Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question, how do you start your bike? What I mean is do you crack your throttle on start up? When my bike is cold it fires right up even without the choke. When it has been ridden for a few hours, it cranks for a while before catching really slowly. If I crack the throttle I can get it to start sooner but is this necessary?

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
when it's cold I use the choke and it starts right up. when it's warm i have to give it a little gas.

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
Comparing my old F3 carbs to the GSXR injectors is a world of diffference, I love the 30sec warm up and then go. None of that stalling stuff. Like WHT95GT says:

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WHT95GT:
when it's cold I use the choke and it starts right up. when it's warm i have to give it a little gas.<hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I guess i'm lucky...warm or cold mine starts right up without using the choke or having to give it gas...just push the button and off I go.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
No throttle crackin' here. I just:

*Slide the fast idle on
*Fire her up
*Wait 'til thermo gauge says 75, slide fast idle off
*Wait 'til thermo gauge says 100, then ride away.

My typical morning routine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know with mine if its hot I have to give it some gas. My pops explained it to me its because the gas will evaporate before it enters the combustion chamber so it needs some extra flow to get her to fire...

·
Registered
347 Posts
With my bike, when it's cold, first try, it starts right up. Usually when it's warm, I have to try it twice. I was also wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I rarely use any throttle to start the bike, fast idle works fine, and choke on the gixxer works fine as well

·
Registered
0 Posts
When it's cold, key, clutch, choke, ignition and rev no higher than 5000 rpm until choke kicks in.
Warm to 50 degrees centergrade then bugger orf!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Aye, ditto.

Cold-start : 1/2 choke and she'll fire first go.

Warm-start : no choke, but it takes a few more turns for it to fire up, and it's weaker than the cold start.

What's your idle rpm running at ???

my idle rmp is below 1000rpm, around 750 rpm. With choke, it's like 1100rpm-1200rpm.

Campo's choking his @ 5000rpm.
Hmmmmmm......

Chilling after along day,
and watching the SBK....

KaTz

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
when the bike doesn't wanna stay "ignited" upon starting...I turn the fast idler half way...wait until the temp read out reaches 75F or so....switch off the idler...and warm up until 120 before I take off

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Leonardo629 ]</p>

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Katz, try increase the idle to 1000-1200 revs..

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
I don't start it

lol

I have to give it a little choke to get her started in the am. You should let the oil start flowing before you really crack the throttle open though. I usually wait for the water temp gage to kick in then off I go.

jontflesh

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ah, I see you have carbs! Then a little crack might be just what she needs to get going.

Stay off the crack LOL. Fuel injection, should require no throttle to start, your mileage may vary.

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: blazeone ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to use the choke and give it some gas on a cold start-up. Even when its warm I need to give it a little bit of gas. It just doesn't seem to want to turn over fast enough.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
During summer (i.e. not that cold) I use 1/2 choke from a cold start, then back off the choke as soon as possible

In winter I use full choke, then back off to half choke once fired, then as above.

A warm start is usually OK, no choke, no throttle unless it's very hot, in which case 1/4 throttle works fine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Put in the key, turn it, full choke, pull in the clutch, push start, starts right up, put on helmet gloves and whatever else, (shorts and sandals, J/K
) let it get up to about 85 degrees F and go.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If its EFI, don't ask me, I'm a dinosaur. But with all the CV carbs I've met (first name basis), just choke and go. If you use the throttle, you've effectively bypassed the choke anyhow, since on bikes its a separate intake circuit.

·
Super Moderator
15,097 Posts
When my bike's cold I have to use the choke to get it started. If I don't it'll fire up, sputter, then die. I usually run the choke for about 20 secs. and then take it off and she settles in to a nice idle. I don't usually take off unless the bike's warm.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Just turn key and start button, no choke needed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts