Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Drop the engine yourself!!! That should save you 15-30%.

Don't fuck up engine mounts!!!

:cheers
if you do, just drill holes in the frame like that retard did..:lmao

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Any tips on how to remove the motor without doing the mounts? What stuffs them up anyway; Do they bind to the motor, and pull out when you try to remove the motor?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I Agree.

Get a couple mates around, buy a case of beer (to drink when the jobs finished though :biggrin), download the service manual and spend a rainy saturday or sunday on it.
Hell yea... I'll do it for a case of beer and a couple people helping... I've done it before for some good grilled hamburgers and beer... Good times..

·
Ask me about Thermodynamics
20,587 Posts
Now, having worked at a dealership for over 5 years, that it not an unrealistic price.

You have to keep stuff in mind, such as they have to give warrenty on their work, they can't scratch any part of the bike while installing it, and to be fair, your bike is old, and unexpected shit always turns up when you are working on older bikes.

With all respect to Joe and the other guys, for Joe it was a race situation, and he didn't have to make sure every little detail was sorted, because it was his own bike and could fix it if a bolt came lose or whatever. And Joe didn't work on it alone like your shop mechanic will.
I have changed a rear wheel in 20 seconds, but that doesn't mean a shop can, since they have to worry about scratched and other stuff like that. And I helped my old boss get his Honda CBR600RR engine out of the frame in 40 mins, but that was honestly a shit job.

They always qoute you higher than what the total is, because it's always better to overshoot the mark and then give the customer some good news by telling them that the bill was less than expected.

Don't always assume that shops are trying to screw you over :thumbup

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
And I helped my old boss get his Honda CBR600RR engine out of the frame in 40 mins, but that was honestly a shit job.
That engine was lighter than stock, though - with assorted parts already in the belly pan :lmao

But you have a good point about older bikes. I've wrenched on bikes that were newer than the OP's where I spent the majority of the time removing old rusty and broken fasteners... :twitch

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Any tips on how to remove the motor without doing the mounts? What stuffs them up anyway; Do they bind to the motor, and pull out when you try to remove the motor?
What do you mean??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bagherra said:
What do you mean??
IndiGIXXER said:
Drop the engine yourself!!! That should save you 15-30%.

Don't fuck up engine mounts!!!
I have no idea on this. I've never done it before :dunno But I'm willing to take it on, seeing how it would save me nearly $1000

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Now, having worked at a dealership for over 5 years, that it not an unrealistic price.

You have to keep stuff in mind, such as they have to give warrenty on their work, they can't scratch any part of the bike while installing it, and to be fair, your bike is old, and unexpected shit always turns up when you are working on older bikes.

With all respect to Joe and the other guys, for Joe it was a race situation, and he didn't have to make sure every little detail was sorted, because it was his own bike and could fix it if a bolt came lose or whatever. And Joe didn't work on it alone like your shop mechanic will.
I have changed a rear wheel in 20 seconds, but that doesn't mean a shop can, since they have to worry about scratched and other stuff like that. And I helped my old boss get his Honda CBR600RR engine out of the frame in 40 mins, but that was honestly a shit job.

They always qoute you higher than what the total is, because it's always better to overshoot the mark and then give the customer some good news by telling them that the bill was less than expected.

Don't always assume that shops are trying to screw you over :thumbup
I didn't quote him at my race situation time either though.

A mechanic familiar with the bike would be able to swap the engine in no more than four hours. Solo. Other than some muscle maybe to help line it up for the first two mounts as it goes back in.

Ps: I was a shop mechanic for years myself.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
I didn't quote him at my race situation time either though.

A mechanic familiar with the bike would be able to swap the engine in no more than four hours. Solo. Other than some muscle maybe to help line it up for the first two mounts as it goes back in.

Ps: I was a shop mechanic for years myself.
Still, that's assuming you don't encounter any rusted, stuck bolts - which is always likely on a bike that's close to two decades old...

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Still, that's assuming you don't encounter any rusted, stuck bolts - which is always likely on a bike that's close to two decades old...
We never prices shit for worst case scenario. We priced at an average. Sure worst case you may lose a little money, but on the flip side you also make a lot on best case. It all came out over the average money wise. You price at the worst case you basically fuck everyone except the guy with the pos bike. Thats not cool.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Where are you in Aus?
If near the GC give me a shout if you need tools etc.
Cheers, Ad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's exactly what I was thinking Moto.. that they quoted me for absolute worst case scenario, and it's not like they're going to bill me hundreds of dollars less, if everything goes smoothly.

I don't presume they're out to rip me off, but I still think that price is a rip off. By the way, would I need an engine hoist?

Thanks for the offer,Ad but I'm in vic. I have the usual tools like sockets, extension bars, spanners, etc... are there any special tools/equipment needed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
One shop quoted me $1000- to remove my existing motor-gearbox, and fit another motor-gearbox. They charge a fair bit per hour but I think this is massively expensive. Their argument is that some of the bolts might be binded (it's a 93' GSX-R 750), and they might run into other issues. I still think it's too much. How long should it take a fully equiped bike shop at most? All I'm paying them for is the labour. Thanks.
One shop quoted me $1000- to remove my existing motor-gearbox, and fit another motor-gearbox. They charge a fair bit per hour but I think this is massively expensive. Their argument is that some of the bolts might be binded (it's a 93' GSX-R 750), and they might run into other issues. I still think it's too much. How long should it take a fully equiped bike shop at most? All I'm paying them for is the labour. Thanks.
Dropping the engine and putting it back in about 500.. taking the cylinder head off splitting the cases and replacing transmission parts like dogs and transmission gears etc takes real precision and knowledge to have done peoperly. Yes I would have to agree that 1000 to change out the gearbox would be 1000 at least.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts