Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride on Long Island, NY where the traffic is becoming unbearable (& un-avoidable)! Stop and Go, Stop and Go... This heats up the bike real quick.

So after waiting at a light for a couple of minutes and I start to take off my bike just doesnt want to move. I am forced to ride the clutch a bit to get the RPM above 4K just to move.

Anyone else experience this?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got the exact same problem yesterday!
I'm on the East coast (kinda) too and it was hot yesterday. Mine got so bad that because I had to ride the clutch so bad I stalled it and then it wouldn't start again. I had to let it sit for a minute or too and it fired up again but still ran like shit. Once I left it for a couple hours and let it cool down, it was fine. Anyone else?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
if the bike won't hold an idle and wants to stall, and the oil pressure light starts to flicker, those are signs that the bike is starting to overheat. this really shouldn't happen unless you're caught in heavy stop and go traffic....once you get moving at a decent clip and the oil cooler gets some airflow through it, you should be okay.

otherwise, there's really not much you can do at that point except turn off the bike and let it cool down a bit.

running a good synthetic oil and/or a thicker weight oil (like 20w50) can also help. i've also heard of people putting fans on their oil coolers....

an oil temp gauge would be a very good investment (i used to notice on my old '86 that if the oil temp got to around 130°c/266°f, the bike would start to show overheating symptoms)....lockhart sells several different models.

[ 04-20-2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I'm stuck in heavy traffic the clutch gets very grabby. When the motor is very hot it makes a knocking noise when idling. I don't know how bad this is for the engine. Would this kind of overheating cause permanent damage to the motor?
I would think that if overheating were a problem Suzuki would have fitted a fan behind the radiator.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know It doesn't get that hot over here, but when it does, everyone and his/her dog heads for the coast (err... where I live) and the roads get loaded with all the morons in creation, so riding anywhere is a pain. I can honestly say my bike has never even so much as once complained

The idle speed increases to about 1100 though.

Jeff may have something with the oil though, I change mine every month and it may be the reason I don't get any trouble. Just my two cents worth

[ 04-22-2002, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: EarL ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hot.........over here in North Wales....well the discs get hot but as for the oil nah.........

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts