Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How do you guys start your bike?

16K views 48 replies 43 participants last post by  I'm-a-punk 
G
#1 ·
Got a question, how do you start your bike? What I mean is do you crack your throttle on start up? When my bike is cold it fires right up even without the choke. When it has been ridden for a few hours, it cranks for a while before catching really slowly. If I crack the throttle I can get it to start sooner but is this necessary?

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

#3 ·
Comparing my old F3 carbs to the GSXR injectors is a world of diffference, I love the 30sec warm up and then go. None of that stalling stuff. Like WHT95GT says:

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WHT95GT:
when it's cold I use the choke and it starts right up. when it's warm i have to give it a little gas.<hr></blockquote>

#5 ·
No throttle crackin' here. I just:

*Slide the fast idle on
*Fire her up
*Wait 'til thermo gauge says 75, slide fast idle off
*Wait 'til thermo gauge says 100, then ride away.

My typical morning routine.

#47 ·
kinda similar problem. on a cold start or semi cold/warm it will start fine. but if i shut it off and walk in/out of a store or whatever and crank back up, i need just a touch of the throttle to turn her over. i dont know why, but thats how it is

Injected or carbed?

Injected you shouldnt need to touch the throttle.
and why is this? i have injected, and i need to give it a light twist, very light though. only when its real hot. i had a carbed bike before and hell, i can turn off, start it up, turn it off, start it up as many times as i wanted so i mean...:dunno

#10 ·
Aye, ditto.

Cold-start : 1/2 choke and she'll fire first go.

Warm-start : no choke, but it takes a few more turns for it to fire up, and it's weaker than the cold start.

What's your idle rpm running at ???

my idle rmp is below 1000rpm, around 750 rpm. With choke, it's like 1100rpm-1200rpm.

Campo's choking his @ 5000rpm.
Hmmmmmm......

Chilling after along day,
and watching the SBK....

KaTz

#11 ·
when the bike doesn't wanna stay "ignited" upon starting...I turn the fast idler half way...wait until the temp read out reaches 75F or so....switch off the idler...and warm up until 120 before I take off

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Leonardo629 ]</p>

#13 ·
I don't start it

lol

I have to give it a little choke to get her started in the am. You should let the oil start flowing before you really crack the throttle open though. I usually wait for the water temp gage to kick in then off I go.

jontflesh

#14 ·
Ah, I see you have carbs! Then a little crack might be just what she needs to get going.

Stay off the crack LOL. Fuel injection, should require no throttle to start, your mileage may vary.

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: blazeone ]

#15 ·
I have to use the choke and give it some gas on a cold start-up. Even when its warm I need to give it a little bit of gas. It just doesn't seem to want to turn over fast enough.

#16 ·
During summer (i.e. not that cold) I use 1/2 choke from a cold start, then back off the choke as soon as possible

In winter I use full choke, then back off to half choke once fired, then as above.

A warm start is usually OK, no choke, no throttle unless it's very hot, in which case 1/4 throttle works fine.

#18 ·
If its EFI, don't ask me, I'm a dinosaur. But with all the CV carbs I've met (first name basis), just choke and go. If you use the throttle, you've effectively bypassed the choke anyhow, since on bikes its a separate intake circuit.

#19 ·
When my bike's cold I have to use the choke to get it started. If I don't it'll fire up, sputter, then die. I usually run the choke for about 20 secs. and then take it off and she settles in to a nice idle. I don't usually take off unless the bike's warm.

#21 ·
I always give it just a little gas as I crank it. Not a whole lot just a little. Only truly needs it when it's really cold. Like wrapped up Eskimo cold.
stef
BTW when it's that cold it's cage time for Stillie

#22 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Drizzt:
Katz, try increase the idle to 1000-1200 revs..<hr></blockquote>

The reasons why i havent changed the rpm to 1200 is that :

1) It's been idling b\t 750-1000rpm since i bought the bike, and it's never stalled and started first time everytime.

2) When i got my carbs synched 3000kms ago, the mechanic didnt change the idle rpm either.

My philosophy is not to change it because there isnt any signs that the bike is running bad.

If u know a reason why, plz let me know.

Or am i volunteering as a guinea pig....

Thanx,
KaTz

#23 ·
I used to run my idle down low and it made low speed riding a bit of a pain (walking pace filtering etc.) I upped it to the Suzuki recommended 1200 rpm and it felt a whole lot better.

#24 ·
It took me a while to work out the best way to start my bike. I found on morings half choke then it starts straight up. Then after the temp gauge comes on line then I slowly take off the choke and its all go.

Its tempting to give it some throttle but not necessary.

#25 ·
Starting the Suzuki:
1) insert key
2) turn key clockwise
3) press start button
4) go ride

Starting my Harley
1) Insert key
2) Turn ignition on
3) Pull choke lever on
4) Wack throttle open
5) Crank over
6) crank some more
6a) wack throttle again
7) continue to crank
8) crank until it cant crank anymore
9) get out battery charger
10) charge battery
11) Repeat steps 1-5
12) pull off air cleaner
13) spray in some starting fluid
14) repeat steps 1-5
15) recharge battery again
16) repeat steps 13 & 14
17) reinstall battery, air cleaner, & seat
18) put tools away
19) put bike cover back on
20) go ride gixxer

#26 ·
KENNEDY ahhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaa dats right! good one

I use fast idle when cold, fires right up.

most times when mine's hot it wont start at all
but I'm working on that, getting a new starter regardless

a heard that with the EFI SRAD's going WFO before cranking helps somehow? I dont see how anyone got pointers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.