Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One shop quoted me $1000- to remove my existing motor-gearbox, and fit another motor-gearbox. They charge a fair bit per hour but I think this is massively expensive. Their argument is that some of the bolts might be binded (it's a 93' GSX-R 750), and they might run into other issues. I still think it's too much. How long should it take a fully equiped bike shop at most? All I'm paying them for is the labour. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Actual time it will take someone with all necessary tools is about 4 hours. Shops will always double that time, so they will charge around 8-10 hours of labor. There is no way it should even come anywhere near $1k just to take your old motor out, and put in a different one. I would do it for $400

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow that is to high... If you don't already have a set, buy yourself a good quality set of Tools and you do the R&R. But don't pay over $350.00-400.00 to have it done... Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
One shop quoted me $1000- to remove my existing motor-gearbox, and fit another motor-gearbox. They charge a fair bit per hour but I think this is massively expensive. Their argument is that some of the bolts might be binded (it's a 93' GSX-R 750), and they might run into other issues. I still think it's too much. How long should it take a fully equiped bike shop at most? All I'm paying them for is the labour. Thanks.

What is the shops rate per hour?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I can swap am engine out with a friend to help lift and line it up in under 2 hours. Did it at barber this year. Older carb bike would likely be faster.

I would but pay more than 3-4hrs labor

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
That's hilarious.............. Most ligit shops only charge 800-1000 bucks to swap a motor in a vehicle. Which is five or six times more detailed and time consuming than swaping motors in a bike.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
That's hilarious.............. Most ligit shops only charge 800-1000 bucks to swap a motor in a vehicle. Which is five or six times more detailed and time consuming than swaping motors in a bike.
I wouldn't go that far. They are marginally more complicated at best, considering ac, heat etc and emissions. Our bike engines might a well be a honda civic engine lol.

·
Yeah buddy!!
640 Posts
I can swap am engine out with a friend to help lift and line it up in under 2 hours. Did it at barber this year. Older carb bike would likely be faster.

I would but pay more than 3-4hrs labor
I agree with Joe, Myself and a friend have swap motors out in the 3 hour range before!! Should be easier and faster with older motors!!

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
Just remember it's standard for them to add several hours or double the time it takes in case they run into issues. Also, finding the cheapest "mechanic" isn't what I would do. I would do your own work or find a place with a good rep and pay more for them to do. You would be shocked how many ghetto bike mechanics are out there. I would lest most on this forum work on my bike before a random certified mechanic. It's sad, but true...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. They charge 65 an hour and 275 for a service. I was thinking about buying a stand / hoist and doing it myself. Seems like it's going to save me money to do it all myself. Sucks living in a country town, there's two bike shops, and then nothing else for at least 100 k's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I wouldn't go that far. They are marginally more complicated at best, considering ac, heat etc and emissions. Our bike engines might a well be a honda civic engine lol.
he never said "complicated", he said time consuming, and I agree completely. There is just plain more to take apart on a car, and the fact that depending on what kind, it can be very difficult to get to a lot of the stuff. can't really just pop some plastics off.

To the OP, get a second estimate from another reputable shop and see what they say. Or give it a shot yourself, many people here are willing to offer advice on any questions you will have along the way.

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts
Thanks for the replies. They charge 65 an hour and 275 for a service. I was thinking about buying a stand / hoist and doing it myself. Seems like it's going to save me money to do it all myself. Sucks living in a country town, there's two bike shops, and then nothing else for at least 100 k's.
I'd swap the engine by myself... Buying everything you need (including tools, beer for you and your friends) would cost you less than $1k

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
he never said "complicated", he said time consuming, and I agree completely. There is just plain more to take apart on a car, and the fact that depending on what kind, it can be very difficult to get to a lot of the stuff. can't really just pop some plastics off.

To the OP, get a second estimate from another reputable shop and see what they say. Or give it a shot yourself, many people here are willing to offer advice on any questions you will have along the way.

I still disagree. Not "5 or 6 times" any way you slice it. I domt think even double.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I still disagree. Not "5 or 6 times" any way you slice it. I domt think even double.
Obviously this depends heavily on what car you are thinking about. On the easiest of cars, then no, it may not even be double. On the hardest though, I would absolutely say it can take 5 or 6 times. We aren't talking about an old muscle car where you can pull the entire engine and trans through the giant hood opening.

·
Turd Burgler or Twat Waffle...your call.
985 Posts
Drop the engine yourself!!! That should save you 15-30%.

Don't fuck up engine mounts!!!

:cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd swap the engine by myself... Buying everything you need (including tools, beer for you and your friends) would cost you less than $1k

I Agree.

Get a couple mates around, buy a case of beer (to drink when the jobs finished though :biggrin), download the service manual and spend a rainy saturday or sunday on it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts