Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year that I am filling the case to the brim. Thought four quarts would be enough. Then went back and bought two more. Still not to the top. Where is all this oil going. The duc gets synthetic. This is getting expensive. Not that I would think to skimp here but every year prior to this I just left the old oil in and changed after the long slumber. Is the fresh oil pre winter to the brim all that important? I'm just suprised the case holds so much. :scratch

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Why are you filling it all the way up? Don't go over the fill line on the sight glass. Some stunters go a quart over cuz of long wheelies and oil starving. It take about 3 1/2 quarts for a normal fill as I recall. I buy 4 quarts and fill it to the sight glass, run it for a bit, shut it off, come back in a few hours and fill it back up to the fill line on the sight glass.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Is that really needed for four months? I'd prob just leave it and change it next season. Not much to rust that bad in four months and your just changing the oil cuz it sat and it'll make ya feel good. Thats what I'd do ... but I'm not you :) I guess get 4 more quarts and party on. If theres any left over, you can use it for the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
or you just drain it all as long as they are going to be stored indoors and make sure when you go to get them ready for riding again that you don't start em til you put oil in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Filling it with oil I guess would keep moisture out of the areas that are submerged. everything below the oil fill. Doesn't do anything for the topend, fuel system, or electrical system. All these areas collect moisture too.
No need to use synthetic, your just going to drain it and refill after your winter storage.
If you really want to take care of your bike during your off time. You need to run your bike at least once a week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright then. I'm just gonna leave it alone. Fresh oil, stabil, stands, battery tender, and we're good to go as I've done every year prior to this.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
What........ NOTHING is too much for your bike, that is going to be FOUR LONG HARD MONTHS...... at $9 or so a quart for synth, it is ONLY like $380ish

·
Premium Member
73,386 Posts
don't forget to pour oil into the spark plug holes to coat the tops of the pistons and the sides of the cylinder walls.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
And fill your tires with oil, as we all know what causes tire degredation in the winter months is Moisture, so you want to prevent moisture on the inside, and then use something to prevent moisture on the outside as well.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Moto_Joe said:
And fill your tires with oil, as we all know what causes tire degredation in the winter months is Moisture, so you want to prevent moisture on the inside, and then use something to prevent moisture on the outside as well.
how many quarts does that take?:scratch

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Hermans said:
how many quarts does that take?:scratch
ANOTHER 42....... :D

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Hermans said:
welp im off to the dealership to buy 82 quarts of oil.:cheers
:lol :punk

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
SVS said:
But don't panic...
:lol :spit

This is getting to be too much :lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.