Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about people getting their bikes dynoed that they have either a hard or soft engine. Without spending all the cash to run it up on the dyno, how can you tell if you have a soft one or a hard one?

I tried to tap the side of my engine with a hammer, it seemed hard enough, it made a thwack noise and the hammer bounced back. To get a varied sample of hard and soft so I could make sure the thwack and bounce back was common, I used the hammer on my willy when it was all floppy and it kind of went squish and didn't bounce back. I then went into the hairy palms section and then repeated the experiment. Sure enough the hammer made a thwack sound and bounced back so hard and fast that it smacked be in the face, it almost took my eye out.. So does this mean I don't have a soft engine and I do have a hard one?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
#1 you need to remove the exhaust, header and all and then start the engine. #2 go check out the Hairy palms forum again.
I think what your really lookin for is inside the engine. After you test your "willy" again and make sure it's hard, just stick it in the engine where you removed the header from.
This should give you a good base to start from so you can really find out what is hard

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
You have t use a sledge hammer on the motor. Make sure you give it a good wack. If it cracks open its a soft motor.

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
biting it is good... if you bite your engine and it leaves tooth marks you have a soft engine. Kinda like gold, but not as nice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts