Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I need to replace the fuel tank in order to get it running again, and was wondering if anyone had a how to for it. I just don't know what to plug since there is a lot of gas in the old tank, and I want to make sure I do it right, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You shouldn't have any fuel running out of it....Only what is left in the fuel hose when you disconnect it. The fuel pump is on the bottom of the tank and stops it from running out.

I thought I would get flooded too the first time I took mine off, but no problem

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
1. take seat off (two bolts under seat)
2. disconnect battery
3. the two botls up at top of gas tank by the neck of frame remove them.
4. prop up gas tank look under and you see at base of tank a nipple disconnect the lines and you can put a screw inside the line you remove(only the big one coming from tank) gas may spill out just a lil so be ware not that much.
the small line you just take off remember where it goes thoes it should be simple.
6. disconnect the fuel tank pump wire you should see it just simple snap off.
7. let the tank back down and remove the two bolts at rear of tank with hinges.
8. pull tank up like you gonna prop it but at same time lift up.
9. the lines on the end of it should be okay just pull it out if need be you have a friend have him watch so he is to make sure no lines are caught up on the vent tubes in rear i hope this help

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
You also need to take off the tail section because the hinge of the tank also holds the front part of the tail section. That or at least undo the two screws in the center of the tail section and remove the two side screws on the side of the rear part of the tail and pop the two holders that pop into the female rubber pieces. Kinda confusing-let me know if you have any questions.

-Spooner

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help so far everyone. I won't have any specific questions until I do the install on Wednesday (when the replacement tank comes in).
I would still appreciate any other pointers, pics, etc that you can provide as I just want to have this replacement go smoothly.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
What exactly you need to see so i can photo it and stuff gonna put them up in few gona go pick up my camera

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually got it done. Kind of a pain, since the gas freaked me out a little. Can you tell me where to the two plugged in hoses are supposed to run? They just vent to the atmosphere, correct?
Also, do you know how to get the front fairing off? I see where the screws are, but I can't get to them; the internals such as the speedo are in the way.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
to take the front faring off the easiest way i found takes more time but you wouldnt want to break anything.. is to take the wind screen off than unplug the speedo then take the speedo off.than youl see 2 bolts that were hiding under the speedo take those off and it will come off easly. i have the same bike 97 gix 600. peace hope i could be of assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts