Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, post up, how many of you have been down on your K5?

What caused it, how many miles were on the bike at the time, how much experience did you have when you went down?

Also, how many of you have been down on a previous bike, but not on your K5?

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
i have been down on my 03, lowsided at 70mph with 1200 miles on the odometer. had been riding for 9 years before that.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
i highsided myself on the k5 about a week ago at triple digit speeds down at VIR

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
At 44 I've been riding bikes since I was 16.

A couple of minor minor lowsides in the early days.

Recently I have been down 2 times.

One 50 mph lowside on the K2 last year on cold and new tires......

Recently a 70mph lowside on the K5. A serious bump in the road set it all off and the bike couldn't recover when hitting a series of more bumps as it landed after the first one.
All in all my mistake again since I knew the bumps and was pushing the limit too much

PS! I have a feeling that the Ohlins suspension and the geometry on the K2 would have coped in that situation

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I guess I should mention, I ride pretty hard and I have never been down on anybike....yet.....knock on wood. I have been really lucky I guess.

·
Registered
919 Posts
i went down on my k5 exactly 2 weeks (and maybe 1000 miles) after i got it. was taking a 10mph (marked) left hand turn i have taken a billion times on my k4 @ 35-40mph (which had 180/55 race tires, not cold stockers like my k5) and simply came in too fast for the lean angle i wanted. I felt the edge of the rear tire (a little wobble from the rear end as i really banked in, hangin far off the bike) and then tried to stay in it - right as i was gettin ready for some throttle, the wobble turned into a slide, and i realized that strange burning sensation in my knee was the asphalt...
i let the bike down as easy as i could, but it decided that instead of landing on the left (low) side, it would slide on the left, then flip over to the right, shattering left right and upper plastics... still havent fixed em...

*tears coming quickly now* why did i even reply to this thread?? *sob*

·
Registered
334 Posts
went down last tuesday. highsided at about 90mph

3200 miles on the bike

first time been riding for about 12 years

The Bike

The Gear (saved my life)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Not on my k5 but my 02 750 I went down three times.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I got 9000KM on the K5 and I havent been down yet. I ride the twisties once in a while ( just came back from doing cabot trail in Nova scotia ).

I have been hit by a hardley on my first bike ( 82 Honda CB900 ) in my first summer of riding 8 years ago.

·
Registered
149 Posts
been riding just over a year. had 04 gixxer 600 last summer (got ~ 8k miles on it) and got a 05 gixxer 1k this summer (got 3k miles on it so far). haven't been down yet, but had 3-4 close calls that should have taken me down but i got lucky. i learned a lot from those close calls and haven't had one yet on my 1k.

i know it'll eventually happen, but im gonna do everything i can to prevent it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got my K4 last year. I was used to the old 600 tires being really skinny and when I bought my K4 1000 I got in a little mud and dropped it. Only scratched the plastic and it cost me about $500 to fix. I was letting a car around me at a boat dock and found out that wide tires and mud do not mix well. Important lesson learned.....avoid slippery surfaces at all cost. Been riding for 12 years and made a newbie mistake. First 1000........not been down before or since....knock on wood.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been riding for 6 years now. Hopefully getting my K5 this week.

I went down on my 01 ZX-9. I lowsided going 55-60mph on a 25mph onramp. Hit some sand on the inside edge of the turn. Also tires were cold. Stupid me. Ironically I was going to the hosptial to get a cat-scan. My leather jacket saved my rt shoulder and arm. My rt knee got a lil rash, nothing major. The bike didn't look bad but was totalled. I bought it back from the ins. and fixed it w/$250 worth of parts and had it painted. That was 2.5 years ago. Just sold it last week to buy the K5.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dropped mine the other day (an hour before leaving for the French and Italian Alps) and snapped the gear leaver off. Managed to get the local dealer to take one off a K5 in the showroom though so problem solved.

Had a couple of near misses in the mountains... getting my knee down at about 40mph on a corner was the worst. Wheel slid about half a foot..., I thought it was going down for sure but then it caught and I sprung back up.

Had two days of rain and the back tire felt awful. Although I was going easy around the bends I was getting lots of little slides. My mate on an R1 didn't have any. Maybe the way I ride?! Made me feel slightly uneasy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Down only once in Dec. of 2004. Cold tires taking a turn to fast in the morning and the tires spun out on a wet painted arrow and was victim to a tank slapper then low sided on the left side. I had to push the bike home from the freeway off ramp. It was only about 2 miles away but damn the bike was heavy. oh yea it was my 03 600. Total cost to fix was about 1200. Repaint fairings, got stickers, and repalce stator cover. Been riding since May of 04

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've been down twice, both in squid youth about 11 years ago. First time on a ninja 250 cruising along with the left forearm resting on the tank and the right hand on the throttle. Hit asphalt dips or rolls or waves whatever you want to call them and the steering began jumping rt/lt and before I could get on it the front end tucked. ~40mph and went down to the left. I actually rode on the right side of the bike for a bit surfer style before falling off. Was wearing squidly gear of tank top, shorts and sandals and a pair of shades. Severe road rash on the right arm, tricep, shoulder and then on across my back and down on the left hip.
2nd was on the 91 FZR 600. Practicing wheelies in a parking lot
There were cut off telephone poles about 3 feet tall with a 1" steel cable roping through them dividing my parking lot with neighboring bowling alley lot. I was doing my wheelies toward the steel rope. I finally got a my first shift into 2nd while balanced. It felt so perfect floating along. I knew the cable was coming but just.... hang.... on ...... a ... little... longer... feels so good...... OK. Tap the rear brake and bring her down and OH SHIT! Locked the front brake up but still hit it at 20mph or so. Cable came up over the front fairing ripping off both mirrors and catching my chin. I backflipped clotheslined myself and nearly lost my right ear....

All that being said, these dunlops on this k5 750 have to be the slickest tires I've ever ridden on! Its no wonder you guys above are sliding about. I knew it wasn't just me. These Dunlops suck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Been down once... (Don't wanna go again)

Was doing a wheelie 2 months after I got my K4 600 (Dec. 2nd in Texas it was really cold that night... about 11:30p), but I had been riding for about an hour striaght before I fell. The front came up after I left a stop light (that didn't scare me), then it kept coming up... I guess the cold got to me, cause I could barely feel my fingers and I think I was only going about 40-50mph. I looked off to my right as she kept rearing up, closed my eyes. I hit the ground, my eyes flash open and all I see is pavement flying past my shield. I had to ride her home that night. Upon further inspection the next day I managed to crack the fairing in 2 places (nothing more than an inch long) and I took off the right turn signal, though it left the stock harness instead of ripping it out too.

It took some skin off my right knee, that's healed now, but the rest of the gear kept me from losing my face. I will always wear it...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts