Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the minimum speed my bike has to be going for my knee to drag?
I got me some track pants with knee pucks and I want to pop my knee drag cherry but I dont want to go too fast or too slow. The faster you go the lower I can lean right? Or can I go slow and drag my knee?
The other day i was on this really twisty road and this bright green zx 636 passed me on a curve almost completely to the ground It pissed me off and I want to be able to do that but my brain thinks I will tip over if i lean too far but I guess everybody else does it.
Does the knee keep the bike from going all the way over like a crutch?

·
Registered
351 Posts
BlackLightning said:
Does anybody know the minimum speed my bike has to be going for my knee to drag?
I got me some track pants with knee pucks and I want to pop my knee drag cherry but I dont want to go too fast or too slow. The faster you go the lower I can lean right? Or can I go slow and drag my knee?
The other day i was on this really twisty road and this bright green zx 636 passed me on a curve almost completely to the ground It pissed me off and I want to be able to do that but my brain thinks I will tip over if i lean too far but I guess everybody else does it.
Minimum and max speed are entirely dependent on your riding skill and the degree of the the turn. Ride within your limits and comfort zone, as you get better so will your turns. It is not worth dropping your bike or hurting yourself or someone else trying to ride outside of your ability.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't concentrate on getting your knee down. Don't think about it and some day it will just happen. For a while I was just like you, I wanted to pop my knee-dragging cherry. One day I just gave up and just started to ride the bike again and that is when it happened. And just for your information I have been riding for about six months, I got my knee down for the first time after about three months and now I can drag a knee anywhere from 25mph to 80+mph.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see a lot of races on tv and guys crashing on turns. In the interviews they always say it was too much brake or the wrong amount of pressure on the handlebars. When you are leaning into a turn is it better to have a light touch on the handle bars or to be pushing on it like cross steering?

·
Registered
209 Posts
BlackLightning said:
As said elsewhere, depends on the tightness of the turn and the wheelbase of the bike - but pretty darned slow. I've folded pegs up at the ERC final "course" several times, and on my bike that translates to knee down if I were hanging off. That was in first gear at around 20mph, riding straight up.

KeS

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I am going into a turn I use verry little if any pressure on the bars. I basically just move to the side of the bike (hang off) and then use my other knee to hold onto the tank. The change in the center of gravity, just by moving your body a little is more than enough to turn the bike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mr. Mike said:
When I am going into a turn I use verry little if any pressure on the bars. I basically just move to the side of the bike (hang off) and then use my other knee to hold onto the tank. The change in the center of gravity, just by moving your body a little is more than enough to turn the bike.

You should try counter-steering as you move your body. The bike will change direction a lot faster. I've heard this referred to as "snapping" the bike into the corner. However, before you start to turn into the corner, you should already have you butt of the seat to make turn in easier/less work/body movement. This enables you to be going in a straight line longer since your turn in is faster (able to go deeper into the corner).
I used to ride with very little steering input until I began to use it a lot. It really makes things easier because you don't have to use your body weight as much. If you watch the front tire on some races you can see how much the riders are counter steering, pretty cool.

To answer your question Mr. Mike, having a knee down is usually done for two reasons.
1) To determine the amount of lean angle you have
2) To "pop" the front back up if it washes out

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is alot of good info here so read it carefully. I was the same way wasnt trying to do just learned that I had to have faith in my tires so once I got over that hump it happened I wasnt even expecting it but it happened. Once I did my left side the right soon followed as to I then new what I needed to do. As far as speed it takes very little due to the gyro effect of a bike wanting to stand up when it is in motion

·
fucked with Dark Dilly and lost
550 Posts
skeelo said:
I watch a bunch of guys doing circles and dragging knees at a parking lot. They couldn't have been going faster than 30m/h. They were very smooth nad controlled, made it look very easy.

where in GODS name do u live where guys do circles in parkin lots to drag knee??

that just sounds hilarious....:wacko

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
How about this advice. Take a track day class. One it will teach you the fundementals of using the CG (center of Gravity) to change direction. Next you'll learn steering input technics and so on. I you can't do the trackday maybe an experienced local racer can help you in a clean parking lot. However this is not a substitute for the track training. On a side note you may notice that you lean the bike less when you hang off and stay low. This means you'll have much more tire left before you run off the edge. That guy on the 636 may have looked cool but I bet his form was crap. Less lean = more throttle and braking ability.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Dragging knee is a thrill at first and I totally understand wanting to. On the track it's not a big deal anymore. On the street it's tempting but you have to be breaking some laws to do it (it happens).

First time I dragged knee was practicing in a big empty parking lot. Nothing at all wrong with that just watch out for oil. It's harder to do at low speeds because a slow bike is much harder to control in my experience. My next trackday after those hours of practice I was much faster than before and more at ease with the bike laid over.

Supermoto guys practice in parking lots. It's safe and cheap. When it comes to body position I learned by watching lots of onboard footage. Finally a race school or trackday with instruction is priceless. I just did Team Hammer at Daytona and learned a lot more. It helps to have some fast friends too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can drag my knee at 20mph. Although, realize that dragging a knee at a slow speed is somewhat pointless. The more upright you can keep the bike, the faster you'll go. The idea is to minimize lean angle. If you're getting a knee off at 20mph, you're hanging off too much and probably have too much of a lean angle for the turn. As someone mentioned, read Twist of the Wrist II.

·
Registered
235 Posts
take everyones advice here but from the sound of ur post u shouldnt worry about it already...by sayin u saw a ninja pass u draggin knee and it looked really cool makes u sound like u just started riding..take it slow...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
if you want to learn how to drag a knee the right way and not develope any bad habits...like reaching for your knee to hit the ground and throwing your body english way off....do a trackday school and let the instructors teach you the right way with body positioning. It will pay off in the long wrong and you will be very comfortable...even the first time you touch it down.

learn the right way the first time and you will be able to drag knee at 15 or 115...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lucabratzi said:
take everyones advice here but from the sound of ur post u shouldnt worry about it already...by sayin u saw a ninja pass u draggin knee and it looked really cool makes u sound like u just started riding..take it slow...
I did just start riding(this is my first bike only had it 3 months) thats why Im trying to get advice from the experienced riders on this forum. Im gonna pick up "Twist of the wrist 2 asap and How can I find out where the closest track to me is?

·
Registered
481 Posts
+1 kaysix Read Twist of the Wrist 2 Outstanding read!!!

I would say easiest speed to drag is 35-55mph...1st or 2nd gear depending on your gearing.

Also +1 to anyone who said get to a track day. That will really give you the opportunity to learn your bikes capability. At the track, I'm dragging my knees anywhere from 25-85mph, and I am above average (probably novice) at best.

Have fun and ride safe!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.