Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just read a post where a guy who has been riding for a year wanted to jump on a 1k, it made me wonder how long all you guys out there road before jumping a 1k bike????

·
Banned
234 Posts
alot of people like to tell newbies to start on 600cc to 750cc, to 1000cc bikes progressively. to me its bullshit. It's not about the bike but rather the rider. Will you stop a 16 year old from getting a porsche if he can affors it? Nope. It's not really about the power of the bike but rather, how disciplined the rider is. If you have no experience but are willing not to push the bike beyond your skills, then buy the darmn thing.

Am a poor dude so i was not willing to buy a bike i will outgrow in a years time.(depreciation) However, i got on dirt bikes alot because they provide the best experience possible. I also mountain bicycle alot in my teens. i beleive it helped. Am still alive and my first and only bike is a k5. Knowing how much it cost me, beleive me, you will see no burnouts from me.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha ya i feel you, well me personally iam starting on a gs500. atleast for 1 year before i move to any sport bike (600, 750 etc.) but just curious to how long other people waited!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
My first bike was a brand new 1999 kawasaki zx9r. Never even rode a bike untill the day I bought mine. Never wrecked my first 2 years. Then when I got good and started pushing myself in the corners and doing stunts I started wrecking.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why do stunts? i always wonder that. iam 19 i have a 11sec track car, and seriously i love just cruising. to me its like i can go fast at a track anyday, but just being on a bike or a car you love and going slow and enjoying your surroundings its the best feeling ever. once in a while....murging onto a freeway i give it some gas...but thats about it. and i hope to carry that over into riding bikes to.

·
Banned
234 Posts
I think if money comes easily for you, you don't appreciate the luxury of a bike much less a sportsbikes technology. I see people stunting on the streets and i just wanna go and rescue that bike. to me i respect and apreciate bikes so much that not mainting it is the same as not feeding your pet regularly. I almost feel like my bike is my buddy (dog) when we go out riding. reving her up, matching engine speed with tranny and what not. I think you understand.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1st bike was Ninja 250 back in the Oct of '01. Bought it brand new and used it for approx 4 months. Sold it because even though I wore a full face helmet and nobody could see who I was, I definetly felt embarassed about riding it. Lost a chunk a cash in the sale (expensive lesson) but was happy to move on.

Decided to buy an 02 R6 for the sex appeal, and boy there was a ton. Rode a lot on the street and used a lot of self control to keep myself out of trouble. Then I started getting into track riding to cure the need for speed that I had and that was that best thing to do. I was able to ride hard at the track and keep it sane or somewhat on the streets. Fortunately I have only had 2 minor incidents, both being at the track and have been clean on the streets (knock on wood).

Deciding on a liter bike was pretty easy as there is only one choice for a 750. But since most bikes are chosen for looks, the K5 became the obvious choice. Anyhow I don't even ride the the K5, I just stare at it for long periods of time until my wife starts wondering where I am at.

·
loves oldgixxer and Anthony D
12,611 Posts
My first bike was a 96 750...never even sat on a bike before that...I just took it real easy and tought myself how to ride...I respected the bike for what it was and had a couple friends that gave me pointers and rode with me while looking out for me...

...I sold the 750 after a season or so mainly because the bike had so many problems, and then rather than buy another 750, I just stepped up to a 1000, my current bike.

...Once again, took the 1000 real easy, especially coming out of tight turns, making sure not to spin my rear. Got used to the power of the bike after about a season and love every bit of it. I do not regret stepping up to the plate so early.

I have a few friends that got gsxr 1000's as their first bikes and I told them what was needed and I took them out riding, looking out and watching their every move. If I saw something that made me uncomfortable, I pulled them over and schooled them. They all learned to be good riders, and knock on wood, no crashes.

I believe that almost anyone, with half a brain, and enough sense to have respect for the power of the bike, would be able to start off on a 1K...I do not support them, but I think its possible.

The problem is that these days, the bike scene has blown up and there are too many idiots getting the wrong bikes for the wrong reasons. They all make the rest of us look bad and are making the sport look bad in general.

Thats what I think....Johny

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with biglebowski, its all about how disciplined the rider is and the respect that they give these powerful machines. Ive rode bikes before but never personally owned one myself till i was able to purchase my K5. I havent pushed it and done stupid shit with it like most people ive seen who get a bike and are like "hey lets see if i can highchair this bitch." I just enjoy the spirit of riding and being in the wind and crusing, now yes Im not going to lie i have pushed it some and it was hella fun but i didnt go out of my own limits. But i think it has to do alot with the riders natural abilities and if they respect the machine that there riding. So yes i agree that some people should start with smaller bikes and then there are some that will be fine on a bigger bike.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
i rode street bikes for 9 years before getting the 1k.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Its all in throttle CONTROL! Seems like the young guys have trouble controling themselves.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I started out on a 1996 Katana and after that it took me 7 years and 4 bikes later to get my first 1000 a zx10r an excellent bike just too many mechanical problems for me and now my k5 k1. I just dont see any reason to spend all that money on a 1000 if you really arent going to be able to use even alittle of it potental. I'm not saying I'm all that great of a rider. In fact I dont even ride may 1000 on the track I ride my 750 the 1000's a beast!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My first street bike ever is the 04 1K I have right now. I had ridden a dirt bike for about a year but it was only an XR200 so not really a comparison. Been riding ATVs a long time though. I've found that the main thing is to watch out for other people and keep myself from making mistakes. Cause after 1200 miles on my bike I havn't even touched the surface 1% of knowing how to ride. I've got A LOT of learning left before I am even an average rider.

·
Registered
472 Posts
+1before i leave for work if its raining and when i get home, and before i turn in for the night i go and check on my beautiful, puppy-baby-beast-bitch-friend-trusty steed-i cant help it. we go through some amazing times togrther that not too many other mortals on this earth can relate to, knowwhadamean?
it was the same way if not more so with my 94 gixxer 1100(firsy bike) sometimes after riding home late at night i would kick up my feet on the rear pegs and lay down on the gas tank and nap with her. maybe a little much, but i love my machines

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
My first bike was '95 KAWASAKI ZX-6R , after Kawi I bought '97 CBR 900RR after CBR was '99 R1 , 2001 VFR1000 RC51 and finally I bought LEFT OVER 2001 GIXXER 1K IN 2002.

Next bike ........................ 2K5 or 2K6
GIXXER 1K
AGAIN !!!!

<font color="blue"> I love GIXXER 1K ! </font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first streetbike I owned was an 02 1k, but I rode motorcycles before I road bicycles, started with a honda z50r... then moved up to kx80, then an RM250 and a 90hp toomey tuned banshee. raced mx for a few years and road my friends 600's race bikes and other bikes (superhawk,duc 750 ss) for a few summers. I actually got the 1k because one of my best friends died in a cage accident in dec. he had the 1k and it wasnt payed off, so instead of sticking his folks with the bills or having some schwank buy it i took over the payments and now I'm making it into a show bike as a memorial for my boy- If I was to buy a new bike I think I'd prolly go with a 636 or something like that. with all the hype about liter bikes for straight lines- well according to the new cycle world gadson took a yami 600 ( i think) into the 9's in the 1/4 with a gear change and straps so other than top speed and corner exit traction the 6's are getting very close to the liters...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I started riding at age 25 (1986) on a Yamaha FZ600. If I recall correctly it put out about 70 HP. It was stolen during my first year of ownership and I replaced it with another just like it but a year newer. At the time the FZ was the sharpest handling 600 available and even with the meager performance by today's standards was a blast to ride.

I got into the club racing scene and acquied a Gixxer 750 to race on. It was HUGE in comparison to my 600 and was a lot faster. I kept the 600 for the street. The 750 was fun, but not nearly as flickable, so I sold it and bought a Yamaha FZR400 to race. That thing was a blast. Revved to the moon and was lauded as the best handling sportbike buring the late eighties and even the early 90's.

I fell in love with the 1st generation CBR900RR in 1993 and bouth one as soon as they hit the streets. It was small for an open class bike and handled great (with the adddition of a steering damper and shock work). I kept it until 2000.

I was motorcyleless for about 4 years while other financial obligations needed to be met. I acquired my 1000 last October and think it's easily the best bike I've ever owned or ridden.

So, without a consious choice, it's taken me almost 20 years to want a 1000. I've enjoyed each of my bikes to the fullest extent of my desire and ability and never really wanted for more. Top speed runs and drag racing aren't in my riding preferences, so blistering speed is less important than stability and handling, which you can find all throughout the displacement range these days.

I enjoy my 1000, for it's broad torque and effortless acelleration from almost any engine speed. I bought it since I felt like a 750 wouldn't be much different in torque and HP rating from my old 900, and I wanted a perfomance "upgrage"

Holy shit did I ever get one!
The 1000 is just about too much for the street. I'm not regretting the purchase, but a 750 probably would have been a better bike for me in hindsight. It's sharper handling, easier to afford and insure and looks the full business!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
First bike was a honda F4, had it for 5 months then up to an 02 1K. Took about a month to get used to just riding it around the city - the combination of the rear spinning, light front end and the bike not even trying at the speed limit is enough to get you in trouble quick. I've had it for a year and a half and can do almost anything I want with it - it's all about control but no doubt you will have your moments when you get the 1K early in your motorcycle riding career.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts