Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 617 Posts

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*****LEAVE NOW IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED BY GRAPHIC PICS*****

I will start off by saying that I am a worthless squid rookie and I suck at everything in life.
I was about to go for a ride today and my chain was pretty nasty, so I put it up on the stands and got out the wd-40 and a rag. I started the bike, put it in gear and let it idle. I sprayed the chain down really well and I put the rag up to it and it got caught and took my hand with it through the rear sprocket. I had to have everything above my last joint amputated on my index, pointer and my ring finger on my right hand. Thankfully I am left handed. It was a stupid mistake on my part and now I will forever pay the price for it. Say what you will, flame away, I don't care. I have accepted it and I take full responsibility. I made a choice (not knowing any better) and I will live with the consequences for the rest of my life. I thought I would post this so that 1.) no one else ever makes this mistake and 2.) To show that you don't have to be riding for a bike to get you hurt.

·
I Heart Man Sauce
6,488 Posts
Dude, I am really sorry to see that. I'm just sitting here thinking how easily avoidable that would be if you had someone with some experience helping you out.

I don't even know what to say, I'm sorry you had to learn that lesson the real hard way. Most of us have done things far dumber and came out of it intact and wiser. I truly wish you the best, you probably feel pretty low right now.

Read up on Tony Iommi on wiki and it may cheer you up a bit.

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol yea, it was a mistake that's all it was. I build/maintain all my vehicles and I've never had an accident like this. I honestly didn't know any better. I read books on riding skill and technique, practice everything from my emergency braking to body position on turns...but I never read up on how to properly clean a motorcycle chain. It was a poorly judged mistake on my part. I've been riding over 3 years now with only one accident and over 35,000 miles of seat time over 4 bikes...but I still couldn't clean a chain properly. Now I will pay.

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
So uh.... can you still reach the brake lever..? :dunno

Sorry, I had to ask :lol

Sucks man, but I guess it could've been worse.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
You poor bastard.....I was reading this and was thinking HOW..then WHY? but I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. Bugger!!!. I hope you will be ok long term and it does not affect the rest of your life too much.
Sorry mate :(

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the way that you took the time to get a photo after it happened before bandaging/rushing to hospital, thats GDC dedication!

Sorry about your hand, looks damn painful.
lol yea, I was walking around my driveway waiting for the ambulance and I was like..FUCK I need pics lol so I pulled out my phone and snapped the pics. I have a Palm Pre and I am pretty impressed with the photo quality on the comp.

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Student, and I actually am doing the hiring process for a local Police Department. They said I should be okay for my gun training that starts the 31st of this month. I'm left handed luckily. What bothers me is that I should have known better. I am by no means mechanically inept, I'm not sure why I did it.

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
Look at it this way... there are a lot of people out there who have done things a hell of a lot more stupid than this. Live and learn, amigo... sometimes the learning process is a little bit harsh, but I bet you'll never do it again :lol

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
That sucks, hopefully you heal up well and don't have too many problems in your day to day life. Was this the first time you were cleaning your chain, or just your luck in doing it that way finally ran out?

1 - 20 of 617 Posts