Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My first ever race here in the UK on my K5 1000 is in just over a week and I wanted to ask what you guys use for fuel and how much on average you get through per race.

It's a tuned engine in my bike with full system and head work pushing out around 180 RWHP.

I can use 50/50 mix of regular and avgas under race regulations, but wondered if it was worth doing this rather than just buying premium 100 RON Shell V-Power unleaded?

About consumption, I was thinking to half fill the tank per race which is 12 laps at 1.2 miles each.

I'm not the quickest guy doing about 56 second laps on a good day, but would this be too much fuel? I would rather have too much than the opposite obviously :lmao

Thanks for any advice :cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard negative rumors about using avgas, but no info on the specifics/whys, something to do with the characteristics of av fuel vs racing fuel. I try to keep under 1.5-2 gallons on my R1 for an 8 lap race of 2.9 mi/lap. If the fuel light comes during the cool off lap I've done it right. Yet to race the K9 so not sure about fuel requirements. Best I can do, hope it helped, and that you ended up having a good race

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,174 Posts
You should run what it's tuned for.

I fill my tank whenever the gas light comes on, or mid-way through the day. I don't measure it, although maybe I should. I dunno, I did pretty well without measuring...

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Same here, I never really measured. I knew I needed a full tank for a GTU race, and 1.5 gallons for a sprint. I know guys like Jim Cohrs and Mark Miller who would break out the beakers and graduated cylinders to measure out their fuel, but then again, when your fuel is like $50/gallon you don't want to waste any!

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Same here, I never really measured. I knew I needed a full tank for a GTU race, and 1.5 gallons for a sprint. I know guys like Jim Cohrs and Mark Miller who would break out the beakers and graduated cylinders to measure out their fuel, but then again, when your fuel is like $50/gallon you don't want to waste any!
Oh shit, I don't blame them :frantic

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yup, his was so fast we used to call it the R9... His motor alone was upwards of $10k.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yes... They won everything.

Oh, and the motors needed to be refreshed every 1,500 miles, so basically twice per season.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
A Livengood SS motor can go 5,000 miles between refreshes Bob... and will make upwards of 125rwhp.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Unless his prices went up a shitload, it was like $2,500 IIRC...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts