Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the topic is self explainitory, a couple of folks on the forum were complaining about how they got a lemon. something with the cam tension or other like that. I know that Yamaha and Honda sport alot of reliable engines and stuff Im not too sure about suzuki. I'm open to opinions and what not. I'd like to go into a purchase with both eyes open

·
Registered
781 Posts
Comparing a gixxer with Yamahas and Hondas is not fair. CBRs have problems with camchain tensioner like gixxers and you get a 2nd rate clutch alongwith CCT problems. Yamahas have clutch problems and so do Ducatis. My neighbour's R1 is asking for a new clutch after 17000 miles. If you want general reliability, then look at Hondas, not new CBRs but VFRs and CG, CD ranges. Sports bikes are for fun not for commuting etc. It's on the track that they belong and show their true colours. May one suggest the most reliable bike around: Honda CG 125. The choice is yours, a GSXR750 or CG125. Doubtlessly the most exciting 4 stroke bikes are the GSXR range.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with some aspects to bikes from other manufacturers... but bikes in general will treat you as good as you treat them. Definitely become mechanically inclined with your bike. It will come in handy for anything. Aside from that to answer your question... yeah Gixxers are reliable enough. Just maintain it and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use my GSXR 750 for a primary vehicle, and I keep it maintanenced pretty good. It has been a lot less fussy than my ZX7 was, and is a lot more fun. I also find a lot more cool extras for the GSXR and used parts are more available too( 7th paintjob in 3 years). The Cam Chain Tensioner is only a $60 part and you can do it yourself in an hour with the guide of this site.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I have 39K miles on my bike.. I did rebuild the motor... But the big problem I had was a self made problem.. I took the motor down the first time just because I felt it was time.. the compression was running on the low side. i took the top end off and put in new rings...

Other then that I have not really had to do much with the bike...

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
my ryde traveled from miami (fl) to california 2 times this year and i didnt even get a flat
buy a mechanically sound bike, geat a new chain ,inspect the sprocket,make sure its the right size and stay with a bone stock bike for best results.you can upgrade as much as you want on a solid stock bike.17000 on a 96 gsxr 750 stage 3 yoshimura factory bike off the track not a damm problem yet.

honda
yamhaha
kakazaki

·
Registered
107 Posts
my friend has a ducati and at 6000 miles spent
at least 1400 in the dealer so far for"adjustments" and "necessary service" as billed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts