Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, because my last bike was an FZR600. Someone on the FZR forums announced that he had discovered the reason why these bikes (FZR600s) have weak transmissions--because FZR trannys are made from aluminum foil, toothpicks, and marshmallows. So for this reason, I tried to be gentle with the old bitch. Now I ride an '86 750. As far as Gixxers, I'm just wondering if any of you hard riders have any "bulletproof" stories for me. If I change my oil after every ride, and set my valve clearances at every gas station, can I enjoy the powerband whenever I want?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
JUST WATCH THAT SLAMING IT UP IN SECOND. CAUSE THEY ARE KNOWN FOR SECOND GEAR TO MESS UP. WHEN YOU SLAM IT UP IN THERE ALOT IT IS SMOOTH SHIFTING IF YOU DO IT RIGHT THOUGH

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
i tossed 2nd gear in my FZR600 back about 9 years ago. they do have small gears, still have it on my bench. the 750 gears are not that much bigger but do seem to take more abuse. providing you can shift decent the tranny shoulf last a while.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't bang second, so that should'nt be a problem. What about the ability of the bike to maintain good compression for a long time. What about the ability to survive without thing like pitted cams and such? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
to answer how long one of these oil coolers will last. mine had 50600 miles on it when the crank finally let loose, i was down about 10 hp from what it should have been before that. and i was never easy on it. now i also did the maintenance alot sooner than required to. the oil i changed at 2000, and i used full synthetic. the only thing that went bad before the crank snapped was the clutch started sliping. every day i rode it i went through the gears wot (well i know thats not possilbe in first so once i got going in first then Wot) i was never realy easy on this bike and i still havent been. now im not saying they are bullet proof my second motor lost second a few months after installation, but the motor was used so i can say how it was maintained.

any way you take of that bike and it should take care of you.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well my 91 750 has almost 42000 miles, I commute 5 days a week and do 1-2 track days a month and raced it for the first time last month and was the oldest bike by 10 years and didn't finish last. It still runs solid, doesn't burn oil and pulls 100 HP at the wheeel on the dyno. Not to bad for a dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does "slipped a ring" mean? Did you break a ring?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My 1100K had over 60K original miles on the motor and was doing 9.9x ET's with a 40-shot of nitrous last summer. I pulled it apart over the winter to put some Carrillo rods and forged pistons in it so I can abuse it some more. The pistons that came out looked so good that I was able to sell them on eBay to a guy who wanted them for an 1109cc kit on a 1052 motor.

The only thing that *needed* to be replaced in the motor was the valve-guides and the cam-chain. I figure that's about right for a motor that gets treated that way with 60K miles (the service-manual agrees with me).

One last thing - on the cam-pitting thing - that's usually the result of letting a bike sit out in the weather, un-ridden for a long period of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my '92 new. at 64,000 miles we pulled the engine apart to put in a big bore kit. Everything in the bottom end spec'd out perfect. The cams and rocker arms were significantly worn - I don't know why. We replaced them with new oe rocker arms, and aftermarket cams. The stock carbs were worn out also so we put on Keihin Flatslides. Of course I had head work done while it was apart.

Up to this point the bike had been a daily rider as well as CCS and FUSA racing on the weekends.

After putting in the big bore kit I raced and rode the bike all the time until around '98 (I got a '98 gsx-r750) At that point the old one became a spare bike. it had 96,000 miles on the odometer.

shortly after that the speedometer needle fell off, so I took the odometer/speedometer off the bike. I still ride the bike a couple times a month, and I still beat the crap out of it. Now it smokes some, and has some blowby, but still pulls like you wouldn't believe. It has well over 100k miles on a totally stock bottom end.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice. Thanks for the reply, CBRworm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 86 has 42K, but needs 1st gear? I am third and fifth owner of the bike. Bike was abused by everyone but me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.