Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Suzuki GSXR 750
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first track day a few weeks ago. I now realize I am going to be purchasing more tires than normal as we already have two more track days slated for early June.

I'm curious, how many of you change your own tires? I have NO experience doing it, but would love to learn and save myself a good bit of $$$ when it's time to change out the tires.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi lowsparkchris,
I change my own tires. I ride a lot, and have to change 2 or 3 tires a month in the riding season.
The local dealer charged $53.00 with me taking the tire off. I bought a tire charger about 2 years ago, and I think I have saved enough to pay for it I think?
And no one could balance the tire good enough. I have ceramic wheel bearings, (they make the wheel spin very freely)and when I bring it home and check the balance, it was always off.
I balance them by putting the axle in the wheel and put it on the Jack stands. I find the heavy spot, and add wight until it doesn't have a heavy spot. (And with the ceramic bearings, it is very sensitive) then put some balancing beads in it.
The most well balanced tires ever,
45 mph, 75 mph, or 140 mph still smooth!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi lowsparkchris,
I change my own tires. I ride a lot, and have to change 2 or 3 tires a month in the riding season.
2-3 tires per month! Wow!

I take my wheels off and found a shop that does labor for $15 per wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, I go through a lot of tires.
Me and my girlfriend have 2 bikes.
(I do all the driving) I have a 05gsx1000 with 154,000 and hers is a 99cbr900rr it has around 77,000.
It is hard to keep good tires on both!!!
I have 4 rear tires and 2 front tires here now. I always keep extra tires, sometimes a old custom needs one.
Have a good one 🏍🏍🏍

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I go through a lot of tires and I just can’t let people work on my stuff anymore. I bought a No Mar changer. It takes a few changes to get good at it but its still better, less scratching (if you are careful), and it is satisfying. If you are going to struggle on the ground that is going to bend your rotors, break your back, and scratch your rims. Invest in a changer and a balancer.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,536 Posts
Bead breaker made out of 2x4. Three motion pro long tire levers. Handles of Arizona iced tea jugs cut for rim protectors. Bull Snot tire lube, and a Harbor Freight balancing stand. I think I've got $70 total in my setup. But, that doesn't include my air compressor. Realistically, I don't need one because I could take them to the gas station for air to seat the bead. I change my tires and tires for my friends. The only time I pay to have them changed is at the track when I have to buy new tires, which is rare now that I've got my suspension working.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got a No Mar changer also. And the first one l done, took me 2 hours, and wiped my 60 + year old ass bad.
And of course I put the tire on backwards. 😥🤨 I am much better at it now. And the back tires i am wearing out that quickly are shinko 011 verge (a sport touring tire).
I have had a couple customers one on a Busa, and one riding two up ( a lot)on a cbr600, and they both get over 10,000 miles out them. and they ride pretty hard to. If I don't ride too hard, I will get a little over 2,000 miles out of it on my GSXR, and maybe 3,000 on the 900rr.🏍🏍🏍

·
13,536 Posts
Now I call BS. If you had a no-mar, your tire change would have taken you less than 20 minutes. I know because I want one, but can't justify the $700 to buy one. Even if you just buy the bar, tire changes are almost effortless. I had never used a no-mar before and got to try one at a show. I had the tire off and back on in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 1 u did at the show probably had the rim mounted on the machine. Ones you have the rim mounted on the machine, then it doesn't take too long.
The first one I did took the best part of a hour, to mount the rim on the machine. (Not as easy as you think)
I used to get them changed at a friend's shop for 10 bucks, (he had to close 😥) Then it was a no brainer
to get a No Mar changer, when it started costing me, 100 to 150 bucks a month to get my tires changed. And they could not get it balanced good enough.
(Hay 2017Dave, how long did it take you to change your first tire?)

·
13,536 Posts
Nope, mounted it to the blocks, broke the bead, and popped it right off. Then back on and hit it with some air. They ran you through the whole process. But, I am jealous of your setup......

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
My first time took a while. At least an hour. Just due to poor technique. Now I know I can get 3/4 of the job done without even using the mounting bar. I had to make my own center post to work with the front rim (which was a broom stick with a pointy end!) you have to learn how to get the rim clamped properly, how and where to start the mounting bar, how to keep the tire from coming off, where and how to use the lube. My first time was comical. But now it’s really quick and easy and Im not working on the ground. Also i mount my friends tires too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi lowsparkchris,
The local dealer charged $53.00 with me taking the tire off. I bought a tire charger about 2 years ago, and I think I have saved enough to pay for it I think?
And no one could balance the tire good enough. I have ceramic wheel bearings, (they make the wheel spin very freely)and when I bring it home and check the balance, it was always off.
I balance them by putting the axle in the wheel and put it on the Jack stands. I find the heavy spot, and add wight until it doesn't have a heavy spot. (And with the ceramic bearings, it is very sensitive) then put some balancing beads in it.
The most well balanced tires ever,
Why would you put beads in a balanced tire? Beads don't balance a tire/wheel really, they distribute a rotating mass, that smoothes out an unbalanaced wheel. There are people that use no wheel balancers, weights etc. and do well also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nope, mounted it to the blocks, broke the bead, and popped it right off. Then back on and hit it with some air. They ran you through the whole process. But, I am jealous of your setup......
I had trouble with setting the blocks,
and when I got them set, I couldn't get the rim in the blocks, the tire would not stay far enough away from the rim, to put the rim in the blocks.
It did wipe but, no B S.
Thank you for the compliment on my setup 😁

·
Registered
155 Posts
My first time took a while. At least an hour. Just due to poor technique. Now I know I can get 3/4 of the job done without even using the mounting bar. I had to make my own center post to work with the front rim (which was a broom stick with a pointy end!) you have to learn how to get the rim clamped properly, how and where to start the mounting bar, how to keep the tire from coming off, where and how to use the lube. My first time was comical. But now it’s really quick and easy and Im not working on the ground. Also i mount my friends tires too.
Thank you 2017Dave,
Have you checked the PBI sprockets out? (They're the xxxx)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I looked on their website which seems pretty terrible. Do you have a picture of yours? I would only let my chain go for so long anyway but Im open to new things.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Something else I do a little different,
I run a 18. 44. Tooth setup. It is like running one tooth down in the back,
The bigger the sprocket, the longer they last, and it shortens the bike,
The bike turns a little quicker and wheelies a little easier🏍🏍🏍
20200317_195724.jpg

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
It says aluminum! I can’t wrap my head around how it could be harder than steel. I guess there are just different types of aluminum. Why are other manufacturers not using it? I wonder how much it weighs compared to other aluminum and stock sprockets. It certainly looks kinda plain, maybe thats why I never heard of them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts