutch in first gear.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
The MSF course teaches you how to ride a motorycyle. Its as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
allright, stop baggin on the dood, people have different ways of learning, I was never taught how to ride a bike, or ever took a MSF, I plan on taking a MSF to hone up my skills and learn the things that i never learned sometime in the future....but u need to read up on things you dont know before you get into them, i read a bunch of posts off this site that got me in the headset i needed to be in to start practicing on my bike..take it out on a closed parking lot, or possibly friends street or apartment complex, and just practice practice!!! if you have the money take the MSF if not just be carefull and keep ur finger on that clutch, itll take a few weeks or a week to get the feel of it...but to be honest, unless u can afford to fix his bike if u end up crashing it..i would stay off it till u got ur own....

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first bike I rode was a ES500 and it was a friends and I did not know anything at all when I sat on it the first time. He was a pretty good teacher and I only had a few bad habbits to break when I took the MSF course. (like you should always use the back break, and a host of good safety info, etc.) But thank my lucky stars, if he had a bigger bike I am sure that I would have sat my dumbarse on that too and tried. ( I really wanted to learn) We all learn somehow and get better. Be positive with guy.

Take the MSF, be careful on your friends ride, stay in parking lots, wear gear, and have fun. That is all my instructors kept saying at my class especially, when some riders were having problems, "Have fun and relax" not that was a stupid
mistake or question.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I havent registed for the msf course. It is full , but I will be on standby on the 12th. I already plan on going to the msf course. Honestly, the only reason Im asking this is because I bought a bike myself. It is a 2004 honda. I didnt want you guys to flame me because i have super sports bike. Yes, I am scared of it but I am willing to learn on it. The only reason i got this is beause I got a very good deal on it.

I rode around the neighborhood once, but after that incident of losing balance, I did not want to try it again until I take the msf course or someone can guide me. Once I got the bike going, everything was fine. Im being very sensitive on the brakes and the throttle because i know they are very sensitive and can throw me off.

I already know the risk of a sport bikes, so i dont need you to remphasize them. Especially when someone says "hope you dont die".

·
Registered
350 Posts
not baggin on you, but take the course. you'll learn on a bike thats more you're caliber. do you have a motorcycle permit?

when i was 19 i messed up and jumped onto my cousins MX not a small either. well i wrecked within 2 minutes, maybe less. because i had no clue of the fundamentals. we're all just lookin out for you.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
You are learning the wrong-ass-way, man. Go take the damn MSF course before you kill yourself.

This shit is getting really pathetic...

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
The only reason i got this is beause I got a very good deal on it...............I already know the risk of a sport bikes, so i dont need you to remphasize them. Especially when someone says "hope you dont die".
A - I hope you can swing good deals on surgery at the hospital, too. By you not admitting the engine displacement I can assume it is a 1000? Wouldn't surprise me.

B - If you already know the dangers of riding a sport bike, why did you get a sport bike for your first bike? Blind confidense..a painful thing to have...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I'm guessing the reason you got a "very good deal on it" is because the noob who owned it before you crashed it?
"Getting a very good deal" has been one of the most popular excuses lately. It however is NOT a good excuse. There will always be another good deal around the corner. And like most noobs who aren't educated enough to know what a good deal is, you probably paid too much, but justify your purchase with the "good deal" excuse.

About a month ago there was a noob here who tried to justify getting an '05 750 as a first bike. Claiming that the deal was too good to pass up at $9100. Not too bad for an OTD price. Come to find out, the dumbass STARTED at $9100, had to add freight, setup, document fee, T, T & L to that yet. WELL OVER $10K FOR A 750.

Bottom line is, noobs need to ask questions FIRST. THEN TAKE THAT ADVICE!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts