Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Take your K3 engine and shoehorn it into a K5 frame. Viola!!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
drop the front 1mm. Put a 4mm clevis spacer in. Runs Race profile tires such as Michelin Pilot Race H2. Put a bigger sprocket on the rear. 3 up. That will shorten the wheelbase a ton.

From there it gets expensive. Ohlins shock, revalving the front etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is a clevis spacer ? Where do you install it? It songs to me your raising back and lowering the front. Please explaind. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Your clevis is part pf the rear shock. It's the top of the shock that mounts to the frame. Stick a spacer in there and jack up the back a touch.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
make sure all of your suspension settings are adjusted for your weight. static sag, compression, and rebound. then start playing around with ride height (lower the front, raise the rear). after that, work on your riding ability.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are you already using up all of your K3's cornering clearance? Are you scraping pegs on a regular basis? Or do you just want to improve your K3 so you don't feel so bad about not ditching it and buying a K5?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
A K3 doesn't scrape pags usually. I scraped and broke off my shifter and the pegs never touch the ground.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ain't gonna happen without spending big bucks on suspension and a further shit load making the bike lighter.

But, a well setup K3 with a competant rider will still beat less experience rider on a K5. I know I did it, week before last. But I can hardly wait to get my K5 on the track!

Mark

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
You need to put a set of 25mm SBK fork cartridges in. I just happen to have a new set that I'll sell at cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right! I'm not using all the clearance on k3. just want to know how is k5 handling is better than k3? when I enter high speed corner on k3 (especially with breaks)it either too nervous or very heavy with different preload fork setting.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Use that money for a race school.
good point.. theres lots of guys out there on the new 05 and guys at the track with 600's will smoke them... when your suspension is setup you will think twice about power vs suspension and experience...

·
Registered
415 Posts
You are right! I'm not using all the clearance on k3. just want to know how is k5 handling is better than k3? when I enter high speed corner on k3 (especially with breaks)it either too nervous or very heavy with different preload fork setting.
You probably need to get your suspension "dialed in". What's that mean? Getting all of the settings configured to best support your weight and riding style.

Unfortunately, like you, I have not the faintest idea how to do this despite having slogged through a couple of magazine articles on it. If someone told me "here's how you set each setting for a 200lb rider" I could probably figure it out, but beyond that, I'm lost... which probably invalidates my next comment.

I honestly doubt that the K5 is a huge leap ahead of the K3/4. It might be a TINY bit faster around a race track with an experienced racer, but as far as the average reasonably well-skilled rider goes, I doubt there'd be any noticeable difference.

So far, I haven't seen a magazine do a reivew of the K5 where it is compared not to the R1, ZX10, and 1000RR, but the K3/4, and one that gives a thorough all-around review of the bike, not just "the new one has xxx more horsepower and weighs xxx less.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Buy and study Keith Codes - Twist of the wrist 1 and 2 - the best money I have ever spent on my bike !!!
Si.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Take your K3 engine and shoehorn it into a K5 frame. Viola!!!
You don't have to shoehorn anything, the block is the same. From what i've read the front forks are basicaly the same, just drop in the right springs for your weight. I'm not sure about the rear, but getting a penske will fix that for 1000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts