Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '92 750 w/ an oil temp gauge. I regularly see 80-90C on the highway (in south florida) and over 100C in traffic. What would be overheating? 110 120

What happens if it overheats?

· Registered
378 Posts
I can't see 120°C (~250°F) as being "damaging" to the engine... cuts the life expectancy of the oil 'way back but it's not gonna hurt any of the metal bits.

My B12 got up over 300°F in the pan a few times when it was 12.5+:1 (stuck in Summer traffic), so there's no doubt it was well over that up on top of the cylinder head... never seemed to hurt it whatsoever but I did change the oil promptly after those extreme temps.

· Registered
977 Posts
GSXR1198, what size main jets are you running--15's?
300 is crazy!

· Registered
2,304 Posts
well.... last year (during a race) my oil temp got to ~145C (293F) and I blew my engine at the end of the main straight.... bearings were fine, but one piston and sleeve 'fused' so you get the picture....

I used synth oil btw.

Anything above 110-115C and you'll see smoke coming out of the breather hose, not good either...

and yep, once I installed the temp sensor at a head plug, and temps were waaaay higher than at the pan. Above readings were at the pan tho.

· Streetfighting Monster
1,085 Posts
the highest i ever saw on my bike was 135 °C ( sender in the pan ) whilst sitting in traffic just after a really good thrashing on a hot day ( ambient temp of around 32 °C ) - it was a 1216 motor running 13.8 :1 CR on 98 octane fuel . Static advance was 0°. Carbs were RS38's on pods and were jetted perfectly .

Like the dude above ,i changed the oil pretty quickly after this extreme temp was recorded.
Normal temps for my bike were between 110 °C - 120 °C during very 'spirited' riding

and around 90 °C cruising on a fully warmed up motor .

Lee

· Premium Member
127 Posts
UK Lee- I just built a motor that sound very similar to your set up. I'm still looking at spark plug options. What brand/model plug are you running? What method does England use to rate the 98 octane fuel? (ROM, MOM, R+M/2)

· Streetfighting Monster
1,085 Posts
it's 98 octane RON - usually branded over here as 'Super Unleaded' - i dont know if you dudes get it , but Shell market a super unleaded fuel called 'Optimax' , my bike ran really sweet on this stuff.

i usually ran the 7/11 on NGK JR9B plugs i did try JR10B but never noticed any difference. These plugs worked really well with no problems . Later on i upgraded my Ignition system to a Dyna 2000 , Dyna 2.2ohm coils and 9mm silicone leads. There was a noticable difference in performace / running / easier starting etc .The JR9B plugs still worked fine , but i found they were more critical of correct gap settings , and seemed to wear out faster.

I switched to NGK Platinum plugs ( DR9 EVX ) and immediately noticed they were better - particularly when running above 75hp of Nitrous. They lasted forever , and needed much less maintainence of the gap.

These plugs are still in the bike today , and would be my first choice on a tuned oil cooled motor.

lee

· Registered
378 Posts
well.... last year (during a race) my oil temp got to ~145C (293F) and I blew my engine at the end of the main straight.... bearings were fine, but one piston and sleeve 'fused' so you get the picture....
lol Unh huh... the picture I get is: "too lean"

Since the original question was regarding engine temps in high ambient/slow traffic situations I dunno how germane that end-of-the-straightwaway experience is here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.