Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this on every forum related to every bike I've ever owned. I know that, on these locknut and tappet headed bikes, it says to check the clearances every 4k miles. I would imagine that interval is longer on the shim-type heads. Do any of your tappet-style valves actually require adjustment every 4k miles? I guess I should ask...Does anyone ride their bike hard enough that their valves actually need adjustment every 4k. I did mine 2k ago, and they are still clicking away loud as ever. It doesn't sound like the clearances have changed at all. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've asked this on every forum related to every bike I've ever owned. I know that, on these locknut and tappet headed bikes, it says to check the clearances every 4k miles. I would imagine that interval is longer on the shim-type heads. Do any of your tappet-style valves actually require adjustment every 4k miles? I guess I should ask...Does anyone ride their bike hard enough that their valves actually need adjustment every 4k. I did mine 2k ago, and they are still clicking away loud as ever. It doesn't sound like the clearances have changed at all. Any thoughts?
I bought my 87-11 brand new. The first couple of valve settings , I would have to adjust most of the valves. The bike now has 50,000 miles and the valves just don't seem to move much. BTW , all the valve settings in the world won't stop these old engines from making valve train noises.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe. But when I bought the bike, the valves were dead quiet. I opened it up and they were all .001-.002 tight. I set them all within spec, and got the comforting tickety-tick. But good point--even if they were a little out of spec, they would probably still be noisy. Thanks for the reply, Rogerlee.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The book says to inspect the clearances every 7,500 miles. I usually set mine to the "loose" side of the tolerence, and they usually tighten-up a little bit (at least one or two valves will) but I don't think I've ever found a valve that was tighter than the allowed ( In= 0.10-0.15mm/ Ex= 0.18-0.23mm) specs.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Air cooled engines = bigger tolerances, so louder valve trains....but i know what you guys mean. It's a wee bit embarrassing to ride into a carpark idleing away and having ppl look sideways and then ask - is that bike ok ??
Si

1 - 5 of 5 Posts