Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
meep meep
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought aftermarket clipons and was wondering how everyone has them positioned. Do you keep it like stock, or have them out a bit more? The bike is track only now if that makes a difference.

·
I'm Kinda Like A Big Deal
1,185 Posts
I have mine out a bit more. What I do is tighten them up a little (where I can still move them around) and then sit on the bike and get in a riding position and then move them to where I need them to be. After I have them where I want them I jump off the bike and tighten them completely.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Out and swept forward.

I used to ride motocross and I like having that extra leverage. Plus if you look at alot of the pro's they do the same thing. The first time you ride with the bars swept farther forward like that you'll be surprised how much better leverage you have on the front end to put it where you want it rather than having them swept back in the stock position pinching your wrists back. Helps get your elbow up and out, again for better leverage.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Also harder to break a thumb between the bar and the frame if you happen to have a tank slapper and the steering goes lock to lock depending how far back the stock position is.

·
Wants to blow a dude named Benjamin
808 Posts
As far out as I can get them. I'm limited by the fairings so I can't get them as far out as is comfortable but it's wider than stock for sure.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
I have mine wider than stock also. Mine are pretty wide; i feel as if i can transition better (especially in high speed switchbacks, like at Barber) with the clip-ons out wide.

I use the Renthal clip-ons from RidersDiscount because they have the little markings on them and you can get them both exactly the same.

Yeah, im anal like that. :D Without the markings, it is kinda like somebody else sitting in and adjusting the drivers seat in the truck, it just never feels quite right.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,170 Posts
I have mine out a bit more. What I do is tighten them up a little (where I can still move them around) and then sit on the bike and get in a riding position and then move them to where I need them to be. After I have them where I want them I jump off the bike and tighten them completely.
:stupid

i have mine mounted to the fork tubes.
:lol

·
meep meep
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have mine wider than stock also. Mine are pretty wide; i feel as if i can transition better (especially in high speed switchbacks, like at Barber) with the clip-ons out wide.

I use the Renthal clip-ons from RidersDiscount because they have the little markings on them and you can get them both exactly the same.

Yeah, im anal like that. :D Without the markings, it is kinda like somebody else sitting in and adjusting the drivers seat in the truck, it just never feels quite right.
yeah i got a set of the renthal's makes it awesomely easy to set them to the same.

I will try out moving them out a bit this sunday, it makes sense having them out more than stock after thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts

Haha, i agree. I hate when my wife takes my truck. I feel like an oompa loompa stole it trying to get in smashing my knees on the bolster and all that crap.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I run them a bit farther forward than stock, but MUCH wider. I have almost zero bar left inboard of the clipon.

·
AKA Pee Wee Herman
6,090 Posts
I pushed mine out a little further than stock on the GSXR, Bob also helped me by showing me how to align the levers with my hands (did this on both bikes) so my wrists are straighter when sitting on the bike, not wrists down and hands up. I might try pushing mine out a little bit more as well as turning them out a bit more too.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Lever position is HUGE in fighting fatigue.

Grab a rubber ball and squeeze it as hard as you can. Notice back of hand is in line with forearm.

Now try it with wrist bent one way or the other.

You will soon learn why having the levers in line with your arms is crucial like 1/4milecrazy mentioned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
1/4milecrazy
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing