Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering how often should one be changing the oil and filter when using full-synthetic motor oil? I've seen a lot of threads on here saying to change the oil and filter every 2,000 miles but I figured with full-synthetic you can go longer without changing. So is there a limit amount of mileage that I shouldn't exceed before changing my oil? I was thinking 3,000 miles would be acceptable with full-syn.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering how often should one be changing the oil and filter when using full-synthetic motor oil? I've seen a lot of threads on here saying to change the oil and filter every 2,000 miles but I figured with full-synthetic you can go longer without changing. So is there a limit amount of mileage that I shouldn't exceed before changing my oil? I was thinking 3,000 miles would be acceptable with full-syn.

3000 is perfectly fine.

The reason you can't necessarily apply the same rules to changing oil in a motorcycle as you do in a car is that the engine and tranny all share the same oil in the motorcycle. So there's alot more components to pollute the oil with.

·
Like a Spider Monkey
4,093 Posts
ONe of the benefits of running full synthetic are the properties when it breaks down in your engine. The polymers in the oil coat the engine. Depending on what type of riding your doing I would change it every 2K. If you only do track days/racing... every time you do the track time. I stopped using full synthetic a long time ago tho. Too expensive for what I use it for

·
That's Messed Up
917 Posts
Stupid question from a newb...... will any full synthetic work or does it have to be MOTORCYCLE synthetic? Reason I ask is I'm about to do my first moto oil change ever and I have no phucking clue, lol

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Stupid question from a newb...... will any full synthetic work or does it have to be MOTORCYCLE synthetic? Reason I ask is I'm about to do my first moto oil change ever and I have no phucking clue, lol
It is highly recommended to use MC specific oil as they contain friction modifiers for the wet clutch.:cheers

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
This is still cheaper from Wallyworld, and I've been running it in my track/racebikes for over a year now. Makes the more frequent changes more economical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use to work for a distributor of Rotella oil and I tell you right now that there is nothing wrong with that oil, in fact if you have ever had your oil changed at a shop< its probably the rotella they used. Its a bulk oil. Its good stuff for a cheap oil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
how often do you change your filter? every time or every other?

I have to disagree that having the wet clutch and transmission decrease oil life. Oil does 3 things, lube, absorb moisture, absorb carbon and dust. The lubrication properties of 4 quarts of full synthetic could last 100k. This is why car manuals transmissions are lifetime fluids. Sometimes they are 100k and that is because they don't get hot enough to burn out the moisture. In an engine this is not a problem. However in an engine your sucking in air that is only filtered 95%-99% and burning fuel which creates other particles. This is usually the limiting factor as bikes are usually 15-20 time more polluting (per horse power). If you had an O2 sensor, a good air filter(not free flowing) and drove the bike rather conservatively you could probably get 15k out of your synthetic.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
how often do you change your filter? every time or every other?

I have to disagree that having the wet clutch and transmission decrease oil life. Oil does 3 things, lube, absorb moisture, absorb carbon and dust. The lubrication properties of 4 quarts of full synthetic could last 100k. This is why car manuals transmissions are lifetime fluids. Sometimes they are 100k and that is because they don't get hot enough to burn out the moisture. In an engine this is not a problem. However in an engine your sucking in air that is only filtered 95%-99% and burning fuel which creates other particles. This is usually the limiting factor as bikes are usually 15-20 time more polluting (per horse power). If you had an O2 sensor, a good air filter(not free flowing) and drove the bike rather conservatively you could probably get 15k out of your synthetic.
Are you a medical marijuana card carrying member?!?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
mobile 1 / 15-50 changed every 6000 miles, bike runs juss phine..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts