Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much to replace \"Fork Seals\"?

I need to replace my Fork Seals. I do not have the neccessary tools to do the job and will have to reluctantly take it to the neasest dealer.

Does anyone have any idea what I can expect to pay to get this done including labor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: How much to replace \"Fork Seals\"?

if u take the forks off yourself and take them just the forks it will be much cheaper.. depending on the shop it could be anywhere from 200-400

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Damn! I didn't expect it to be that much! It there an "easier" way to do this? How hard is it really to do this?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts

all you need is a flat head screw driver. you do not need to tottally rip them apart. unscrew the top nig nut. then unscrew the alen wrench hidden under the bottom leg. pul the dust seal off with a screw driver. then you just look at it basiclly then slide the bottom leg out. might take a little fotce but it will slide out. then reinsall everything, and add fork oil. make sure you put the fork seals on the same way you took them off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The shocks are upside down. '96 model. I read that I would need to put the bike on a lift 'cause the wheel has to come off. Could I take one fork leg apart at a time as you suggested without taking the wheel off and have the bike rest on one leg while I replace the first fork seal?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
694 Posts

no man if you have inverted forks you are going to have to jack up the bike and remove fonrt wheel and Disassemble the forks to replace the seal. now if you had no inverted you would not have to Disassemble the forks but in either case you do have to jack the front of the bike up and remove the front wheel. I would not encourage somebody who has never replace seals on forks, To tackle the inverted the frist time.

·
Registered
192 Posts

also put the seals in the freezer the night b4 u install them.. helps in installation.. some shops will install them if u take them the seals and lparts then all u have to do is put everything back together.. u may also want to replace ur dust seals while ur at it. taking ur forks off is pretty simple.. we can post how to do it if u like.. and make sure u check the manual on how much fork oil to put back in.. and if u have them apart that would be the time to put a new spring and valving in it if u want

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Some pointers would be greatly appreciated!
The forks are upside down (not sure if that adds to the difficulty level). I ordered the seals a few days ago and should reveive it any day now.
1. How do the forks come apart?
2. Do they twist apart?
3. Would I need special tools?
4. What do I need to look out for when taking them apart?
4. Any tips when putting it all back together like how to adjust them etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts

If you have never replaced the seals in a set of forks before i would not reccommend tackling a set of inverted forks right off the bat. Another alternative is to get a set off of ebay
heres a set i was watching but not interested anymore. only 30 mins left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You're the second guy to advise me against attempting this myself unless I had done this before. I think I will take the advice and let the dealer replace the seals. I think I will however at least take them off the bike which will only cost me $80 instead of $200.

Are there any issues in doing this? Would it just be a simple reassembly or are there things I need to look out for when putting the forks back on the bike?

Thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Taking the forks off and putting them back on is easy. just record you ride height in the front before you take your forks off so when you go back on with them you know how high they need to be. also when you tighten the pinch bolts dont tighten the shit out of them tigthen to the correct torque specs. you get them too tight and damage to the forks may occur.

·
Registered
192 Posts

as 955i said about the ride hieght.. measure from the top of the upper triple clamp to the top of the fork.. i dont recall the exact millimeters though for the stock setting

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ok guys, thanks a lot. You have been very helpfull with your comments.

Rgds.

·
Registered
694 Posts

as 955i said about the ride hieght.. measure from the top of the upper triple clamp to the top of the fork.. i dont recall the exact millimeters though for the stock setting
The service manual says 2mm but i usually like to see 9mm or 10mm. depending on what track you at, but if you on the street i guess it dosent really matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts