Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. '89 1100. I took the forks off the bike. I unscrewed the adjuster caps and took them off. I took out the spring and the adjuster rod from the cartridge. I pulled off the dust wiper and the clip underneath it, and the metal washer.
All I've ever done is dirt bike seals, and at this point I would just slam the two tubes apart and the forks would come apart. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
OK, here's the scoop from the manual. There is a allen-head bolt in the bottom of the fork leg, inside a bore that's usually covered by the axle. You just need an allen-wrench to get to that, and the "special tool" that they mention is to hold the damping-rod assy. (that's what the allen-bolt threads into). I hope this makes sense (and apologies for so many pics, but I didn't know which one was most felpful).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FastCat.
I saw the hex bolt on the underside, and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to loosen that because I knew I would need that tool to hold the cartridge.
Oh well. Maybe I can be real careful and pry the seal out from the top without pulling the forks apart.
Thanks again for all the pics.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are just replacing fork seals you find this handy. Try screwing a small self tapping screw into the seal being very careful not to score the sealing surfaces or the fork shaft. Shouldn't need to split the halves if you aren't going to service the lower damper. Move the screw into differnt positions and try to pull it up equally if you can.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Taking the forks apart-you don't need a special tool, just an allen key. To put it back together, you may need to tap it with a pneumatic impact wrench, gently now. It might go back together with an allen wrench but it might not. After you get the bolt and seal washer out you can slam the forks apart (dust sweeper and circlip out). If you do take them apart that way the book recommends that the teflon sliders be replaced, easy to do. The other way to remove seals is to remove the springs, fill the fork with oil from the other fork, extend the fork, put the cap back on and compress the fork with a hydraulic jack, a handy door frame and a piece of wood. the hydraulic pressure inside the fork will push the seal out, providing you have removed the dust sweeper and the circlip. Does this make any sense? Oh, it does make a mess. Troy 341

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Also, get the correct size seal driver. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT drive the new seal in with a screw driver. You can use a pipe with a big enough I.D. and small enough O.D. and a rubber mallet to gently tap in the seal. The washer and the circlip will tell you how far the seal has to go in. Have fun. Troy 341

1 - 6 of 6 Posts