Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was having this discussion last time I was out on the track with some club racers.

I used to use it quite a bit, but found it was just unsettle the back and I wasn't backing into corners so I stopped using the rear.

I was advised by one of the faster club guys that he only uses it for the fast transitions and tightening an angle half way through, but that's more if you come in to hot.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
As soon as I stopped using the rear brake on the track I became one of the fast guys. On the street I use it way more often because unlike the track it's rare that I'm barreling into a corner so fast that bike physics deem the rear brake virtually useless.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't do track riding, street wise I hardly ever use rear brake but tend to engine break a tad...

A few years ago I read about Polish professional rider never using it - he even replaced the rear brake disc with a teflon one as regulations say You need to have one on the bike but obviously did not intend to use it... :nono

·
Registered
190 Posts
Never. I feel it has the potential to cause a lot more problems. Some use it to tighten their lines mid-corner, but that is a pretty high level technique.
Street riding, I use it a little with a passenger to prevent so much nose dive. In my 20+ years of riding I have never changed rear pads...lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pretty much never unless I happen to run off track and into the dirt. I find that rear brake use is a crutch for a lot of people to use when they have incorrectly set their entry speed (or their perception of entry speed is too high). They give a little tap of the rear brake and feel more comfortable but it can lead to bad habits and can be dangerous if you accidentally use too much.

How can your perception of entry speed change based on your visual skills? Why do riders sometimes feel they need to slow down their entry speed but once in the corner, realize they were totally fine or even too slow?

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,387 Posts
When the red flag is out, when I'm in the hot pit, when the front end starts to go airborne, and when I'm rolling through the cold pits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends, when going off circuit, the rear brake is your friend..
On a fast corner (180kmh plus), it does help to tighten the line or kick the back out if needed to help scrub off speed. On short circuit racing, you cannot be competitive without using rear brake.
And of course, during those fast starts, a little rear brake will help to pull down the front if your right hand is too eager..

·
Here is your "R"
6,924 Posts
The really fast guys do use it, but its very tricky. Like its great when your on a liter bike and the front end wants to raise up after a turn you can help tame it with a little brake while on the throttle. I used to use it a lot in the rain, on rain tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts